• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mystery illness

Sakura6267

Warren Scout
Yuki's problem hasn't been officially diagnosed yet and it's making me crazy! All the signs point to his teeth. He has serious dental issues. Sometimes he gets spurs 1 or 2 weeks apart! But the vet at the exotic animal clinic checked his teeth thoroughly on Thursday and said there were no spurs or other problems. But I'm thinking it could be something that can't be seen with the naked eye. Then the vet yesterday told me he had a mild strain of Snuffles. A rabbit expert online told me that the dark green discharge sounded more like Pseudomonas than Pasteurella. I think he has a foreign object up his nose, in his left nostril since that's where it's always coming from. Probably a strand of hay because the discharge is the same colour as hay. Or it's related to his teeth somehow.

The reason I'm so sure it's his teeth is because of the way he makes chewing motions with his mouth, the constant noises he makes with his teeth, (mostly clicking noises and it's not just purring), and the fact he eats vegetables but not pellets. The only illness I came up with in my research are in fact teeth problems, and this is exactly how I found out he had dental issues about 3 years back.

He has a bit of clear discharge in his nose sometimes, not running out really, just around his nostrils. I'm thinking of getting a radiograph done, but I'm afraid it will cost too much. I have already spent hundreds of dollars in the last 3 days, and I really have very little money left. But I want this problem diagnosed and taken care of now. I just can't stand seeing my baby so sick. :(

hi there, sorry your bunny is not well, firstly have you had x rays done of his head? it could be tooth roots prehaps? though im not sure if this would cause nasal discharge, has he had antibiotics and pain relief? and has he had a culture done of the discharge from his nose? x

I agree, I think a proper head and jaw Xray under a GA is your next step. They can check his teeth properly then, there are many causes for 'snuffles' which is just a collective term for an upper respiratory infection. It could be from elongated tooth roots (which the Xray would show) or any number of different respiratory pathogens....or both. Step, staph, pseudomonas, pasturella, MRSA are some of the more commone ones. Under a GA they would also be able to take a deep nasal swab for culturing any present bacteria and therefore find a more specific antibiotic to treat him with. He needs to be off any antibiotics for around 10 days though in order to give an accurate result from the nasal swab.
An Xray shouldn't cost too much hopefully and might be very helpful in finding out what is wrong, even locate a foreign body if there is one.
I should think some anti-inflammatory pain relief like metacam/meloxicam/carprofen etc would be very helpful to reduce any swelling but also make him feel more comfortable.
If there are respiratory pathogens then often a combination of antibiotics and even some antibiotic eye drops used at the same time can be very helpful to manage the condition.
Some people also find a few drops of pure echinacea tincture in the water can help boost the immune system.
I would go back to your vet and request an Xray under GA for his teeth and to take a nasal swab, provided his breathing is up to going under anaesthetic. Good luck :):wave:

Thanks. I was thinking of getting an x-ray done too. I am nervous about putting him under, though, since he's been sick and might be having some breathing problems. He is getting Metacam right now, but it's almost gone. I'll have to get some more tomorrow.

As for antibiotics, he is on Baytril at the moment, and the thing is it seems to be helping. He has been eating a lot more, and his energy level has improved. If the Baytril is working, then it must have been an infection. I'm thinking it was either in the mouth or nose and I'm still planning to get that checked out. The thing is, I want my regular vet to see him. Last week I kept getting these new doctors who just don't seem as experienced or knowledgeable about rabbits. I don't know why my regular doctor wasn't in, but I'm about to call to make another appointment and will ask about her. If she quit or something, I think I'm going to have to find another exotic vet clinic, even if we have to drive even further!

There are members on here with far more experience of buns then I.

Although the response to AB's indicates infection, & the green discharge suggests pseudomonas; pseudomonas cannot grow well in air.
This together with the unilateral nasal discharge does make me wonder about a foreign body in the nose, with complete obstruction of 1 nostril.

I agree that an XR is needed to look for tooth root incursion into a sinus.
I'm hoping that your bun can recover sufficiently to have a quick GA for XR AND examination of the back molars which cannot be seen well in a conscious bun, + examination of the nostril & possible flushing of that side, if the airway can be protected. An XR will not show "organic material" in the nose.

Everything crossed for your little bun, & hoping you get your usual vet. Please keep us updated.

I do want to get that nostril flushed just to clear up whatever is in there. It's strange that it's only the left nostril, so it does seem as if he inhaled something into it. I think sometimes he has trouble breathing, but it's hard to tell since the signs are pretty subtle.

I got an appointment with my regular vet for this afternoon, but after today she's gone for a week on holidays. I'm on my last money so today is seriously the last day I can go to this vet. I'm going to have her examine his mouth and nose under GA, and get her to take a culture swab as well as flushing out the nostril. My local vet accepts payment plans, but I don't think this one does. If I'm going to get an x-ray it will be at my local vet since it'll be much cheaper, and I'm sure they would be able to tell if there was anything unusual. We'll see how today goes, and if she can find the problem without an x-ray, that would be excellent. I do have full confidence in this vet as she has been working with rabbits for years.

Just wanted to add that teeth grinding (the 'clicky' noises you hear) doesn't necessarily mean there are dental problems, just that the rabbit has pain somewhere.

I can't believe I suggested it would! Brain not switched on :oops:

How did your vet appointment go? Any news? :wave:

No one suggested that an XR would show organic material! We would be looking at the tooth roots for elongation etc, & sinuses for evidence of poor drainage.
I only wanted to ensure that the OP was aware of this, & we made maximum use of the anaesthetic.

I can't believe I suggested it would! Brain not switched on :oops:

How did your vet appointment go? Any news? :wave:

Please check out my thread "Update on Yuki" where I wrote about the vet appointment. I guess I am making too many threads. Sorry about that. :oops:

Back