• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new baby bunny

Status
Not open for further replies.
so are you saying they haven't been spayed and neutered? have you researched everything you need to know about breeding buns? how long have you had them both??

sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the full picture :) x

its ok.. :D

my Pair is now 6 months old

Wanting a baby bun won't stop your buns having several. What would you do with them if they had 6 babies? Keep them all. Then if the 6 babies have 6 babies-you would end up with 36 babies, and the parents too. There is very small amount of money to gain from selling baby rabbits, and they cost a lot of money to feed and care for. Can you afford this? Also some mothers die during birth would you be upset to lose your girl rabbit if she died just so that you could have a baby bunny? Rabbits do not form loving families, fathers kill babies, or injure them-baby boys will fight and get their other and sisters pregnant. Are you sure you've thought about it properly? Also if your two rabbits haven't had babies yet then they must be both boys or both girls. It may be a good idea not to do something you may regret and you could end up making many rabbits very unhappy.

Wanting a baby bun won't stop your buns having several. What would you do with them if they had 6 babies? Keep them all. Then if the 6 babies have 6 babies-you would end up with 36 babies, and the parents too. There is very small amount of money to gain from selling baby rabbits, and they cost a lot of money to feed and care for. Can you afford this? Also some mothers die during birth would you be upset to lose your girl rabbit if she died just so that you could have a baby bunny? Rabbits do not form loving families, fathers kill babies, or injure them-baby boys will fight and get their other and sisters pregnant. Are you sure you've thought about it properly? Also if your two rabbits haven't had babies yet then they must be both boys or both girls. It may be a good idea not to do something you may regret and you could end up making many rabbits very unhappy.

:wave: couldnt have put it better myself x

no, not yet.. i wanna try having them a baby :D

Rabbits have more than one baby per litter. Have you done any research into breeding your rabbits? Do you know what you'll do with the babies once they're born?

From reading your posts you seem to care for your rabbits a lot. Especially seeing as you feel you have rescued Elly. I do feel you need to start and do some research though and very soon. There are lots of websites out there with the information you need and a lot of people on here can help you if you ask the right questions. The Rabbit Welfare Fund's website is a good one to start with.

I know some people have given you advice on looking after Elly who you think is only a month old. So another thing is whether you know that unless you have both females spayed that they WILL start to fight and rabbits can kill eachother when this happens. Fighting rabbits can be traumatic and extremely dangerous. Obviously Elly is far too young to be spayed, but it is something you should consider before deciding if you want your two other bunnies to have babies.

Elly will soon get to an age when your other female will not tolerate her. :eek:

I'm sorry if I'm a bit rude, But You should have alot more knowledge of rabbits if your going to adopt or buy a rabbit.

You say that both your other rabbits are 6 monthes old... Are they Brother and Sister??

If they are, separate them.

I would suggest consulting your parents(Because your obviously a bit underaged) about rabbits, and a local vet to awnser your questions, and tell you what you need to do, otherwise Elly is probably going to pass on.

Like I said, I do seem a bit rude, but you obviously don't know much about the rabbit world.

Yes, Learning is good, but it's not the time for it when a life is in danger. The learning can happen after that life is safe.

To be able to breed responsibly you need to ensure you do something particular things.

This is something I put on my facebook when someone I know was breeding ireesponsible.

Please note: There is a possibility your female rabbit will die, so be aware and prepared for that too.

This is something I wrote on a forum where someone had bred her babies and the mum had eaten the kits. Some bits, therefore, don't apply to you, but I have italiced those bits. As you can probably tell, I'm a rabbit nut and passionate about rabbit welfare. I'm not against breeding, its just important to me its done properly. :) If you need anything, feel free to ask.

ETA- the rabbits need to be kept separately prior to the planned breeding. If a girl gets pregnant she can fight the male and try to drive him out of her territory. In addition to that, she is most receptive to getting pregnant up to 72 hours after giving birth which would mean she would get pregnant far too soon and that would be unhealthy for her and any kittens she may have. Ideally the rabbits need to be kept in accommodation that meets the RWA standards to ensure all their needs are met.

I have done irresponsible breeding thinking I knew what was best, and I didn't. I was woefully ignorant and my bunnies suffered (more due to having a rubbish vet than what I did though).

The only way to breed, is to do so responsibly.

This means

~Knowing at least four generations on each side of your rabbits family tree (great great grandparents). Its important to know that there are not genetic issues that could be passed onto kits. Responsible breeders do not breed any rabbits with a history of any sort of potentially genetic health problem. This means, to have that pedigree, you will have needed to have bought your original rabbits from a breeder to ensure you know the history. Pet shop bunnies are not ok for breeding because you can't know their history. Also, bunnies from friends often can't be bred for the same reason- you don't know ther history.

~Ensure that you have a vet on call 24/7 who could do an emergency spay or help with delivering kits, if necessary. This gives you a better chance of not losing your doe (which is a very real risk- and one I unfortunately suffered- twice).

~Ensure that your male is SMALLER than your female. If the male is bigger, then kindling will be incredibly painful and potentially impossible.

