• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Rabbit has just had babies. What do I need to do??

I have just been in to clean the Guineas & Oscar out & today Oscar seems a bit down & he's not eaten much...bit worried but am keeping my eye on him. The two baby Guineas I have been advised by the vets to try & separate them as they say sometimes at 3 months they can start to mate but my little male might not be developed enough for the op. So am worried how they will be if I do separate them as they never leave each others side & don't want to stress them....not sure what to do........ Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just been in to clean the Guineas & Oscar out & today Oscar seems a bit down & he's not eaten much...bit worried but am keeping my eye on him. The two baby Guineas I have been advised by the vets to try & separate them as they say sometimes at 3 months they can start to mate but my little male might not be developed enough for the op. So am worried how they will be if I do separate them as they never leave each others side & don't want to stress them....not sure what to do Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been checking in on the babies everyday & fingers crossed at the moment there is still movement. Peggy is doing really well. We haven't touched the nest at all so still not sure how many there are. Oscar (dad) he's not eaten much today he seems a bit down but keep going to him & giving him cuddles - feel really sorry for him xx

It certainly has been one of them weeks that I don't think we'll forget in a hurry!!

Am sending 'good vibes' for little Poppy....xx.....

Will try & take some pics asap & post them on. I think I have just about calmed down after the shock - but am just really glad (hopefully) they are ok. We have got another run arriving tomorrow for Ruby & Rory. Can't wait until the babies can be taken out & put in their run so they can have some fun!!

Little update.....
I have just actually properly seen one of the babies - it is tiny but sooo cute, it looked a light colour, I filled up!! can't wait until they are mobile & can see them properly & how many there are.

did you get the buns/piggies from a pet shop? If so some will lend you spare hutches and run for your males and so on if you complain hard enough.

Three years ago I got two mini lops from a breeder that were 2 boys. The vet checked them at 8 weeks when they were vaccinated and he said they were both males. I took them in at 5 mths to be neutered and was told one was female. So I was really lucky there were no babies as they had been together all the time. Good luck with your babies. Pam

The same thing happend to me athough i acually sexed betty myself, i used to have alot of rabbits at one time and was selling babys for years. all the time i was doing that i found i was sexing them correct, when betty had her first vacination for mysx the vet said she was a girl too. So both me and the vet though he was a she.....could be that sometimes they develop really late. or that some really do look like the other sex, we only realised he was a boy when he developed testis otherwise still looked like a girl!

Little update...PLEASE SEND VIBES XX

Unfortunately one of the babies has died a couple of days ago:cry:
We think that there is possibly three/four left in the nest. They started to move around a lot yesterday. There is (we think) a white one, black one & a little grey one - which I have taken a shine to.

My husband has just come in after checking on them again & has heard the little grey one he says 'heavy breathing' earlier, but now it is very still but could be asleep - Hopefully!!, the others are moving around quite a lot. Just REALLY hope he/she is ok. Am going to go & check on them now - I will be gutted if another one dies.

I am so sorry you lost 1. :cry: I hope the others will be ok :) good luck with them, hopefully when they big enough we can see some picks of your new family :love:

Update....

Bad news my little grey baby has died:cry::cry: Am gutted!!!!

Tonight we have seen two little ones moving aroung the 'bedroom' - just hoping still that they survive.... xx

Back