• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi jab price today

My previous vet used to charge around £11 for a myxi, one day a couple of years ago he said to me that they had to put the prices up as upon doing a standard review they discovered they'd been doing them at a loss for the past few years! So don't take it as read that those charging £11 are even covering their costs!

Personally I don't object to paying £20 for a myxi vaccine - after all say the vaccine does cost a tenner, I'm still taking up a consultation slot and getting a general health check for my buns. I don't think that is being ripped off or cashing in on outbreaks. I think it's just a fact that veterinary care is not cheap, vets have a lot of overheads and costs and its unrealistic to expect them to give us everything at cost price otherwise they'd go bankrupt.

I have no objection to paying the price as I have already stated, my point is that it seems to me the vets have pushed the prices up since the Myxi scare and it is a view I have seen expressed on several other threads. To suggest anyone would want them to go bankrupt is absurd. :shock:

The manufacturer hasn't put the price up, its the individual vet/company. It msy just be coincidence that they have had a proce increase as the outbreaks occured. Some vets put proces up slowly every few months and some just make a huge jump once/twice a year!

My surgery charges £23 for Myxi and VHD vacc inclusive.

Its £16 if only a myxi or VHD is given, its an incentive to get both done

The boosters are the same as the initial vacc in buns

Shame more vets couldn't offer incentives like that. Seems like a great idea.

I have no objection to paying the price as I have already stated, my point is that it seems to me the vets have pushed the prices up since the Myxi scare and it is a view I have seen expressed on several other threads. To suggest anyone would want them to go bankrupt is absurd. :shock:

I know you weren't - maybe I'm naive but I'd have thought it's more likely that either buying in more vaccines has made them aware that actually the price went up ages ago and they hadn't noticed, and/or the fact that more buns are coming in for vaccination means that more of their time is being taken up in 'free' consultations and therefore they are needing to bump up the prices to compensate for that.

I'm sure there are some vets out there who would deliberately make it more expensive to profiteer, but most I've come across have tended to plough all 'profits' back into animal care not their own pockets. I think it's very sad where it is the case that prices have been put up to make a quick buck though :cry:

I went to Friars Lane Linc Vet again.... :roll: It is about a mile from where I live so figured less stress for buns. Having VHD in 3 weeks.

Just had Daisy to the vet's today for hers - £9.82 - was £9.44 when Smudge had his in June.

Her VHD is due in two weeks - paid £10.56 for Smudge's in June so that will have probably changed a little too.

I too can get them checked over while there so I think the price I pay is great (especially compared to what some of you are paying).

I was told today by the vet that they have had a couple of cases of death caused by Myxi in vaccinated rabbits - such a shame.

Last edited:
I paid £15.92 on tues and VHD is usually more expensive.

I probably could get it cheaper but my vets have treated Arnie so well that I feel the price is best to pay for Kira too. Also get them checked and weighed for this price too which is good.

Although this seems more expensive than some of yours, her spaying due in december only costs £48 of which I feel is very reasonable.

Back