• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis control- WARNING sensitive subject) THURSDAY 23 August update

What is the best approach for the rabbits involved?

• Isolate and treat individual rabbits- euthanaise as necessary.

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Euthanaise any rabbit showing symptoms

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Another approach (please give suggestion)

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters
I think in a 'home' situation where there maybe only two rabbits if the rabbits were vaccinated I'd give it a go and hope they recover. If I had four or six rabbits I'd isolate and treat each rabbit individually as you have no way of knowing if the symptoms might be mild and easy to recover from.

However I do feel it's different if there are a lot of rabbits to consider in the case of a rescue, sanctuary or breeder. It must be a horrendous situation to be in but I think I'd pts if that would help to stop it spreading.

I find it unbelievable that 'man' thought this was an acceptable way of controlling the wild rabbit 'pest' situation :evil:

edit: thinking about it though, I remember Lucy's rabbits Harley and Honey and how much they suffered and also how much it cost her to get them through it and I honestly don't know what I'd do. I pray I never need to decide.

Last edited:
This is just awful, I am so, so sorry this has happened Adele, I hope all the buns are okay. :cry: Sending lots of vibes! xx

Do you know how long the disease can be harboured before symptoms appear?

If transmission was by biting insect the first visible symptom occurs about 4 days after inoculation. So an infected Rabbit could be asymptomatic yet infectious/contageous during those 4 days.

Janex

I don't envy you with those options Adele :?

What's the risk level of direct bun to bun transmission compared to the risk from biting insects?

I don't envy you with those options Adele :?

What's the risk level of direct bun to bun transmission compared to the risk from biting insects?

Not 100% sure but is it not via direct contact with the Myxo nodules and/or nasal or occular discharge :?

Janex

Last edited:
From what I've read they can't catch it from other bunnies, even living together, only from biting insects including fur mites. When they are very advanced with myxi the pus and snot can be contagious but you would never leave them together with apparently healthy buns that long anyway.

I must say I agree with eveerything sooz has said. You know the rabbits better than anyone, and I think we also get an insight as to whether they will recover or not. I think you know when you need to do what you need to do .... but I would try and isolate affected buns from the others as well.

I would pts any with full blown myxi or on a case by case basis if the nodules appear in a bad place or the bun is to frail to cope. I wouldn't routinely pts for nodular myxi tho.

The myxi must have originally come from the wild population so there is no guarantee infections not coming from there instead on the bunnies already with it.

AFAIK once they've had it that will act the same as a vaccination so they won't get it twice.

Tam

As a non Bunny owner, ( I am owned by a Cat who I would not risk a Bunny with,) but I have come to love Bunnies so much, and I know and love all Adele's Bunnies, I know how hard it has been for her nursing so many poorly bunnies at the same time for her.
Plus she also has others also needing special care.

I voted for isolate treat and euthanise if needed.

But some rescues just cannot afford vaccination and so for them there is no option but to euthanise any affected Bunny.

If one of my Bunnies got sick then I would try to nurse them better.

I would know when to stop and put the Bunny first.
But as a retired nurse who has bought my cat through many health crisises, I would have a go.

Adele has not wanted me to visit to see them so poorly as some i.e. Wilbur and King Arthur she told me had horrid sores. Not pleasant to see.

So Snuggle's and Bobby's deaths were hard for me as I did not get to say goodbye.

She wants me to remember them as I saw them both the last time, and Bobby in particular being able to run around the garden having taken him there almost twice the weight he had been. And from being a lone Bunny only able to take a few steps before he got out of breath, to a Bunny who would run and hide when he heard his hutch doors open in the evening, and then to bond to Mauna-Kea and then having 2 more girlies to care for.
Snuggles who I was fond of, had a near miss last year after a nasty bite to an artery was gushing, but once again Adele rushed into action ( despite her hate of blood) and got her to the vet in time to save her. She lived with Wilbur who is so cheeky and whom I have watched grow from a tiny little bunny to the lovely handsome boy he is now.

If I had any Bunnie, which I may in the future I would always ensure they were vaccinated.

But new strains of the illnesses emerge as we have seen this year and if this weather continues as it has been then the mosquito's will continue to bite Bunnies, but unvaccinated Bunnies, wild and city liver's will get the full blown disease and it is then probably inevitable that new strains will continue to emerge.

And with the UK not using the best vaccines available as they are not yet licensed here, we have to continue to make Bunny owner's aware of the illness and the need for continued vaccination with what we do have avaialable.

