• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More Myxi

Adele said:
Tamsin said:
Do I get a prize? :D

Tam

Ooh I think you fully deserve a prize Tamsin :D :D
What about a Free vaccination against Myxomatosis for YOU, you never know myxo, could adapt and emerge as a Human Virus next, so best be prepared :lol: ....where do you want the needle then..scruff of neck and in your ear lobes :?: :shock: :lol: ..I have red swollen eyes from looking at the Computer screen too much, perhaps all this talk of disease is contageous :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you deserve a prize for being the least diplomatic diplomat.
Myxomatosis is not in the least bit funny, for you to make light of it's symptoms shows you up as a total moron.
I too have red swollen eyes, because two of my vaccinated rabbits, woke up this morning, with red swollen eyes, and one of them wont be waking up tomorrow . You were right about one thing though, the virus is CONTAGIOUS, unlike your sense of humour.

I think that was uncalled for Alex. I can fully sympathise with you, myxomatosis or any other life threatening condition is no laughing matter, however if you had read all the other posts Adele and Tamsin have written, you would have understood that they are more compassionate than most others you might meet outside this forum. I know their posts were not intended to upset anyone, and if you took offense then we are all sorry that you are upset and of course you are sensitive about this matter.

I apologise if you found our banter offensive. Myxy is indeed a terrible disease, I lost one of my own bunnies to it and Adele has experience with it too. Its a horrible thing to have to go through with them. That we don't keep things serious all the time doesn't mean we care any less.

If there is anything we can do to support you, you only need to ask. There are several people here that are also dealing with myxy or have done in the past and I'm sure they will be happy to share what help/advise they can.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

bunnyhuggger said:
I think that was uncalled for Alex. I can fully sympathise with you, myxomatosis or any other life threatening condition is no laughing matter, however if you had read all the other posts Adele and Tamsin have written, you would have understood that they are more compassionate than most others you might meet outside this forum. I know their posts were not intended to upset anyone, and if you took offense then we are all sorry that you are upset and of course you are sensitive about this matter.
Lynda, with the greatest respect, your sympathy will not make my rabbits well again, so please don't patronise me. I am no more sensitive about *this matter* than any other caring rabbit keeper.

I had read the entire thread, several times, and was saddened to see it had turned into a primary school maths lesson, until a very ill fitting biochemistry/biology cap was donned. At that point it plummeted to the level of a kindergarten science lesson. If you are going to give advice, at least have a basic grasp of the way viruses mutate, and at least have a basic understanding of the mechanics of attenuated vaccines, because otherwise people gain the impression that you know more than you actually do.

Hi Alex, I am very sorry if my postings offended you in any way, but it was banter between Tamsin and I, and not making fun of any actual situation with a poorly bunny.
I am very sorry to hear that your own bunnies are unwell and our thoughts are with you are this difficult time. I too have been through the experience of beloved bunnies with this ghastly disease, so I can fully empathise with your situation.

My words in the postings do not intend to hurt or offend , but I personally find your tone of words and insults a deliberate attempt to inflict hurt.
You have only just joined RU and not made any Introduction to yourself, and the only two postings you have made have been to cause insult and upset.
You have overlooked the work I do on a daily basis to help bunnies in a Sanctuary, give help and advice as far as I am able to people on this Forum, both publically out in the Forum and behind the scenes, and I spent hours yesterday researching about Mxyo, to try and give advice to Jay and offer her my love and support for her concerns, and another Forum Member that is very sadly facing an extremely difficult time with her bunny with Myxomatosis.
I take my work very seriously and do my very best, to bring all the elements of compassion, love, empathy and humour into the Forum.

Digesting Information on nasties such as myxo, is difficult at the best of times, and if we can add some humour and get a serious message across at the same time, why is that so offensive.
I did not draw attention to a bunny with myxo. and poke fun at it, but this is exactly what you have done to me, and I am a Human with a big heart and feelings.
I have not run a Forum before, and Tamsin and I have done everything in our capabilities to ensure things run smoothly and people can happily post what is in their hearts....it is a pity that you cannot allow us to learn how to run a Forum, and allow us to make a few mistakes along the way, as it is the only way we learn.
I would like to ask the Other Forum Members who have frequented RU for the last few weeks how they feel about the work we have done to date, after all this is the peoples Forum, and If the majority feel that I am offensive , uncompassionate and rude, then I will readily resign.

