• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Monty has been killed by a fox

You poor things.

Bear in mind that your being stressed and behaving unusually is going to freak her out just as much as her behaving strangely is stressing you out. She isn't avoiding you, she's probably just confused that you're so fraught and can't figure out what it means in terms of her wellbeing. The best thing you can do for her is be as calm and gentle as possible and try and keep her routine. I would also highly recommend the stuffed animal idea once she has calmed down, something small enough to not be intimidating, you don't want to scare her, and warm. I would also recommend that when she is eating and drinking normally again to clean out her hutch in the least stressful way you can manage, she'll be less confused by his absence if she can't smell him on everything around her.

A few extra tasty herbs will also not hurt your cause any! So sorry for you both :(

What an awful thing to have happened, my heart is breaking for you. At least you found Monty and were able to give him some comfort when he needed it most.
Please give yourself a few days before you decide what is best for Bailey, i think it would be sad if she lost you too.
You are a good person, and you cared for and loved your buns, that is clear for all to see, and I hope you start to believe that again soon x

I'm so sorry you lost Monty :cry: I know it's easy for me to say having never gone through this, but please try not to blame yourself for what happened. You're a wonderful bunny mummy. Hugs to you and little Bailey xxx

Bless her, she will ve scarex of everything at the moment which is not surprising after what she may have seen.
I dont want to upset you anymore but was Monty still 'intact' when you found him? If he was it may help Bailey to see his body, that way she will understand that he is not coming back.
If I were you I would want to sleep out in the shed with her, she may seem scared of you but I do think your presence would be comforting for her. Just explain to her "please dont be scared baby girl, mummies here, we can miss Monty together"
I would also give her a cuddly teddy so she has someone to cuddle up to.

I am so sorry to hear of Monty's passing. :cry:
I agree with what others have said here, these things happen and while there is added sadness in these circumstances please don't let it make you feel inadequate. We all do the best we can for our furbabies and I'm sure Monty knew you loved him. He is still watching over you both from across the Rainbow.
Please do keep trying with Bailey. She needs familiarity and comfort more than ever now and that is you. ((((((Hugs)))))
She is probably still in shock and grieving. Give her time to come to terms with what has happened. Do this together as much as possible and you may find your bond will be stronger than ever once you have found a way through the sadness with one another.

If she continues to refuse food, please seek some veterinary attention for her. She needs to stay hydrated and eating and while she won't feel like it she may need to be syringe fed to keep her insides working correctly.

I really hope the two of you can help one another through this unhappy time. Bless you. xxxx

Back