And perhaps petition the people who consider the licenses to license the European type as there has been such a rise in the illness here.
Where would we inundate with letters I wonder?!!;)

(The same as with human flu vaccine the powers that be, having to try and predict what type may need covering the following year.)

And in some Bunnies the vaccine may not work or not give full protection. Often dependant upon the individual Bunnies immune response.

But as many have said nursing 1 or 2 sick Bunnies is very different to having 29 Bunnies on the site at the same time and up to 7 all ill at one stage and having 24 others to monitor frequently, till 9 had succumbed to the illness and sadly 2 had to go to the Bridge.

But due to her wonderful care, Wilbur, Arthur, Poppy, Coco, Merlin, Boadicea are recovering but as she said some may be left with ongoing health problems.
Larkspur is not out of danger yet.
Our prayers and thoughts are still needed for Larkspur and all the Bunnies.

Slightly sort of off topic but...
The news is talking of humans contracting malaria is rising in the UK, as the number of mosquito's has increased due to the weather and the number of people reporting and needing treatment for bites and the disease has also dramatically increased.
And some of the mosquitos have bitten previous malaria carriers or sufferers here in the UK and have passed it on.

I had no success on Midlands Today, as I discovered Nick Owen was on holiday but in view of the item on mosquitoes on the news today, I shall send my e mail again to the newsroom.
The more the mozzies there are, the greater the risk of myxo spreading.

Last edited:
I would treat and pts where necessary. I would also like to know when you can vaccine again after a rabbits had myxi and where it's worth doing so?

I agree with Jane.

I think that as they are vaccinated, they have a chance of recovery. I would therefore want to do all I could to help the infected rabbits make it through.

Personally, I couldn't euthanise as a preventative measure because there is the potential for recovery.

It's a horrible situation for you to be in though, Adele; you are the only one who can make the call on what to do because you have to live with it.

Thank you so much for everyone who has contributed thoughts and ideas to this thread, we really are most grateful.
Please keep your opinions flowing , we will continue to read and reply to the thread.
I have spoken to my vet, and she confirmed that all the bunnies who have had Myxomatosis should be vaccinated in around 6 weeks after they have recovered. This contradicts my thoughts that rabbits have an immunity after infection, but the Myxo vaccine covers more than one strain anyway.
Tamsin mentionned that rabbits cannot get Myxomatosis after infection, which is what I would have believed in the past. However, Sir Galahad our Dalmation Rex got MYxomatosis for two years running, the nodular version(but perhaps could have been two different strains of Myxo??)
My vet said there is no right or wrong way to approach the control of the Myxomatosis here at the sanctuary and she will support whatever decisions we feel it necessary to make.
My head tells me to euthanaise every new case , but my heart wont let me do it, truly I cannot. People keep telling me how brave I am being, but I am not at all, just have to keep going for the sake of the bunnies.
I feel the only way I can continue is to treat each rabbit as an individual and euthanaise on medical grounds as necessary.
I have to give the the rabbits a chance, I owe them that much.
My life skill is caring for special needs bunnies, and this is the time to utilise those skills to the full.
my vet said nursing 6 rabbits back to health out of 8, especially when some of these had other problems to begin with, is a very good statistic.
Even if the Myxo spread to many more bunnies, at least we believe the majority could recover.
I just want the bunnies to have the best life we can give them, and it is about day to day quality of life.
Thank you for supporting us through this nightmare, and for allowing me to pose the question as what we should do, as I know the topic is not an easy one to have to consider.
I think it is important that our situation is known to others though, as it may help give ideas if anyone else ever finds themselves in this scenario.
With the changing climate and emergence of new Myxo strains, it is sadly likely that others will experience problems too.
Love Adele XX
PS One of the things that made my mind up for me this evening, was Larkspur bunny:shock: Larkspur has the darn Myxo , and quite a bad case too:( ....but she sat on me and enjoyed being groomed:D Larkspur licked me for first time ever in three years:shock: :shock::D :D I think she knew I was upset and she was there for me at my lowest ebb, now I must be there for her in her darkest days too.

Last edited:
I know you will do everything possible to help get the affected Buns through this and to minimise the risk to the other Buns.
You will know which Bun can keep fighting and which one may need to pass to The Bridge :cry:
EveryBun is an individual and only the person closest to them, ie you, can know what is best to do.
I just cant wait for the biting frosts of winter so as all the :censored: mozzis are wiped out.

Stay strong Adele, you will get through this although I am sure you must doubt that at times

Janex

I vote Other. I would go for Isolate and treat individual rabbits, but no euthanaise unless the bunny is in pain and there is no useful treatment and no improvement.

