• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My english spots

NO, what are gut motility meds?

I assumed thats what these sachets were??

He manually checked her for blockages and said at that stage he felt nothing to indicate one, he looked into her mouth using some strange looking thing to check her teeth and throat etc, at that stage she was fairly alert, so he didn't seem overly worried.

Ill check the bill to see what was administered needle wise when i go back in to pay for the Saturday's visit, as i can't remember him doing an injection, but i was trying to keep my son informed what was happening so may not have noticed it.

NO, what are gut motility meds?

I assumed thats what these sachets were??

He manually checked her for blockages and said at that stage he felt nothing to indicate one, he looked into her mouth using some strange looking thing to check her teeth and throat etc, at that stage she was fairly alert, so he didn't seem overly worried.

Ill check the bill to see what was administered needle wise when i go back in to pay for the Saturday's visit, as i can't remember him doing an injection, but i was trying to keep my son informed what was happening so may not have noticed it.

Metoclopromide is the gut motility med usually given if an obstruction has been ruled out
Pain relief is an absolute ESSENTIAL. A non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam is usually given. In some cases an opiate such as Buprenorphine may be given too.

What a shame, she was such a beautiful looking girl, i was just oohing over her picture before i saw your update :cry:

I would change vets x

Are you saying that my vet didn't do the correct things here??

Only when i go into pay i was going to ask him some questions as to what went wrong so quickly.

And these gut motility treatments are these things i should be keeping at home all the time as a just in case. ?

Youve vet could have done better, yes. If a gut stimulant and pain killer were given on your first trip to the vets for this, you may have had a different outcome.

Are you saying that my vet didn't do the correct things here??

Only when i go into pay i was going to ask him some questions as to what went wrong so quickly.

And these gut motility treatments are these things i should be keeping at home all the time as a just in case. ?

They need to be administered by a vet - if there's a blockage, I think it can cause more probs than good as can force feeding a bun that has a blockage unless advised by a vet

Buns don't always give you a lot of warning there is a problem. Often they stop eating once the pain gets too much, so you need to act fast.

I have had a bun survive a blockage - we *think* he had chewed a cardboard loo roll tube. He was very ill though for about a week

Hi Angie65, I did wonder why this comes on.

The only thing i have added last week to Mollys hutch was a new chew toy, as Mollie was a big lover of chew toys.

http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.co...ters-guinea_pig-rabbits-rat-toy-ip862065.html

I added this as i had just bought another 4ft extension to the run and added this to the order,I was going to build up/add to her current run on Saturday, but didn't get the chance to do so.

So im hopinh it wasn't something in this chew toy that started it off

Hi all again,

Ive been to settle the account with the vet and i got the receipt, i suspect he administered the injections whilst i was telling my son what was going on, and why it was happening, so i didnt see it, but my receipt is as follows:

Metoclpramide inj 10mg/2ml
Multivitamin inj (NOR)
2 supreme science recovery sach.

he booked me in for a Sunday Morning revisit, but unfortunately the process didnt take very long as i stated.

I caught it very early, the vet has done what was advised, and i managed to get the first sachet down her, the only thing i struggled with was the 2nd sachet as she was in a bad way. The only thing not gievn was a painkiller by the looks of it.

I don't know if i could have done antyhing to stop her guts going into stasis, after reading the information leaflets etc, it could even have been the fireworks that scared her that can cause this, so many different things can trigger it.

So i will have to put it down to experience

After a few bad experiences (not with stasis) I always ask for pain meds, even if it just makes bun more comfortable, more than anything else. As you said it is all down to experience :( such a shame thoug, such a gorgeous bun :(

After a few bad experiences (not with stasis) I always ask for pain meds, even if it just makes bun more comfortable, more than anything else. As you said it is all down to experience :( such a shame thoug, such a gorgeous bun :(

I agree that's a major thing - you get quicker at noticing problems & it's always good to question stuff with the vet, so you get pain relief etc

Blockages are common in moulting buns too - as they groom:cry:

Well if it happens again (Hopefully never) I will ask for pain meds, ive seen the signs this time and know a bit more what to look for and will ask for them anyway.

Back