• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My sister's rabbit just choked!

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
She just rang me up and Dexter was choking! I found the thread on here and talked her through what to do. A lot of mucus came out and he seemed to stop choking. He is opening and closing his mouth now and coughing every now and then. She's just ringing the vets and she'll ring me back.

It was some celery treat from the hay experts. Any advice or vibes please.

I'd get the Vet to listen to his lungs again today. Aspiration pneumonia is a real risk in any choking event and personally I would hope the Vet might consider prescribing a covering antibiotic (a full course)

Hope Bun is OK now xx

Poor Dexter :( I can only imagine how frightening this must've been.
Vibes that he'll recover completely and quickly. I'd echo Jane in that he should be rechecked by the vet.
Comforting vibes to your sister and to you. (((((((Hugs))))))))

I'd get the Vet to listen to his lungs again today. Aspiration pneumonia is a real risk in any choking event and personally I would hope the Vet might consider prescribing a covering antibiotic (a full course)

Hope Bun is OK now xx

Exactly what Jane said.

Vibes for the lovely Dexter. My dad was really taken by him :love:

Hope Bun is OK now xx

As Jane said. When my bun choked recently, the vet prescribed a full weeks worth of Septrin although his lungs were clear at the time, as they thought the risk of aspiration pneumonia was too high not to.

I do hope Dexter will be ok. Mine stopped eating from the shock, and probably pain from it all, and went on to need treatment to get his tum going again.

Vibes for Dexter, and hugs to a probably very shocked bunny mummy xx

Thanks all. I've already advised her to take him to the vet this morning to get him checked. That other thread should be made a sticky! I'll keep you all updated when I know more.

Dexter is a bit special to me, he's the bun I rescued from the pet shop who I think is related to Grim.

Oh hope he's OK.

I read somewhere to hold the rabbit upside down and gently swing them to dislodge whatever they are choking on. No sure how true that is though.

I just thought I'd update. He was taken to the vets who couldn't hear anything on his chest, but he has got a nasal infection. He's on antibiotics for 7 - 10 days (baytril) and has been feeling really sorry for himself. She says he's perked up a little today but before that he just looked really tired. The vet thinks that the infection could be separate from the incident though, perhaps brought on by the stress of it all. :(

Vibes for a speedy recovery for Dexter ((((((((((((((healing vibes))))))))))))) poor bub!

Hope dexter is OK.

Where is the link on choking? I don't think I would know what to do if one of mine choked!

x

Back