• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny is poorly and people think myxi

Ok I guess that sounds more positive as syphillis is easier treated than myxi.

I'll bring it up again in the morning and see if I can get her to give her the injection instead.

Does anyone know approx cost of syphillis treatment? It cost me £30.89 for consultation and baytril

I would try for a better vet. With 7 rabbits you need a rabbit savvy vet anyway!

I remember when we had 7:D:D. We have 36 now:oops:

Your picture looks nothing like the nodules that my Pooka had when she had nodular myxi. So that's a good start.

I would try to get all the unvaccinated healthy buns vaccinated ASAP, then this girl when she's well again. Fingers crossed you can get hold of a decent vet xxx

It would be unusual for a myxi to present with just nodules in an unvaccinated rabbit, and they don't look quite right for myxi nodules. But then they look a bit unusual for syphilis to to me too. I'd wonder about it being an abscess if there wasn't two of them. Do her teeth look normal?

Syphilis treatment is a penicillin injection (must not be given orally) once a week for three weeks. The drugs aren't massively expensive so the cost would depend on whether your vet charges for an appointment each time, some do discounts on repeat visits.

I'd suggest taking precautions like wearing an apron, washing your hands and not sharing equipment between bunnies until you are certain what it is.

It doesn't look like myxi to me either. Hope you can find a good vet and get some answers. Sending lots of vibes for Rogue xx

That pic was after I had knocked her scabs off from having to wipe discharge so she could breathe.

I really hope it's just something little. Her teeth look fine to me and did to the vet.

Iv been washing hands between handling buns.

Keep them both quarantined until you find out what it is. I believe that if it is syphilis, they will have it forever and can pass it to other buns (I think).

Did the vet check inside the mouth at her molar teeth?

I would definitely be finding a better vet, especially with 7 buns! I only have three and I'm constantly at the vets with various ailments.

Is she still eating and pooing?

Both? Which ones?

I don't think she checked molars no. I wouldn't normally use this vet but mine was closed and a friend took me. Il go back tomorrow as have appt but if not happy il go to mine.

Yep eating drinking pooing normally.

Both? Which ones?

I don't think she checked molars no. I wouldn't normally use this vet but mine was closed and a friend took me. Il go back tomorrow as have appt but if not happy il go to mine.

Yep eating drinking pooing normally.

I thought she was bonded to another bun?

It's good that she is eating and pooing normally. :thumb:

She was bonded with her sister and another. As soon as I noticed poorlys I removed her into a spare hutch. She is now inside under Neath my indoor bun in separate cage.

Oh and hi5 fellow vegan! Just noticed your name!

She was bonded with her sister and another. As soon as I noticed poorlys I removed her into a spare hutch. She is now inside under Neath my indoor bun in separate cage.

Oh and hi5 fellow vegan! Just noticed your name!

:lol: Hi. :wave:

Ok, the other two may need treating too, in that case. I would probably keep Rogue in a different room to your other rabbits, just in case. :thumb:

I agree with the others, it looks more like syphilis to me. Any rabbits who have been in contact with her (or share equipment/space) will also need to be treated at the same time, as it is very contagious and has an incubation of about 12 weeks. This means that if it is syphilis, her hutch mates will probably already be brewing it too, so if they aren't treated at the same time, they will just get it later and then give it back to her, so you will end up going round in circles with the infection. How long has she been inside for now and is she spayed? You will also need to reintroduce her to her friends very carefully as they will 'forget' each other even after a couple of days and can be territorial and fight, so they will need to be reintroduced back very carefully on neutral territory as if it was a new bond. If she or they are unspayed then I would recommend spaying all of them first as they could be very tricky to rebond.

Good luck with your little one, hopefully it is syphilis as it is easy to treat and she should pick up quickly after the first injection. I've heard of the country's top bunny savvy vets say that the easiest way to diagnose syphilis is to give a penicillin injection - if it improves, it's syphilis, if it doesn't, then it's not. Some non-savvy vets are reluctant to give penicillin though, especially I guess if they're not sure what they're dealing with. Are you seeing the same vet today do you know? Unfortunately with every chain or practice, some will be great with bunnies and some won't. I use my local companion care - some vets are excellent with bunnies and some are hopeless..so I just have to be selective about who I see!

Last edited:
It doesn't look like Myxi.

I would agree with Syphilis or something else that is benign.

Vets often confuse Myxi with Syphilis. Syphilis is very easy to treat. One of my rabbits which was a stray had it.
The vet I went to see confused it with Myxi and insisted on putting her to sleep. Luckily I had found out what it was on the Internet and could advocate for my rabbit.

Syphilis is easy to treat.

In any case you need to get the others vaccinated against Myxi and VHD asap. I would not vaccinate her atm as her immune system is already compromised. Once she is better she needs to be vaccinated asap as well.

Myxi and VHD are transmitted via mosquitos,fleas¶ mites which live in hay and contact with other rabbits. Even if your rabbits are house rabbits they still are at risk.

All the best for you and your rabbit.

Last edited:
Update. Rogue had to be PTS. The wounds were ringworm. She had pasturella and so much fluid on her lungs. She could barely breathe and was mouth breathing.
The vet said she was gone within 3 seconds of being in the gas box,

So upset but know it was for the best cos she wasn't well.

I know I have to watch the others and disinfect the hutches/cage she was in. What would be the best disinfectant to use!?

I'm so sorry, Binky free little Rogue xxx

As for cleaning a bleach solution is probably easiest or you could look at getting a high grade cleaner recommended for use with animals, such as virkon.

Back