Ps, I do not remember stating that Viruses do not mutate, just that the basis of the myxo. vaccine is not from the Myxo. Virus itself directly, so may be more readily able to adapt with differing strains of Myxo.
This fact is not proved though, and I was just offering up ideas for discussion.
Alex does not know of my individual works, my life philosophies, or academic qualifications, so I am confused as to why you feel able to comment about me on such a personal level?.
This Forum is for general discussion and not for a discussion about me as an indivdiual :?

I think that I speak for the majority of people on this forum when I say what a wonderful job Adele and Tamsin have done, and that everyone enjoys being a part of such a supportive and knowledgeable group of rabbit people.

Myxomatosis is a shocking and distressing disease that many rabbit owners may or may not come across at some point in their lives, directly or indirectly. But, to get through these things we have to remain optimistic and positive, as the previous postings by Adele and Tamsin were demonstrating. There are people on this forum going through a tough time at the moment, and we must be supportive and provide as much information and help as we as a forum can.

Unfriendly and hurtful remarks are not necessary.

Adele I think you are doing a great job, I really enjoy reading the banter between members it gives me the impression of a close friendly community that genuinely cares for each other and all their rabbits.

As you say sometimes you need to- not make light of, but lighten a subject that would otherwise make us all depressed and feel like theres nothing we can do, (hope that made sence)and at the same time you are answering questions that I for one want to know or teaching me things I didn't know. You have alot more experiance and knowledge about rabbits than I do and I like to hear your opinions and advice from first hand experiance.
I feel confident that if I had a problem/querie with my bunnies wether serious or not that I could come to this forum for lots of advice and different ideas and I know I would be treated with respect and compassion aswell as some laughs along the way.

I did notice from earlier reading this thread that Alex has just joined and has not introduced himself, perhaps if he says hi and tells us about himself and his bunnies we can all get to know each other before making assumptions.

Adele, I would not like to see a resignation from yourself :( This is the first forum I have joined, and although I probably don't post as much as others, I read everything, and it is easy to see that you have a great compassion for rabbits and their welfare, and the work that you do with the buns in your sanctuary cannot be understated.

Unfortunately, it is very easy to read something and misinterpret the intentions or feelings behind these words. If I had just joined the forum, and this topic was one of the first I had read, then who knows I might have interpreted it differently. However, I also believe that if this had had been the case I could have challenged this without resorting to insults.

Alex, I am truly sorry to read about your bunnies. I hope you don't take this as 'patronising', and I know it will not make your rabbits well - it's just a heart felt statement from someone who loves buns.

:( I think Lazylops and Beck have answered both sensitively and well on this - I'm so sorry you feel you have been hurt Alex but everyone who knows both Adele and Tamsin will support the marvelous work which they do both on this Forum and behind the scenes in many areas of welfare - much of which goes unseen and unrecognised - this is the same for many of the other brilliant folk on this Forum who are involved in Rescues and Bunny Welfare.

I know Adele very well and she would NEVER imply anything to hurt anyone both bunny or human life (not sure which order she would put that in :?:

Both Adele and Tamsin have a wealth of experience between them and all the novice bunny owners (like me but I'm learning all the time) would be devastated without their support and the many other good folk on here.

This was just good fun banter between two pals - neither would intend to hurt anyone and many of the posts on here in which folks are clearly distressed by poorly bunnies are always handled in a caring manner giving the utmost support to bunny owners in need of help in difficult times.

Recently I was devastated by the loss of a bunny - Adele picked me up with her caring ways and her gentle humour which really helped me through.

I hope you can see through this Alex for the innocent banter that was intended and enjoy the Bunny Mad Folk on the Forum.

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time with your bunnies also.

We are usually quite laid back on the forum but personal attacks are not something we can ignore. The Diplomats have discussed this issue and our official response follows:

We understand you are under a lot of strain right now however neither that or a joke you found offensive excuses insulting members of RU. Your first two posts on the forum included calling one of the owners a "total moron" and then following that up by infering those that weren't equally offended as you were not caring rabbit owners.

The "primary school maths lesson" as you put it may have been over simplified for your personal knowledge level but our members vary in age and education. Breaking things down simply, for example that one in 50 vaccniated rabbits exposed will get the disease can help people understand the benefits of vaccination and also that it isn't totally effective. Its important people realise that they should still take other precautions and also that vaccinating is still important.

