• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucky Bum - chronic caecal dysbiosis - Twinkle U/D 22/2/11 - Dental.

Thanks. I was considering another vet trip, but always feel I am bothering him for silly things!! Daft as it sounds!

I dont want to waste his time if it is just a diet issue. I should be able to sort it myself. If after a while I see no improvement on a hay only diet then I will of course make another trip back to the vet!

Do you know where can I get dried leaves from? I do have some dried brambles but have been saving those in case Twinkle goes into statis again :oops:

hello i dont know if this has been mentioned as i havent read through the whole post but i have a bunny that over produces soft poos [look and smell like thee ones they should eat] I spent lots of money on tests but through this site i found out that my gizmo couldnt tolerate alfa alfa [which is alot of rabbit food] he couldnt eat grass veg anything treat wise because it would make him bad. he went into statis once and we nearly lost him but then someone on here said about a high fibre food called allen & page natural rabbit pellets. Obviously carefully i changed his diet over to these and now over a year on this food and there has been a drastic enprovement. He can eat everything as long as he dont over in dulge we have no problems with the poos. I really hope it is something easy like this for your bunny as i know how horrible it is to see them mucky and not being able to work out whats wrong. You can get special shampoos and stuff from the vets to help keep them clean and we only ever use proplus in the water if the vet says he needs it or we notice something isnt right with the amount he is eatting. Fingers crossed for you :love:

hello i dont know if this has been mentioned as i havent read through the whole post but i have a bunny that over produces soft poos [look and smell like thee ones they should eat] I spent lots of money on tests but through this site i found out that my gizmo couldnt tolerate alfa alfa [which is alot of rabbit food] he couldnt eat grass veg anything treat wise because it would make him bad. he went into statis once and we nearly lost him but then someone on here said about a high fibre food called allen & page natural rabbit pellets. Obviously carefully i changed his diet over to these and now over a year on this food and there has been a drastic enprovement. He can eat everything as long as he dont over in dulge we have no problems with the poos. I really hope it is something easy like this for your bunny as i know how horrible it is to see them mucky and not being able to work out whats wrong. You can get special shampoos and stuff from the vets to help keep them clean and we only ever use proplus in the water if the vet says he needs it or we notice something isnt right with the amount he is eatting. Fingers crossed for you :love:

Thank you for taking the time to post, I have tried Twinkle in the past on Allen and Page pellets, and they did not help her at that time. Maybe after these months on hay only and a stabalisation, she might be able to tolerate some more foods in the future... I will take each day as it comes though, as I am determined not to let her slip back to her old "mucky bum" ways :lol:

Well Twinkle is home - rather subdued, but home... she wouldnt eat anything so I know I shouldnt have, but I gave her a few bits of grass which she did eat... so I feel happier knowing she is eating, but worry it will upset her tummy... will check on her in a while.

FB I would have done the same in your circumstances. As you know it's a top priority to get her back eating again. we can sort out her caecs later. Everything crossed for you please keep us up dated.

i'd have done the same - i DO the same! i offer anything and everything just to get them eating and then get the diet back to normal as soon as they've improved.

hope she feels better soon x

Thank you for the continued support :)

She has had some metacam for tonight, some more grass which she ate with more enthusiasm and two snuggle safes tucked into her hay beds... plus she was snuggled up to Sparkle who had sat at home all day waiting for her to return :love:

I am now feeling confident she is eating again so will let her munch on hay from now on, if she continues to do well.

glad she is doing well. :love: Keep us posted on the stomach. Gizmo has times when he starts up with the mucky bum so we do as you are doing and put him on a hay diet for a day or two then gradually introduce pellets and his normal veg etc. I think some bunnies are just sensitive on the stomach more than others. Maybe its the rabbit form of IBS :lol: Good luck again :wave:

Hi :wave:

Thanks for asking :D

Twinkle is back to eating hay :D

I couldnt get her this morning to check her bottom after the grass yesterday, but there were no obvious signs of splats in the playhouse.... lots of darker poops which looked good, but no splats...

Will do a bum check this afternoon :D

A few excess caceals but nothing too worrying. Will need to dig up the grass in the extension run for when she is out supervised in summer. It is sad as she loves running around on the grass nibbling away.

A few excess caceals but nothing too worrying. Will need to dig up the grass in the extension run for when she is out supervised in summer. It is sad as she loves running around on the grass nibbling away.

I'll try to find out where I read about the buns in USA who always got excess ceacals when they ate anything green for you.

Back