• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mischief and Lillabelle

Its awkward having two bunnies with different dietary needs. I can't really think of a way around it without separating them but it'd be a shame to separate mid bond if its going really well & you're doing a fast bond technique. Quite often you have to adapt plans & go with your gut. I guess you'll have to separate them for feeding once bonded too

Its awkward having two bunnies with different dietary needs. I can't really think of a way around it without separating them but it'd be a shame to separate mid bond if its going really well & you're doing a fast bond technique. Quite often you have to adapt plans & go with your gut. I guess you'll have to separate them for feeding once bonded too
Yes that's the problem. I think we have to hope they will accept this as routine and as long as they are kept close so they can see each other maybe they will be ok. I can only try it and if it upsets their bonding we may have to leave bonding them until they are both on adult SS but even then she should eat more than him. It's a tricky one.

They have got used to being swapped in and out their cages to take turns free roaming. They even meerkat inside the cage when it is their time to come out. Maybe they will just accept their seperation for feeding? They are both pretty clever.

It is difficult though as they don't usually eat all their pellets in one go. She does eat very quickly so I wonder if I can move them both onto adult SS soon. She is 13 weeks now so maybe at 16 weeks we could wean them both over to SS. Then I could try leaving some out for both of them and hope she continues to eat them quickly so Mischief has less. But I feel happier knowing that they get the right amount.

I guess it is always a bit of a dilemma with bonded buns. They won't always eat the same amount and be the perfect weight. But with a baby it's a bit more challenging getting them to eat the right food for their weight xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

We have another problem...Mischief needs another post op check at the vets as last one was done over the phone and the only time available is Monday evening!

Do we go ahead with the bonding and then take him to the vets? Bearing in mind he does get stressed on vet visits. Or is it better to wait until he has recovered from the vets? I'm inclined to think it would be best to wait now. It's so annoying! I was really excited about bonding them this weekend coming [emoji20]

We have another problem...Mischief needs another post op check at the vets as last one was done over the phone and the only time available is Monday evening!

Do we go ahead with the bonding and then take him to the vets? Bearing in mind he does get stressed on vet visits. Or is it better to wait until he has recovered from the vets? I'm inclined to think it would be best to wait now. It's so annoying! I was really excited about bonding them this weekend coming [emoji20]

I guess a nurse could do nail trims when Mischief is being looked over. Its always good to have your bunnies in tip top health before bonding - it really depends if his check up will throw anything else up though he appears really well now. Waiting sounds sensible but I doubt I'd follow that advice myself :lol:

Food wise it sounds like a good idea to get them both onto SS in 2/3 weeks time and a small amount of Alfalfa shouldn't worry Mischief. You could then give them a normal amount of pellets between them sneaking a bit extra in for Lillabelle here and there. As long as they have plenty of Hay they should be fine.

Food wise it sounds like a good idea to get them both onto SS in 2/3 weeks time and a small amount of Alfalfa shouldn't worry Mischief. You could then give them a normal amount of pellets between them sneaking a bit extra in for Lillabelle here and there. As long as they have plenty of Hay they should be fine.
So until then do you think I should just seperate them? It will be 4/5 weeks until they are both on SS completely. I don't know if Science Selective junior is pretty much the same as the SS adult? In which case I could wean her over quickly perhaps?
And I could wean Mischief over now so he is ready?xx

I made a mistake with Lillabelle's weigh in. I forgot to take off the carrier weight!! [emoji38]She is now 2.6 kgs. I thought 3.3 kgs was a lot!

I don't think the vet was concentrating when I mentioned her weight. I can't see her having lost 0.7 kgs in 10 days!!

It's not a great photo but I just managed to get them together. I will try and get some better ones.
29fd427e8beb1fee30999d556faa07dc.jpg

I would go ahead with the bonding if it were me. The junior just has more protein and calcium in it and tbh I have never given babies any different to their Mums and they have been fine and live long. If you are sensible about what they eat everything should be fine, Lillabelle is not a young baby and if she was still with Mum she would be eating what Mum ate. If you give small amounts of forage, Readigrass, green veg, and pellets with hay and herbs, they will be fine. You don't need to give all that in the same day, just use your common sense, and don't forget Rabbits digest some of it twice. I am glad Lillabelle is lighter than what you thought!

Awwww they are so beautiful :love::love:
Thank you but it is a terrible photo! [emoji38] You can only just make out Lillabelle skulking in the shadows
In fact that is normal for her. She hides from you ready to leap out and attack! [emoji23] xx

I would go ahead with the bonding if it were me. The junior just has more protein and calcium in it and tbh I have never given babies any different to their Mums and they have been fine and live long. If you are sensible about what they eat everything should be fine, Lillabelle is not a young baby and if she was still with Mum she would be eating what Mum ate. If you give small amounts of forage, Readigrass, green veg, and pellets with hay and herbs, they will be fine. You don't need to give all that in the same day, just use your common sense, and don't forget Rabbits digest some of it twice. I am glad Lillabelle is lighter than what you thought!
Thank you so much. I think I will move them both over to Science Selective then. However it will not be straightaway as I need to buy some plus I have bags left of the other. We have spent so much money recently.

I think I will have to sprinkle her feed down for both of them for now. Is that the best idea? Mischief was eating her mix until recently anyway as he had it when he refused to eat. He would cope ok with her feed. I could sprinkle down Excel adult aswell but I'm thinking it would be too much for her tummy. Would that be right?