~Ensure you know your bunny breeds. You need to make sure your bunnies are pure bred. Cross breeding can often result in genetic deformities that could not have been predicted (for example, often crossing a lionhead with some nethies can result in mega dental problems because their skull shapes can conflict against each other).

~Ensure you have a doe available who can foster your kits if your doe dies. Kits are virtually impossible to hand rear, and losing your doe is a very real risk, so its important to make provisions.

~Ensure your doe is of breeding age. The doe needs to be young enough to breed (this age varies with breed) to ensure she doesn't get into kindling complications. She also needs to be mature enough to breed.

~Ensure that you have learnt and educated yourself about anything related to breeding, like the crucial times when you may lose them, complications, risks, etc.

~Ensure you can keep any rabbits that do not get sold. It would be irresponsible to pass them on to anyone else to rehome. They are your responsibility, so YOU should rehome them.

~Ensure that if any rabbits get rehomed, but in due course can not be kept, they are returned to you and not go anywhere else.

~Ensure you home check any potential owners, so that you know their accommodation meets the RWA standards and that your bunnies are going to good homes.

~Ensure you know more than any potential buyer, so that you can educate them and so that you don't make mistakes on things such as gender.

~Ensure you can afford to spay/neuter before rehoming, so that you know they have been done (yes, the responsible breeders I know do do this).

~Ensure you can afford to vaccinate them before they get rehomed too.

I think its very important to find a responsible mentor to help you with this.

Losing your doe is a very real risk, so you may fnd that you don't increase their family, you actually decrease it, and you will know, if that happens, that that was your fault, and your fault only. Effectively, you will have killed your rabbit. I live with that knowledge everyday- even though I took her to the vets, and the vets stuffed up, it was still my choice and my decision that led to her death.

I now do a lot with rescues. My knowledge has increased tenfold (especially with regards to breeding, because I wanted to know what I had done wrong). The rabbits I take on now are those REALLY in need (so those who will be PTS if I don't take them- they normally have special needs, illnesses or behavioural problems). You know what? Its wonderful! To be able to change the lives of bunnies who desperately need it is one of the most rewarding things that people can do (that applies to other animals and people too).

Part of being a responsible and caring owner is to ask 'what is best for my bunny?'. That means taking out of the equation what you want, or what is best for you. It means looking just at what is best for your bunny. Do you genuinely think its best for her to go through this trauma?

If the answer is 'no' then maybe have a think about what is best. That would probably be getting her spayed and getting your boy neutered and bonding them together so they can live happily together, forever.

If the answer is 'yes', why is it best for her?

I don't think there is anyway for you to responsibly breed your bunny because of what you have already described, which would make you an irresponsible breeder. That's one for your conscience. Do you want to be an irresponsible breeder, or do you want to be a responsible owner?

i feel like what you are doing is wrong. why would you breed your rabbits? for what purpose?? there are more than enough rabbits in the world already who have no home, and are lonely... why bring in more to that equation?? im not trying to be rude, just share with you my opinion...

and i think my comment about the pet store was mis interpreted, i got my first bun skipper from a pet store too. thats how i know what i huge mistake it is...

they are generally unhealthy and not cared for very well.. All three bunnies should go to a vet and they will tell you what to do.. hopefully :lol:

I agree there are definitely more than enough rabbits in the world, many living terrible lives, without breeding more. Neutering is the way to go.

Like others have said, there are enough buns leading homeless lives.

Hypothetically, Say something happened, Like maybe your house caught on fire, not only would that be more rabbits to evacuate, it may disturb the mother and she may not allow the babies to nurse after.

And then say they lived through that, you would most likely have to give them up, which could lead to A: Getting a bad owner or B: Having no owner, and becoming easy prey to every predator in the Philippines.

Of course, there's risks in everything, but why take bigger risks so you can have another baby bunny? You already have this 1 month old infant that will have trouble living through the next 2 monthes.

And if I haven't convinced you yet, look at what Sky-O said, The female can die too. You wanna risk this just so you can have 6 more babies?

Also, even if you do go through with it, You will need alot of knowledge about rabbits for them to live.

And how are you and they going to feed them properly when you can't even get hay? I'm sorry but breeding more rabbits just because you want to is selfish and irresponsible. You may not like what I have said but I'm sure most people on here will agree as the majority of people on this site support rescues and the thousands and thousands of bunnies in them who urgently need and deserve loving homes. The world does not need more rabbits. Please, please do not breed.

And how will you and they feed them properly when you cannot even get hay? Breeding your rabbits just because you want to is selfish and irresponsible. You may not like what I have to say but most people on this forum feel the same. They support rescues and the thousands and thousands of bunnies in them who urgently need and deserve a loving him. The world does not need more bunnies. Please, please do not breed.

OOPs ended up with two versions as first one didn't post straight away and just disappeared! But it came back and now there are two!:oops:

Last edited:
are you rich??
because when your 2 rabbits have a liter of 5 babies and then the babies reach 3 months dad will impreganate the female babies and then youll have over 80 babies and so on,

I'd already pointed out the fact the mother could die and that they will interbreed when old enough, and that the OP will end up with hundreds of babies. They've took no notice even after it's been repeated they've chosen not to comment on these issues. Personally in my view This person is winding everyone up and is wasting time that could be spent advising people who give A damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back