• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mischief and Lillabelle-2nd attempt

So they were sitting by the door biting the blankets and shaking the door asking to come out. So we have let them out for a while.

Mischief keeps going behind the puppy pen and getting stuck. I said to my OH that maybe it's their natural burrowing instinct that is driving him. It gave me the idea of a big cardboard box for them to go in.

So I set up a huge cardboard box for them. Mischoef is in the box scrabbling and Lillabelle is behind him egging him on. Then she did some digging aswell. We got it all on camera [emoji38]
5265d859a35b98e08e195edda9f925cd.jpg
aa040a14a5640e45a2389b707a4e8f0b.jpg
43ae37cc54ff54626b65db8ed93a2e73.jpg
3fc751cb619691c153479f503c8d9ed5.jpg
afe34f250e0170d1515a239cbb17b607.jpg
1c5c4b8cac1b2dbbd932e2d717e03489.jpg
441e790c303846c883990277d3215384.jpg

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Awww all bunnies are cuter yes! [emoji7]

I think I have sussed out why she is around his back end. I noticed spotting on the blanket so checked them both over and Mischief's bottom was not 100% clean so I did a spruce up and cleaned his anal glands aswell. Hopefully that will mean Lillabelle no longer keeps trying to clean his tail end.

I noticed yesterday that Lillabelle was not so interested in their veggies so think he may have eaten extra and so made his poops a bit runny. I will reduce their veggies and pellets from now on. I also did not feed them any this morning so that it resets his tummy.

I will keep a close eye on him especially as his bottom was not clean. I think it is possible I am giving them too much veggies aswell. I didn't want Mischief to lose weight so have been feeding them extra veggies/pellets while they are in the puppy pen so it could have upset his tum.

I guess as long as they are eating hay they should be ok but I if Mischief loses any more weight I will speak to the vet.

They are sitting by the door waiting for their veggies tonight so I will feed them a smaller amount and see how it goes and keep checking Mischief's rear end to make sure it is clean.
Oh, that makes so much sense that she was washing his behind because it wasn't completely clean! Casper does the same thing when Sophie's a bit dirty there; I wish I had thought to mention it! Has she stopped? I hope Mischief's tummy has settled down now. That's understandable that you gave him more veggies and pellets because you didn't want him to lose more weight.

Those photos of Lillabelle are so, so cute. :love: What a precious girl. :love: And I'm so glad Mischief had fun with his box, and Lillabelle had fun egging him on and doing some digging herself! :lol: They made a very impressive hole! I love the photo of Mischief lying down in his box. :love:

Oh, that makes so much sense that she was washing his behind because it wasn't completely clean! Casper does the same thing when Sophie's a bit dirty there; I wish I had thought to mention it! Has she stopped? I hope Mischief's tummy has settled down now. That's understandable that you gave him more veggies and pellets because you didn't want him to lose more weight.

Those photos of Lillabelle are so, so cute. :love: What a precious girl. :love: And I'm so glad Mischief had fun with his box, and Lillabelle had fun egging him on and doing some digging herself! [emoji38] They made a very impressive hole! I love the photo of Mischief lying down in his box. :love:
She didn't so much try to clean his butt more sniff at it. He hates anyone or anything near there. He hates being groomed there. I can never get a brush near there for long. So I can see why it was causing him a problem. I have been checking him twice a day since but he is clean. I did trim some fur off him though as he was due a bottom haircut and he will probably find it easier to keep himself clean now.

No I haven't seen her doing that since. Lillabelle is still grooming his back and shoulders mostly and occasionally the top of his head. However they look much more settled now. They sleep in a pair rather than seperate areas of the puppy pen which is good.

