• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny gave birth last night, need advise please

lostsouls65

Warren Scout
My bunny gave birth to her first litter last night, I went to have a look this morning and could see the little ones moving amongst the fur, did not want to linger on in fear the bunny will reject them.

is there any tips you can give me?

- I know she will feed them at least once a day
- I have been told not to touch them, only touch the nest to see if she had had them but that's all, doe is sitting nearby eating well and guarding them.
- is there any special food I need to give to her? I have plenty of hay, fresh grass and pellets

I hope the babies survive. Would appreciate any advise, thanks guys :wave:

yes it was, buck is not with them, seperate.
I am having the buck spayed next week. I wanted to get one litter off her, she will be spayed also later on.

I think you are meant to up the food whilst she is pregnant in preparation for the birth. I havent read up on it as i dont intend to breed mine but if i did i would read up fully beforehand.

My main concern is for the babies to survive, mother is doing well and was well looked after. Plenty of hay, fresh grass, pellets and her treats given, with loads of fresh water.

I was more worried about mother not feeding them etc, I tend to have her spayed once babies are old enough and separated. I dont want to have loads of rabbits.

Buck is being spayed next week.

I think you are meant to up the food whilst she is pregnant in preparation for the birth. I havent read up on it as i dont intend to breed mine but if i did i would read up fully beforehand.

Hi, i also have a bun who gave birth to 6 babies 10 days ago, all are doing well :) firstly dont touch the babies, if there are any dead ones mom will kick them out, i have seen this done myself.
Give mom plenty of fresh hay, water and pellets and an occasional carrot/cabbage ( not too much greens tho)
Just try and leave her to it less disturbence the better really.
Good luck i hope they are all ok :)
xx
Is this her first litter?

Last edited:
I think mom is supposed to be fed as much as she wants. My book on rabbits (which has a section on breeding) says to feed pellets and hay ad lib: she'll need the energy.
x

Hi, i also have a bun who gave birth to 6 babies 10 days ago, all are doing well :) firstly dont touch the babies, if there are any dead ones mom will kick them out, i have seen this done myself.
Give mom plenty of fresh hay, water and pellets and an occasional carrot/cabbage ( not too much greens tho)
Just try and leave her to it less disturbence the better really.
Good luck i hope they are all ok :)
xx
Is this her first litter?

Mum will feed babies normally twice a day mainly, then pretty much ignore them. They should start looking like they've swallowed a ping pong ball in their stomach.

Unlimited fresh hay, unlimited pellets and lots of lovely greens and herbs to keep her energy levels up to produce the milk.

If you do need to touch the kits for any reason rub your hands in mums nest and over mum BEFORE you do so.

ETA: i did NOT quote your post, i chose to quote another but its done yours, then lagged on posting... another RU Blip Boys & Girls!

You need to increase her food over the next few days until it is unlimited.

Its more than fine to touch the babies. Its a myth you shouldn't. You need to check they have been fed, starting tomorrow. You also ened to move any dead babies or placentas. Not all mums know what to do with them.

When you go near the nest make sure your hands smell of nothing strong and stroke mum first so you smell of her. Get someone to distract mum with something yummy and then check the nest to ensure all is looking ok.

Tomorrow they should have been fed and will look like they swallowed ping pong balls if they have been. If they haven't, don't be tempted to handfeed them, or handrear them, give mum a chance and ask back for more advice. There are ways to help mum.

Also, move any water bowls to the opposite side of the cage from wherever the babies are.

If mum starts to get lethargic, go off her food, stop pooing, etc, she needs the vets immediately. No ifs or buts.

Finally, you should have researched all this BEFORE she got pregnant, so please learn from that.

I personally wouldn't touch them. Feed unlimited, careful with veggies still though. Just check the nest- but not the babies- i.e move the fur aside- you will smell if any are dead- it is obvious if a baby is dead so you don't need to check at all.

You need to increase her food over the next few days until it is unlimited.

Its more than fine to touch the babies. Its a myth you shouldn't. You need to check they have been fed, starting tomorrow. You also ened to move any dead babies or placentas. Not all mums know what to do with them.

When you go near the nest make sure your hands smell of nothing strong and stroke mum first so you smell of her. Get someone to distract mum with something yummy and then check the nest to ensure all is looking ok.

Tomorrow they should have been fed and will look like they swallowed ping pong balls if they have been. If they haven't, don't be tempted to handfeed them, or handrear them, give mum a chance and ask back for more advice. There are ways to help mum.

Also, move any water bowls to the opposite side of the cage from wherever the babies are.

If mum starts to get lethargic, go off her food, stop pooing, etc, she needs the vets immediately. No ifs or buts.

Finally, you should have researched all this BEFORE she got pregnant, so please learn from that.

This.

Back