If you disagree with something someone has said or the information that was given we don't have a problem with you expressing that but you should do so without turning it into an insult.

Before you make any further posts please familarise yourself with our charter - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=35 particularly the parts pertaining to not making personal attacks, using abusive language or insulting other members. In accordence with our rules you have the option of making a public apology or being banned from making further posts.

Should you decide to apologise and join us you will find the forum is full of caring rabbit owners willing to offer support and advice, if not then we wish you the best of luck with your rabbits regardless.

I just wanted to say that it seems Adeles post was completely read the wrong way. I know Adele would NEVER joke about how the virus affects bunnies, the lightheartedness was with the calculations and between Adele and Tamsin. Nobody was joking about rabbits with the desease! Without knowing Adele it's very unfair to make any comments about her as a person, and to call somebody a moron without even knowing them is really offensive :( As others have said, nobody meant to cause upset - and I too am sorry to hear about your bunnies being unwell. I hope they get better soon.

i can see alex's point here no matter what everyone says i think even if comment was made as harmless banter it is rather sad!
i cannot stand jokes be them harmless or otherwise about things which are out of our control! myxi is a terrible thing which cannot and i doubt never will be cured or treated as with cancer aids and other such nastys so any jokes concerning such are very untasteful!
off the box now!

shazlew said:
i cannot stand jokes be them harmless or otherwise about things which are out of our control! myxi is a terrible thing which cannot and i doubt never will be cured or treated as with cancer aids and other such nastys so any jokes concerning such are very untasteful!
off the box now!
I have apologised for any offence caused but I was not making banter about the effects of Myxo. more about the prevention of myxo hence the vaccination pun, and in reference to the Maths quiz I was posing.
I do not feel I deserved to have my character pulled apart and personally attacked.
Alex could have easily have emailed us to state the concerns and we would have amended the posting if we thought offence may be taken.

I am very much a novice in the bunny world but have seen a lot of myxy in the area I live. I have been following this thread and cringed at the attack on Adele by Alex. I am so sorry that he misinterpreted Adele's banter as being uncaring. Nothing could be further from the truth as can be seen by her postings. On a personal note, Adele came to my rescue when I was trying to rear a wild orphan bunny with lots of advice and encouragement and was there for me when my poor Hunny Bunny died. She does not deserve this and I can only imagine how she feels as she is a very caring and sensitive person. Adele, my thoughts and love are with you.

Lynda, who answered my cry for help was not being patronising in offering her sympathy. She is a very kind and caring person as you can see on her web site. She describes the sorrow of losing her beloved bunnies so eloquently. Both Lynda and Adele privately offered me support and the comfort I had from many caring friends was uplifting.

Adele and Tamsin are doing a wonderful job here and many friends have been made.

Thank you all so very much for your lovely, kind and deeply thoughtful letters of support.
As one of the Worlds Biggest rabbit lovers I have been deeply hurt to have found myself in this position, from what from all purposes was a harmless piece of banter between friends. My posting was not directed to anyone except Tamsin, so I do not understand why it has been personalised elsewhere. :?
I have been very touched, by all your positive statements and comments about RU, and Tamsin and I hope you will continue to enjoy the Forum, and forgive my slightly warped sense of humour that creeps in from time to time.

Can I just add how saddened I was to read the totally uncalled for and unjust critism of Adele and Tamsin. People who have taken the time and trouble to read all the posts on this forum will know just how caring and compassionate both of them are. They have a wealth of experience of rabbit welfare and I for one would be lost without the knowledge I have gained from this forum.

Also Lynda did not deserve to be described as patronising. She was merely trying to say that Adele's post was not meant to be offensive in any manner. She is also someone with a wealth of knowledge and thinks of rabbit welfare first and foremostly.

Thanks for a wonderful forum and keep up the good work.

:? I think everyone is one the same page here - and we really all do sent Jaypots our best wishes in the recovery of her bunnies which must be a sad and hard time to deal with - our thoughts are with you.

Adele & Tamsin - we would not be without you both and the likes of the wonderful Bunnyhugger, Tracy, Lazylops, Lizzie and many others too numerous to mention on this site who all all go out on a limb to help bunnies in their time of need and more - Now come on Folks! we all know how difficult it can be emotionally to cope with the endless challenges that Bunnys give us - if we cannot share some common banter and a giggle without fear of prosecution then we might just as well give up and go home!!

