• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbits should be taken away from me :(

Right Chloe you need to sit in front of a mirror and just repeat "I am a good bunny mum" over and over again. We all have feelings of uselessness I have for the last two days because I couldn't help a neglected bun. It doesn't make you a bad person to have frustrations. When I was at University Pierre was in my room and there were times where I wanted to bang my head against the wall, and he was neutered. He is just a destructive bunny. I think my favourite was turning my small room around about 3 times to stop him jumping on my head in the middle of the night and then jumping on my chest of drawers.

Maybe when you feel yourself rising and getting stressed just sit with them for a moment, watch them play and just be them and enjoy being with them again. Don't make rash decisions or you will regret them. Is it possible for you to see a different vet to get a second opinion?! Can Pud go outside at all? Just thinking if he has all this energy could you put him in a run for a few hours a day to help him get rid of frustrations?

Can you trust yourself to have Pud out of the cage at night?
A few tips to protect your room: carpet tiles are great in corners where bunnies like to play and dig.
I used bubble wrap to protect my corner walls to stop them being munched.

I could never sleep when Pierre was in a cage at night, I found that he and I got on better not putting him in the cage. 9 times out of 10 he would actually come and sleep on the bed with me and just be a pain around 6 - 7ish. Would you be allowed to do that?

We all go through rough times, so don't beat yourself up.

What you need to do is step back and look and see what you can do to try and change and improve things.

If you think you have depression (which often does coincide with Crohn's because of the lack of absroption, so might also tally with your physical health and condition) then seeking help for that might be a good start :)

Thankyou everyone for your advice, especially twiggygoo for all the suggestions :) pud can't really go outside because of the temperature differences, and he used to free range at night but he was so noisy and destructive that I didn't sleep for weeks, hence the cage now :/

There is a locum vet who is very rabbit savvy, I'm hoping to get hold of him!

Everyone feels like you with regards to guilt over how our buns are doing at one point or another, but here comes the different between a **** rabbit owner and a good one:

The good rabbit owner works through the guilt, and does the best he or she can for the buns why he or she sorts out whatever personal issues there are at the moment, whereas the **** rabbit owner abandons them physically and/or mentally.

Trust that the way you are feeling now won't last forever, and then you can re-build the relationship with your buns x

This pretty much sums it up for me :thumb: Pets can sometimes be hard work and when you have them falling ill and dying on you, it's a strain emotionally and financially and especially if it's more than one or one after the other, it can feel like you are cursed. It all adds up and I know more than once I have thought ' why do I bother? Why do I have these creatures in my life?Why do I put myself through this, over and over??' But then I remember what they bring into my life during the good times and I just can't seem to not have them :D:D:D: Chloe, it sounds to me like things have gotton on top of you, not just the rabbits but life in general and you need to take a step back, breathe and unburden yourself to maybe friends/family who could help take some of the stress away :D

no they have got a great bunny mum!:)
we all go throught rough patches but im sure you can bouce back
i feel bad for my sisters single bun but atm i carnt do anything about it
hope pud drops his plums soon too :)

I think he and Sox are conspiring, they've been chatting over the bunternet and comparing notes on how to trick the Plum Fairy...;)

Seriously, I'm sorry you're feeling down, you're not a bad bunny mum, you're just not feeling great!

re: Nahla, my Eddie was 'independent'. He wasn't easy to handle but I know he was happy because when he free-ranged, he'd binky and explore and flop like a loon. He was happy enough just being a bunny. Some buns like people, others don't, it's not your fault!

xxx

You are a great owner.
You need to sort your health out and the rest will happen naturally.
I have IBS which is bad right now so I can't even imagine how you feel. Speak to the doctor about depression and stress in relation to your illness. It's very important in managing it.

If you need to change things with Pud it's warm enough right now for him to go outside for a day. And just put something on top of the hole. ;)

Just don't worry, do what you have to do to feel better. It's not forever.

Back