• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mission Easter Bunny: Secret Agent Task 5

Well today we went to the vets and me and my mum got talking to a lovely lady that had her rabbit with her, he was gorgeous i must say:love::love: but she was new to owning a rabbit and i told her that he would need to be neutered and would be best having a partner as he was already vaccinated, she didnt know that they were social animals. We also talked about housing as she was keeping him in a 4foot 'petshop hutch' as this is what the petshop recommended to her :evil: So i showed her pictures of my bunnies and there housing and she was impressed :D and said she would get him a bigger hutch with an attatched run or maybe a playhouse. She then asked me about the food to feed them on and told her i fed mine on SS , i think she said he was fed on wagg museli, so i told her about selective feeding:thumb: She was so grateful of the information i told her and she even booked him in for his neuter while we were there :thumb: I think it was a job well done

I've been educating my neighbour today :) she bunny sat my babies when we went to Devon and when I saw her today she was asking some questions about their diet and why they lived inside etc.

She wants to buy rabbits for herself and so I gave her a little bit of information about everything (rescues, pairs, vaccinations, costs etc) and told her to pop in and chat about the bunnies any time she liked. :D

So funny this be the task as I was just telling my best friend all about it when she said she really wanted a conti! I told her to keep her eyes on the rescues instead of goin with a breeders also said that it may be best to get two from a rescue which already may be bonded (even if they aren't giants) as that would be better for the rabbits and she would probably get a netutered pair to save accidental litters and help save certain future illness. I then went on to show her suitable hutches and runs and that they needed out everyday and lots of attention. Told all about the importance of hay as well. Most if my friends roll thief eyes when I go on talking about buns but she really seemed interested in what I said and said I was a great help and that if she does decided to go ahead with getting one she will consult with me on it all. So that made me feel right a great bun owner/lover.
But I owe a lot of that to RU so to everyone thank you you've helped me help!

Eeee that's me done all the tasks now, never thought I'd be able to do it.

Everybody I meet gets a crash course in rabbit care! :lol: Does this count?

My work colleagues know (but probably wouldn't listen anyway) and my friends will never buy a rabbit because of how much trouble they are! :lol: People I volunteer with know about my bunnies and know the basics of bunny care and that just about covers everyone I see. :shock:

I have been in "Rabbit Police mode" ever since we got our guys. In terms of educating and making a difference I have educated 3 of my cousins.

1. Has an intact lone male in a hutch in the yard. He now at least gets free-range time round the yard and has made friends with the cat.
2. Acquired her sisters supposed lone intact male in a 3 foot hutch. This bun now has a 8 x 3 hutch, was booked in for a neuter which was actually a spay (she is about 5 so fortunate I encouraged them to take what turned out to be her!)
3. Was going to buy 2 P&H buns at Easter but rehomed two from an unwanted litter instead.

I also approached someone looking at cages in P&H yesterday and explained they were only suitable as a base in a larger enclosure and that a dog crate is probably better anyway. I suggested they look on here and at RSPCA and RWAF guidelines and googled "a hutch is not enough".

I have colleague at work, who recently did get his children a pair of female rex bunnies but
really they were for himself, only his wife was not supposed to know that.
Prior to him finding the pair at a rescue centre, he asked me lots of questions about the care of rabbits, to make sure he could give them the kind of home they need.
I continue to give him advice ranging from housing, bedding, feeding, toys and grooming.
He even phoned me, when he was cutting his bunnies nails, as he had cut one to short and it bleeding and was in a panic, and I told him it would be ok and to dip the nail in some flour.
We have many bunny chats and I think we learn from each other.
I hope this counts

Same as posts above, this is something I do anyway :lol: but in the timescale - we had a work experience student this week (has a housemate with a rabbit) and we've had various conversations about rabbit diet, housing, exercise and enrichment...

(I also went to a local pet store which used to sell 3ft hutches, to 'enlighten' to some of the staff but turns out they are now selling mostly 5ft and 6ft hutches :D )

I hate that I'm having to post in this task again. After all my postings over Easter my stupid friend who got married over Easter decided a brilliant wedding present would be a rabbit. :evil:

Poor thing is in a tiny hutch, no hay to see, on sawdust, only one chew toy and no attached run.

I've pointed her in the direction of RWAF and Rabbits Need Space and casually asked her when her little girl will be getting a friend. We'll see.

I actually feel like crying I am so frustrated. :( when will people learn?

Pets shops need to take responcibility and ensure people are housing pets in reasonable set ups but they won't :(

One colleague with existing buns gets regular lectures on giving them more hay and has been sent off with samples of different kinds for them to try.

Other colleague who was thinking of getting a new bun told about rescues and given Rabbit Residence contact details instead of going to p@h. Fingers crossed on that one.

Just did this about a couple weeks ago!:thumb: My friend wanted to use a extra small dog carrier for a bun she was gonna get and I said "No bunny can live a cage that small" So my friend was like "Well you know WAY more about buns than I do so okay" I just told her I have a spare bun cage for her and she said okay thanks! So I just saved a bunny from living in a small cage for the rest of its life!:D

Unbelievable (but sadly true): the veterinary nurse was talking to me and the guy at reception how rabbit are NOT social animals! My jaw dropped and I showed her the leaflet the vet himself hands out that clearly states that they are VERY social animals. I told her hoe all my buns have always enjoyed another bunnies company and that keeping them seperate is cruel!

I was staying over at my aunties and we were having a chat about animals (her friend keeps a lot of rabbits) and I explained to her (she doesn't know much about animals) how their living accomadation was far too small (less than 4 ft) and that rabbits are very social animals (they were being kept on their own). I said I'd really like to have a pair of bunnies and she asked why not, they aren't that expensive surely?
I then told her about the expensives of keeping a rabbit and lifespan etc.

I explained to my friend's daughter (who owns 4 buns) how rabbits need more space then most people think to be happy and healthy and do the things they love (binky, periscope etc.) She now lets her buns free range in the garden sometimes. :)

Back