Lillabelle follows Mischief about like his shadow. And whatever he does she is looking and sniffing it after and it is very sweet watching them. They do look like two little hoodlams. My daughter told me she wants to get them a baseball cap each and chains around there neck and do a photo shoot! [emoji41]

I laughed but said 'Noooooo you are not dressing them up!' I personally don't like seeing animals dressed up for our amusement. They can't enjoy it surely? I hope I haven't upset anyone by saying that [emoji55]

I have cut their pellets and veggies down and had no more issues. They are sniffing around more at the end as if they are hungry whereas before they just lay down as if full up. Is it more normal for them to be hungry still after their veggies? I'm trying to get the right balance for them. They have so much hay though so they would never go hungry.

Lillabelle is a little sweetie yes. She is so pretty with her lilac coat and I love her ears! They move forwards and backwards as she listens. I have never seen that with any of my french lops before. I love it when she lifts them up like in that photo! [emoji7]

They had so much fun digging that hole in their box. Mischief was the main digger but Lillabelle did take a shift. They are in it again now. They are digging a hole in the other side of the box now. So much racket! [emoji38]

She didn't so much try to clean his butt more sniff at it. He hates anyone or anything near there. He hates being groomed there. I can never get a brush near there for long. So I can see why it was causing him a problem. I have been checking him twice a day since but he is clean. I did trim some fur off him though as he was due a bottom haircut and he will probably find it easier to keep himself clean now.

No I haven't seen her doing that since. Lillabelle is still grooming his back and shoulders mostly and occasionally the top of his head. However they look much more settled now. They sleep in a pair rather than seperate areas of the puppy pen which is good.

Lillabelle follows Mischief about like his shadow. And whatever he does she is looking and sniffing it after and it is very sweet watching them. They do look like two little hoodlams. My daughter told me she wants to get them a baseball cap each and chains around there neck and do a photo shoot! [emoji41]

I laughed but said 'Noooooo you are not dressing them up!' I personally don't like seeing animals dressed up for our amusement. They can't enjoy it surely? I hope I haven't upset anyone by saying that [emoji55]

I have cut their pellets and veggies down and had no more issues. They are sniffing around more at the end as if they are hungry whereas before they just lay down as if full up. Is it more normal for them to be hungry still after their veggies? I'm trying to get the right balance for them. They have so much hay though so they would never go hungry.

Lillabelle is a little sweetie yes. She is so pretty with her lilac coat and I love her ears! They move forwards and backwards as she listens. I have never seen that with any of my french lops before. I love it when she lifts them up like in that photo! [emoji7]

They had so much fun digging that hole in their box. Mischief was the main digger but Lillabelle did take a shift. They are in it again now. They are digging a hole in the other side of the box now. So much racket! [emoji38]

Oh, I see! I'm glad she hasn't done it since you cleaned him. It must've really bothered him that she kept sniffing there, yes, when he hates it when anyone or anything gets near there. I'm glad they're much more settled now and are sleeping in a pair. :love: It sounds so sweet and funny how she needs to look at and sniff everything Mischief does. I don't think they'd enjoy the photo shoot your daughter has in mind. :lol: I completely agree with you about not liking seeing animals dressed up for amusement.

I think it's fine if they're still hungry after they've eaten their veggies. You're not really giving the veggies to fill them up after all; it's just a small part of their diet. It's good if they're still hungry after their veggies, because they'll eat more hay! :)

That's so cute that Lillabelle's ears move forwards and backwards as she listens, aw. :love: I'm glad they're still having fun with their box, making another hole! :lol:

Oh, I see! I'm glad she hasn't done it since you cleaned him. It must've really bothered him that she kept sniffing there, yes, when he hates it when anyone or anything gets near there. I'm glad they're much more settled now and are sleeping in a pair. :love: It sounds so sweet and funny how she needs to look at and sniff everything Mischief does. I don't think they'd enjoy the photo shoot your daughter has in mind. [emoji38] I completely agree with you about not liking seeing animals dressed up for amusement.