The other dilemma is the amount of feed she has. Firstly, am I right to feed her so much pellets/mixed feed? She has 4 of those little washing machine pots full. The squishy ones. I think they are about the size of an eggcup. She has currently half Science Selective junior and half her mix feed from breeder ( Allen and Page natural pellets and flaked peas). She literally wolfs a scoop down in 5 minutes and she is always begging for food. She has no real tummy. I think she is about right but I wouldn't want her any smaller.

She has a large pile of meadow hay mixed with 2 large handfuls of timothy hay, a small handful of Readigrass, one large handful of alfafa hay and a tiny amount of dried dandelion/plantain added.

She also has a small bowl of green veggies twice a day which is usually a mix of 3 of these...curly kale, spring greens, cavolo nero kale, coriander, flat leaf parsley and dill.

She hardly leaves any hay and polishes off everything else in sight. And she doesn't look fat by any means. Do I sprinkle down that much feed for them? I worry Mischief will scoff half of that and get fat while she loses condition. Will she be ok with lots of hay being a baby?

I'm planning to do this Saturday now. We will have to split them up on Monday for him to go to the vets. We have seperate carriers but not a large one for them both if they are bonded. We need to get a small dog crate for them for vet visits so we can sell Lillabelle's bigger crate and hopefully get one.

I just worry about under or over feeding them especially as Mischief is now at a good weight finally xx

Thank you but it is a terrible photo! [emoji38] You can only just make out Lillabelle skulking in the shadows
In fact that is normal for her. She hides from you ready to leap out and attack! [emoji23] xx

I like it a lot, Mischief's ears looked so cute :love:

After much deliberation I have decided to sprinkle both their feeds down. So a mix of Science Selective junior, her old mix and some Excel Adult. I will just give them 2 scoops of this twice a day so 4 in total. And just hope Lillabelle eats more than Mischief! If I am wrong please tell me now! [emoji38]

Omg Lillabelle is becoming a right pest! Scally wag is a mild word for her!

She is determined to try and squeeze herself behind Mischief's cage. Only there is a plug there and a big electric wire plugged in. We have baracaded this up with so many different things but somehow she always manages to climb over it or pull it all down!

Then I have to resort to coaxing her out with the walking stick again to which she hisses and spits and growls at it like a wild cat.

And when I say no she ignores me and just carries on trying to get round there. I ended up saying a really firm no with a raised voice to which I get Mischief thumping his back legs at me. He is already protecting his girlfriend! [emoji38]

I have some bad news.

I went to put hay in Mischief's cage and checked first to see Lillabelle was the other side of the room. However he was being feisty and growly as I put it in and I got distracted. Lillabelle must have come over (she is so quick and light on her feet) and somehow managed to sneak under my arm and got in his cage.

Mischief growled and did his two paw pounce thing at her and I grabbed her and got her out the cage quick. However as I shut the door she stuck her nose through the door of his cage and he growled at her again. I've put the barriers up around the cages again.

It is the first sign of aggression we have seen from them. It's not great timing especially as we were going to bond them tomorrow. Do I hold off on the bonding for a while?

Mischief seems really grumpy today. I just gave him some pellets aswell so it could be him protecting his food however he was growling at me possibly due to the heat although we are in a basement flat so it is cool with the fan on. He is moulting aswell so could be moody due to that.

I just want to avoid a fight as much as possible. I'm really worried he will attack Lillabelle now and she is so little still and so trusting. She just kept wanting to go near him even after he growled/lunged at her. I'm worried she won't read his warning signs properly. I'm so annoyed with myself for not noticing her come over. So near when we are due to bond them aswell! [emoji22]

I have some bad news.

I went to put hay in Mischief's cage and checked first to see Lillabelle was the other side of the room. However he was being feisty and growly as I put it in and I got distracted. Lillabelle must have come over (she is so quick and light on her feet) and somehow managed to sneak under my arm and got in his cage.

Mischief growled and did his two paw pounce thing at her and I grabbed her and got her out the cage quick. However as I shut the door she stuck her nose through the door of his cage and he growled at her again. I've put the barriers up around the cages again.

It is the first sign of aggression we have seen from them. It's not great timing especially as we were going to bond them tomorrow. Do I hold off on the bonding for a while?

Mischief seems really grumpy today. I just gave him some pellets aswell so it could be him protecting his food however he was growling at me possibly due to the heat although we are in a basement flat so it is cool with the fan on. He is moulting aswell so could be moody due to that.

I just want to avoid a fight as much as possible. I'm really worried he will attack Lillabelle now and she is so little still and so trusting. She just kept wanting to go near him even after he growled/lunged at her. I'm worried she won't read his warning signs properly. I'm so annoyed with myself for not noticing her come over. So near when we are due to bond them aswell! [emoji22]

Wait for someone who knows about bonding, the only thing I know is how they behave with a barrier up is completely different to how they behave without one most times. I hope it works out x

Wait for someone who knows about bonding, the only thing I know is how they behave with a barrier up is completely different to how they behave without one most times. I hope it works out x
Thank you. I won't be bonding them without good advice don't worry x

I'm not the most experienced but Rodney is a pro at doing the get put of my space pounce type movement and for him a totally normal part of bonding even in neutral space.

I expect this is in part due to her coming in while his food had been delivered. My two still get a bit antsy when nuggets are around.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back