• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More Myxi

I just want to say that I feel Tam and Adele do a great job with this forum.

It must be incrediably hard work when you have got an open forum with breeder's, rescuer's etc mixing together.

Alex, Im sure Adele and Tam didn't mean any harm. As they have mentioned it was banter between themselves, nothing more.

Louise

Adele said:
ellepotter said:
I just want to say that I feel Tam and Adele do a great job with this forum.

Oh you are so sweet Louise, thank you very much for your kind and reassuring words.
It must be incrediably hard work when you have got an open forum with breeder's, rescuer's etc mixing together.(Quote Louise)

It is difficult to retain a good balance and prevent WW3 from breaking out, but I must say that I am highly impressed by how all you lovely Forum Members have helped make it work. :thumb:
Tamsin and I cannot take all the credit, we just try and guide things along a bit. :D

As a new rabbit owner (only had roo a year), i think this forum is great, so far i have laughed, cried(buckets). I have not made that many postings but come on the forum every day to see whats been happening. I find the advice offered here and they way it is offered great, time is taken to explain things to those off us who as i have said are newbies as far as caring for our rabbits go.
I think personal attacks on people are totally unnesssary as there are other ways of getting your point across.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ( i need all the help i can get)

As an added precation you could use an insect repelant on your rabits during the danger months june till october. The only time i have had a case of mixi it was introduced to one cage only by mossys. Also treat your rabbits for fleas if they come near to cats or dogs as these can carry the virus too. These two precautions should help a lot especially if you dont live near a wild rabbit population. One other think to check a lot of people have water butts or ponds in their gardens these are a breeding ground for mossys beware. val

Rooster thank you for your lovely words of support above, we are glad that you feel you and your bunnies are benefitting from information discussed in the Forum. :D

Dear Val, thank you very much for your myxo. advice, you are right that the culprit often least considered that brings in Myxo. is the Mosquito.
We believe our Myxo.outbreak three years ago was as a direct result of having a water butt in the garden and the garden was a haven for mosquitos.
We removed the water Butts and have not had a problem since, despite living next door to a wild bunny population.
I sometimes think too much empathise is placed upon reliance upon vaccines and it is the basic and regular defleaing and cutting down numbers of mosquitos that can lessen the risk immensely.
I would like to suggest that the explosion with Myxomatosis this Year could be as a result of the wet weather and ideal conditions for mosquitos.
The outbreak we had previously was also following a wet Summer. and mosquitos were rampant.

Thank you for drawing this different and very relevant perspective to our attention :D :D

myxi .

Hi alex...so sorry to hear of your sad loss, I don,t know if this will be any help to you, but several years ago a friend of mine who ran a rescue (her garden backed open fields with lots of wild bunns) had repeated cases of myxi, all her bunnies were vaccinated every 6 months, still she lost them, her vet confirmed a new strain that had been imported from europe, it went straight to the lungs, pneumonia set in & that was the end. A few survived, one kept going for 3 months then she went in one morning & he had gone, she said his throat was full of nodules & she didn,t know how he had hung on that long as he must have been in agony. she has now given up her rescue work as she couldn,t cope with this & wasn,t prepared to risk taking on any more bunns in case they also succumbed, as to humans contracting this awful virus...well according to my old vet (he was a bio-chemist) it,s a possibility, so something to think about hope this will help you, take care & god bless you & your remaining bunnies love from shan & the furry people.

taylor v 109 said:
Also treat your rabbits for fleas if they come near to cats or dogs as these can carry the virus too. These two precautions should help a lot especially if you dont live near a wild rabbit population. One other think to check a lot of people have water butts or ponds in their gardens these are a breeding ground for mossys beware.

These are very good points. My cat/cats are treated for fleas ever six months and wormed every six months whether they like it or not and my house is also sprayed every 3 months as a matter of precaution, my family also do their dogs. Preventative treatment is a lot easier at the end of the day but not everybody does this. I had never stopped to think of my pond though so thanks for pointing this out.

I am no expert but in a rabbit book that i have it stated that, myxi and vhd vacinations should be administered just beneath the skin and not completeley under the skin, is this true? Is it worth investigating among those buns who have been vacinated and contracted myxi as to how this vacine was administered? If this is true, does this mean the protection is very low if given wrongly?

I am not far from Sutton Park and unfortunately, there are very few wild buns left :cry: we did have a notice put in our local paper about the park and what to do if people found a rabbit with myxi. Along with other areas it has hit the park very badly this year

Back