The folks on this Forum are beyond that - I've seen what can be achived - we do make a difference - O.K - small steps but its in the right direction - Lets not knock each other eh!! - the bunnies need us - lets put our energy and emotion where its needed.
:!: :!:

:? OK guy and gals - by the time everyone reads this - hopefully we will have all slept on this and come up with some more positive vibes for moving foward and thinking of bunny welfare and not dwelling on the happenings of the past 24 hours which were much misunderstood and I know everyone has good vibes and good wishes for Jaypots = just one thought for you all before we retire to put things into perspective:

And I'm so soooooooooory I know Its late folks but I just needed to share this with you:-

Just the other day - I posted a note about a funny story about Adele and her early wake up call - This was just normal friendly good banter - just as Tams and Adele have engaged in during the past couple of days - only difference is - I mentioned that Will Young was Gay ! - Adele's with her usual GSOH counter punched to me to mention that she like Status Quo and at least "they were not" ! - this I KNOW was not any inferance on anyones part to suggest anything other than - I'm having an internet chat - on a Forum - lets have some fun and communicate and Bat and Ball together - Thats all it was - I didn't thing anything of it and neither did other forum folks viewing the story - but had someone else been reading the post the same day who had perhaps had bad or other experiences then it would be easy to take offence - as indeed it is within any area if you look close enough!!

Thats it folks - class over - I hope you get my drift here - but I couldn't sleep easy tonight without trying to explain how easily misinterpretation can happen - believe me - its happened to me a couple of times with emails I have sent - I wouldn't hurt a fly (literally) but on Forums and emails - interpretation can be a real problem but I guess what I wanted to leave you all with - is that my Forum conversation was exactly that same as Tams but just a different topic - but both could have been soooooo easily misunderstood.

Lets hope we can all be careful with each other out there - were all at the end of of a phone line at the end of the day - Lets communicate if we have a problem and chat for the greater good! - BUNNNIESSSSSSSSSS

To All bunny maties on here - soooooooooory if I've bored the pants (am I allowed to say that!!) off here but I feel better now its off my chest (so to speak) and there's not much else to come off that part of my body!! - ooops - sorry if that offended anyone with small or large - you know whats!!! - there's another bunnytale eh!!

Sorry folks - I'm off now!!! - Stacking ZZZZZZZZZZZ's

I haven't read all the postings here thoroughly as, to be perfectly honest, I do not have a great deal of time to spare and, at the risk of sounding like a cracked record, I will tell you why I do not. One is that my precious cocker spaniel, Harriet, is on homeopathic medication in an effort to allay the effects of a pernicious osteosarcoma which necessitated her having her left hind leg amputated in April. The medication takes two hours every single evening of every single day of every single week at the moment and it is quite obviously time consuming - I love this little dog very, very deeply and I worry about her constantly BUT, thankfully, I have the ability to alleviate the situation by calling her Hoppy and Tripod and Peggy: when the situation is dire and, believe me, in the last few months I have seen some very dark and desperate moments, I think you have to try to make light of it, otherwise you sink into the abyss. It is the nature of human nature, it is a kind of "safety valve" and is a basic instinct. There have been times when tears have been rolling down my cheeks in anguish and someone/something has made me laugh through it.

However, having said this, I cannot see that Adele was making light of any bunny with myxomatosis, she was making light of statistics, mathematical theory and her purported inability to make calculations. There is no way that any of us here would make light of a bunny with myxi or we would not be here in the first place so, please, let's close this discussion. That we are ALL concerned about it goes without saying. One of my bunnies, Charlie, has some mysterious respiratory problem which is being treated homeopathically at the moment and does not seem to be improving rapidlyand he is a constant worry as he has lost a quarter of his body weight and I never know from day to day how his appetite is going to be.

I do not think that there is any need to make personal attacks on ANY forum member: it would be quite legitimate to say that you had been hurt by someone's posting but to call anyone a "moron" in these circumstances is, frankly, unacceptable. Personally, I would prefer to concentrate my energies on being positive, having a bit of fun with some nice like-minded people in order to try not to think of my concerns over my animals for a short while and to exchange ideas and learn something. Let's go forward with a positive, not a negative attitude and treat each other with the mutual respect that we all deserve. :)

Back