• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving our rabbit outside.

Me and my partner have a 5 year old netherland x. He has lived inside all his life and occasionally been out in his run. We are wanting to move him outside as he is constantly urinating everywhere! We have tried litter training and neutering but with no success. We now have a 4month old baby so this situation cannot go on!

Outside I do have a dog kennel with and inside and outside area which I would like to move him into. It looks exacly like this!

Pinnacle%2012ft%20x%204ft%20(3.58m%20x%201.19m)%20Dog%20Kennel%20and%20Run_A_SP-1.jpg

I have been putting him out all day everyday for the last week or so trying to get him used to everything and only bringing him in at night. The questions I need to ask are when will it be ok to put him out permanently? and would it be a good idea to get him a companion as he will have less interaction from us?

I'd appreciate any advice given,

Thanks.

Is he neutered? if so then it would be best to get him a companion for going outside. If you have a local rescue to you then they often can help with the bonding and they could get you a bunny similar age and size to yours :)

The kennel looks ideal for moving him outside, if you add some toys and maybe a small hutch inside that he can snuggle in then he should be fine outside.

I would say that you're looking to move him properly outside overnight, when the temperatures are a bit more comparable. It still drops to roughly 4-5 degrees some nights at the moment, and if he is used to being inside then his coat will be roughly suited for about 18 degrees ish. I would be waiting until it is about 10 degrees overnight.

Yes, adopting a friend would be great for him. His need for interaction with you would lessen hugely and he would likely be very happy. The easiest way to do that would be to adopt a spayed/vaccinated female from a rescue (maybe even from a rescue who could bond them for you), which gives the maximum chance of success and long term happiness.

I think we need photos of your chap :D :thumb:

Yes he is neutered. Would it be best to get him a male or female companion? and when can he go out permanently? I've been putting him out during the day 8am-8pm but its not particularly warm at the moment.

Thanks.

Jealous person here :roll: ... :lol: I would love a kennel..

If you want to put him outside then I agree with Kermit about finding him a wifey :) rescues can usually help with bonding, FatFluffs bonded my outdoor bunnies and it's lovely seeing them together. I would hate for them to be alone in this weather but they're okay now they have each other to snuggle up to and keep warm :love:

Also if you have an old duvet, blankets or anything like that, with maybe a shower curtain or tarpauling over the blanket (over the run part) it will keep the heat in and not get wet :D

Thankyou Sky-O I will definately take your advice! I do have 2 RSPCA's close to me so I shall do some enquiring and I will post some pictures soon! :)

Thanks again.

Yes he is neutered. Would it be best to get him a male or female companion? and when can he go out permanently? I've been putting him out during the day 8am-8pm but its not particularly warm at the moment.

Thanks.

Female companion :D It's usually harder to bond 2 males :)

YES! Pictures :D :D

Thanks for the advice Aly&Poppy. I actually have wooden slats that cover the front of the kennel at night to stop drafts and bad weather. The kennel used to house rescued birds before the bunny so it is well adapted. It even has a window in the inside to let light in!

Thanks for the advice Aly&Poppy. I actually have wooden slats that cover the front of the kennel at night to stop drafts and bad weather. The kennel used to house rescued birds before the bunny so it is well adapted. It even has a window in the inside to let light in!

Well that just makes me want a kennel even more :lol: So many possibilities! Shelves and things like that :D

Back