I think it's fine if they're still hungry after they've eaten their veggies. You're not really giving the veggies to fill them up after all; it's just a small part of their diet. It's good if they're still hungry after their veggies, because they'll eat more hay! :)

That's so cute that Lillabelle's ears move forwards and backwards as she listens, aw. :love: I'm glad they're still having fun with their box, making another hole! [emoji38]
She hasn't tried to sniff his butt since! Thank god it was easily sorted [emoji4]

Yes she follows him everywhere. They are like Mischief and his dark shadow! I'm sure we are not the only ones on here that hate animals being dressed up! This forum is about bunnies coming first after all. I do agree with dogs and other animals having a coat on for warmth in cold weather though. Just not really for a fashion only.

Thank you for clarifying the veggies situation. I think I was piling on the veg too much to make sure they get enough to share. I kind of forgot that Lillabelle is still a baby in my need to make sure they are fed well. I worry that the hay is not enough for them but I have cut their veggies and pellets down a lot.

I weighed them tonight. Mischief's weight has not changed which I have decided I am pleased with. He is dashing about the place and doing some amazing binkies so I feel it is a good weight for him and he has loads of energy! [emoji4]

Lillabelle has put on 0.2 kgs in 2 weeks and is now 3.3kgs. Is 0.2kgs a lot for a french lop? She has gone a bit tubby around her tummy so I am watching her weight. I seem to be getting their feed rations wrong! [emoji20] She is running full speed everywhere though and she did a massive jump today! She jumped over Mischief and over the bottom step of the door in one leap and landed a long way past the door! I was extremely impressed!!

So I am downing their veggies a little more and currently keeping their pellets at 1 and a half eggcups twice a day scattered about. I am wondering if I should start feeding them their pellets seperately in bowls again but I am nervous of it causing an argument?

I love her ears too! In fact I just love Lillabelle full stop. She is a funny little thing. She comes up for loving now and lets you stroke her and I can pick her up to put her away if necessary as long as I keep her low to the floor and talk to her and move slowly. Otherwise she kicks off and growls continuously but it sounds like a buzzing sound.

She let us do her front paws aswell this week. We haven't done her back paws yet. They are not too bad really. We only did her front paws as they are like needles and we only snipped off the very end just in case Mischief and her fought and she scratched him. She does some damage with her nails. She sliced my finger the other day!

The now have 2 big holes in their box big enough for Lillabelle to get through [emoji3]

I was all set tonight to go for my blood test tomorrow and then go to my daughters overnight then shopping the next day. I was very nervous about leaving the buns and must have told my OH how much feed to give, to make sure he changes the litter trays, to give them fresh water, to watch them when they eat to check they do not argue,to let them out for a run before he goes to work...I was totally doing his head in. Poor guy! [emoji38]

Then my OH was shouting at me as I was in the kitchen tonight...I rushed in and he said Lillabelle looked like she tried to hump Mischief and they did that twirly thing (he means bunny tornado) and Mischief then ran off!

So I got spooked and cancelled everything I had planned. Even my blood test. I've booked it again for next week but I knew I couldn't leave them! Am I worrying too much? Or are they signs I should be watching them carefully? I will need to leave them eventually as my life has been put on hold. Luckily I don't work so there is no major rush but wondered what is normal please and was I right to be concerned?...

Last edited:
One more thing...it is not about bonding but Lillabelle keeps making noises. I think they are hiccups as her body kind of jumps as she makes a noise like a hiccup. I can't get a video as yet as I need to use my OH's phone as mine is no good (although we plan to get me a new phone this week Yay!) and I am just not quick enough to catch it on video in time.

I am aware that babies do hiccup more however it is not always after she eats/drinks. Is it anything to be concerned about? Do I need to ask a vet about it please anyone?...Thanks

As I said before I don't know about bunny binding but I understand your concern, I would be worried too if I were you. But if you feel something isn't right, I think you're right, I always believe that.

Can you find similar video on youtube to fully understand Lilabelle's hiccups? There are lots of similar videos on youtube. At least we'll see what the hiccup you're talking about

Back