And I'm glad we have a sticky on this to warn this new strain of myxi

I'm really sorry to hear this Adele, and my thoughts are with you and all your bunnies.

I voted for the first option, but I totally agree with Jane's point about non vaccinated rabbits being PTS :cry: It's completely heartbreaking but I don't think I could see one of my own suffer from the disease.

What an awful situation to be in, I hope you make the right decisions... I am sure you will, just consider how well you can cope with the situation, the vets advice and the other buns who aren't showing any signs at the moment.

My thoughts are with you, xx

when do nodules start to fall off?

The nodules begin to fall off from 7-14 days:)

Thanks again for your thinking of us and the bunnies:)

SATURDAY AM
no new cases since Thursday.
Larkspur our main worry is holding her own, and seems to be coping really well thus far:) Larkspur has very swollen glands around her bottom, and lots of small lumps on her face, but none on her eyes.
La-La (Her nickname) is taking fluids well, and I am getting more hopeful she can fight this, though the Virus wont peak in her for a few more days.
BOADICEA GIANT is doing BRILLIANTLY, I am really thrilled as this is the first day she has not had bloodied urine!!. Beau seems to be bouncing with vitality and is keen for her food(and now drinking plenty by herself).
ARTHUR, COCO and MERLIN are recovering, and bits of nodules are just startinig to fall off....the boys now have the bloodied urine, so am flushing them through with fluids every 2-3 hours, as this seems to speed up kidney healing.
The boys are all feeling much better as they busted out of the shed this morning, and were zooming around the garden doing mad binkies:shock: :shock: David and I could not catch them:shock: :lol: :lol:
None of the other rabbits are out in the garden or runs at the moment, so the boys enjoyed burning up some energies.
WILBUR fluffy lionhead has stopped spotting blood, this was a big concern...I have been flushing Wilbur through with fluids every few hours, and will continue to do so for at least another week yet.
Some of his urine is blood stained, but this is a huge improvement from the pools of blood that have been appearing over past 5 days.
I have a feeling Freya Angora and Witchazel Cashmere Lop are fighting the Virus, though no external nodules have appeared. Both girls started with the blooded urine, and were a bit off...so both are on antibiotics and having fluids.
This could be our 1oth and 11th case, but perhaps their immune systems are stopping the Virus from progressing further.
POPPY wild bunny is fully recovered, and did not need any intervention as she was drinking and eating well.
David and I were going to go out to a concert tonight for our 9th Wedding Anniversary, but we cannot leave the bunnies whilst they need fluids so regularly. We just would not relax and enjoy the concert anyway, so have opted to have a Chinese meal and watch DVD at home instead.
The bunnies need our every attention right now, but things will hopefully get easier over next few weeks.
I am not taking boarding bunnies in during September, firstly as we dont want any other bunnies to be put at risk (though we have never had a house bunny case), and as I need to spend every spare minute caring for the Sanctuary rabbits.

I will give yous an update tomorrow.
Love, Adele, David and all the lumpy , bumpy(and non lumpy bumpy) rabbits
XX

Oh that does sound positive for most of them - great idea with the fluid therapy :D

Hope you enjoy your anniversary meal and DVD :p

Having 14 rabbits that all live together this is something I had to concider carefully - what would I do if one of them contracted myxi? I think I would have to agree that I would go down the individual case route and take each situation as it came along. I couldn't pts one of my rabbits that had the possibility of pulling through but at the same time I couldn't put them through the horrors of chronic myxi. I lost my first bunny to myxi when I was little and it's a truely horrible disease to see a rabbit suffer from. The article below explains how myxi is spread and I would quarantine the affected rabbit(s) and try and prevent the infection spreading as much as humanly possible by implementing additional protective screening etc. and treat the symptoms as far as possible.

"Blood-sucking insects, including mosquitoes, fleas, lice, ticks, and mites, are the main method of spread. Direct transmission is possible, usually by the aerosol route. Those rabbits infected via this route usually develop nasal & eye discharges as part of the disease process. Transmission is also possible via infected hutches or enclosures. An owner may spread the virus from one rabbit to another. Similarly, animals that are congregated at rabbit shows or fairs may become infected if one of the rabbits has the disease and is shedding the virus." (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=18&cat=1803&articleid=3422)

One question - what do the South American rabbits have that the European ones don't? :?

"Myxomatosis is caused by a virus first seen in laboratory rabbits in Montevideo, Uruguay, in 1896. It was tolerated by South American strains of rabbit, but was almost invariably lethal to their European cousins."

Back