• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis control- WARNING sensitive subject) THURSDAY 23 August update

What is the best approach for the rabbits involved?

• Isolate and treat individual rabbits- euthanaise as necessary.

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Euthanaise any rabbit showing symptoms

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Another approach (please give suggestion)

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters
One question - what do the South American rabbits have that the European ones don't? :?

"Myxomatosis is caused by a virus first seen in laboratory rabbits in Montevideo, Uruguay, in 1896. It was tolerated by South American strains of rabbit, but was almost invariably lethal to their European cousins."

A rogue gene that protects them :?

Adele it sounds as though the Bunnies are doing well thanks to your devoted nursing care.
Can I ask a question about the 'blood in wee' please. Is the Kidney damage due to secondary bacterial infection or is it that Myxo nodules affect internal tissue too?

Janex

Glad to hear everyone is doing Ok Adele.

Will keep on sending healing vibes to you all. X

A rogue gene that protects them :?

Adele it sounds as though the Bunnies are doing well thanks to your devoted nursing care.
Can I ask a question about the 'blood in wee' please. Is the Kidney damage due to secondary bacterial infection or is it that Myxo nodules affect internal tissue too?

Janex

Aaawwww thanks Jane:oops: :D :D
I believe it is the Myxo nodules affecting internal tissue and causing severe inflammation (and some bunnies had the same in their intestines and bowel....Boadicea started with blood in her droppings).
All the bunnies had strong antibiotics the minute I spotted the first signs, which is to protect them from secondary infection(and none have had chest problems or nasal discharge proper).
The vet has advised me to keep up with the antibiotics for several weeks post nodules falling off, to ensure bunnies are protected when they are low.
I gave Ceporex by injection from onset at acute time of infection, but switched to Baytril when nodules started drying up or falling off.

Aaawwww thanks Jane:oops: :D :D
I believe it is the Myxo nodules affecting internal tissue and causing severe inflammation (and some bunnies had the same in their intestines and bowel....Boadicea started with blood in her droppings).
All the bunnies had strong antibiotics the minute I spotted the first signs, which is to protect them from secondary infection(and none have had chest problems or nasal discharge proper).
The vet has advised me to keep up with the antibiotics for several weeks post nodules falling off, to ensure bunnies are protected when they are low.
I gave Ceporex by injection from onset at acute time of infection, but switched to Baytril when nodules started drying up or falling off.

Thanks Adele. I hope I never need to use the info' but should the unthinkable happen I will come to you for advice. Maybe one 'good' thing to come out of this nightmare is the insight you will have gained about Myxo and you may be able to help others should they find themself having Buns affected by the evil virus.

Janex

It is very encouraging Adele that so many of your buns are either getting better, or staying well, but am so terribly sorry about your losses and the drain this all must be on you. I hope that every day brings more and more good news.
One question - what do the South American rabbits have that the European ones don't?
To Add:
In South America (N. and Central also) the wild rabbit is the cottontail, which have a different genus than the wild European rabbit. The virus does kill the domestic rabbits in the Americas which are the same as the European rabbit. But I see your point Chloe, even tho distantly related, why can't a better vaccine be made by studying the cottontail's resistance?

Hello, I just wanted to give yous an update as to what is happening at the Sanctuary, as it has been a few days since I gave the last report.

Many of the first Flush of bunnies who had Myxo are almost back to normal:D
They now have just a few sores areas where the nodules were, so I am using diluted tea tree oil to speed up the healing process, and keeping bunnies on antibiotics for another week yet.
Saturday was a landmark day , as it was the first time in over three weeks that Arthur, Coco, Merlin, and Boadicea the Giant could be outside in the avairies:D :D The bunnies were so excited to see the great outdoors again, it was wonderful to see them binkying without a care in the world:D
The bunnies unaffected by Myxo are still indoors and in isolation .

LARKSPUR our pretty little Cashmere Lop with lung damage, is doing AMAZINGLY well:D :D :D I was so sure La La would have to be put to sleep but she has proved me and the vet wrong, and is bouncing around !!:shock:
Poor poppets face is absolutely covered in nasty nodules, she has more than the other rabbits put together:? La La has swollen genitals, which the other bunnies did not have, so it as hard for her to pass urine.
A few days of expressing urine manually helped La La on her way, and she is now past the peak of the Virus:D
We had a 7 day break of any further cases, but then yesterday we discovered TAMSIN New Zealand White has Myxo:evil: :evil: :? :?
All the bunnies in what was BOBBYs playhouse have now been affected except for Mauna Angora and Millie Lionhead:? :?
Whatever we do, from de fleaing all the bunnies individually and their playhouses, has not stopped the spread of the disease, though it has slowed its progress down .
Tamsin only seems to have a mild case at the moment, so fingers crossed she will be fine.
I am up to my eyeballs in giving meds and fluids to all the bunnies each morning still, so please forgive me for not being in the forum much.
David and I have been completely overwhelmed by all your messages here in the forum and by PM too, bless you for keeping us going.

Love Adele

I`m so pleased to hear many of the bunnies are so much better, but so sorry to hear tamsin now has it:cry:

Sending continuous healing vibes for the bunnies & stay strong vibes for you & david.......................

Thinking of you
Su.x

Well done to you and David!!! You are doing a fantastic job for your buns!

Im sending lots of healing and protection vibes ~*~*~

Back