• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Minimum indoor cage?

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Binkys hutch outdoors is doing my head in, its half a foot too small and its second hand from my dads colleagues mum who used to keep rabbits and its just old and used, the floor doesn't fit in properly but its secure - her pee leaks out the corner-.-

im home all day, I dont go to bed till at least 12pm and I wake up at 7am so she will literally be in it for 7 hours, and gradually she will free range throughout the night aswell (just need to show ny parents that shes okay to have indoors, then she can come out at night also :lol: )

She is going to go in my other shed soon but it needs emptying and ebay-ing so that could be a while :lol:

Whats the minimum you would go for an indoor night time enclosure?
Shes only a small bunny ( netherland dwarf x mini lop)

Ive found a cheap cage and its one of them generic cages that you would NEVER shut a rabbit in all day, its literally going to be a base

Whats your opinion on size?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I have an indoor bun, and he does have one of those cages but only as a giant hay tray and a litter box :) it's just a place I can stick loads of hay in without him trashing my room haha.
The indoor cage is attached to his puppy pen, so he has about 8ftx5ft of space permanently - and free range of my bedroom all day and up until about 12pm (and let out about half 6am) :)
To be honest, being a bit more knowledgeable now I don't think I would really bother with an indoor cage if I made his set up again - I'd definitely look at getting a huge dog crate or even just making a pen out of puppy pen panels as then you can make it as big as you want :)

Ferg is a little nethy x mini lop too, and even the 8ft x 4ft he has at night makes me feel a bit guilty! I'd love to let him out all night but I'd never get any sleep with him using my head as a spring board (I tried it for a while!), go as big as you can for an area! :)
I'm in the process of clearing out the smallest bedroom of the house and hopefully going to turn that into a free range permanently bunny room, I think the more space the better :)

The tricky thing is rabbit's are often active in the same period as we like to sleep so although it's only for 7 hours it's likely if you go too small you'll find she makes a lot of noise and kicks up a fuss being confined.

I've a list of cages by floorarea here: http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/rabbitcages.asp the top four meet the minimum size requirements i.e. are equivalent to a 6' hutch. Then there are a few not too far under it.

You might be able to find one of those second hand which would work temporarily. I wouldn't buy one new if you aren't going to use it long term as it's a lot of cash to spend for a temporary fix. Are your parents insisting on something cage-like?

The other option would be to do up a second hand hutch (or your own hutch. Indoors you could chop off the legs to rest it on the floor to support the base. Cover the floor in lino. Paint the outside - that sort of thing. No reason you can't have a hutch indoors :)

The tricky thing is rabbit's are often active in the same period as we like to sleep so although it's only for 7 hours it's likely if you go too small you'll find she makes a lot of noise and kicks up a fuss being confined.

I've a list of cages by floorarea here: http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/rabbitcages.asp the top four meet the minimum size requirements i.e. are equivalent to a 6' hutch. Then there are a few not too far under it.

You might be able to find one of those second hand which would work temporarily. I wouldn't buy one new if you aren't going to use it long term as it's a lot of cash to spend for a temporary fix. Are your parents insisting on something cage-like?

The other option would be to do up a second hand hutch (or your own hutch. Indoors you could chop off the legs to rest it on the floor to support the base. Cover the floor in lino. Paint the outside - that sort of thing. No reason you can't have a hutch indoors :)
it was the trixie cage that I was looking at, ive found one in good condition for £25!

is that a good cage?

id rather not buy another hutch - Bellas in a shed and I can't afford another shed atm so this is temporarily until I can fix the other shed up
I like hutches but binky doesn't :lol: plus I dont think you get enough space for money, where as if I cage her for 7 hours and the rest of the day she can free range until she can be trusted to go 24/7 free ranging :lol:

she will eventually go into the other shed untils she can be rebonded with bella

the trixie cage is in the top 4 so its a good cage?
if not ill try and find a cheap second hand dog crate

Apparently she isnt aloud to live indoors now despite them saying earlier that she could - yet they won't give me a bigger area of the garden so I could buy her a bigger hutch :censored:
I pay for everything myself but its Just because I live under this roof - ill probably be moving out in 2-3 years if life goes my way but it could be even longer, then they will both be spayed and re bonded house buns

I feel so mean keeping her, I can afford to give her everything yet the wont let me - its selfish for me to keep her because she lives in a 5&hald foot cage and she gets brilliant care but its just the cage and the spaying and bonding, if I wasnt so selfish id put her up for adoption so she could be in a huge cage.

She is also technically my familys rabbit (though I do and pay for everything) so im restricted even further

Last edited:
I have a dog crate for my two, it is permanently open and they free range in the living room when I'm not there and the whole flat in the evenings.
The dog crate isn't huge, but it is purely for waterbottles, hay rack and litter tray.

Back