• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mini Rant - Sorry

Livi

Alpha Buck
The cover I have for the hutch is very snug fitting, we really struggle getting it on and off.
In this weather we always take it completely off – as opposed to just unzipping the ‘windows’ and clipping them up – as it allows Pip more air flow around the bottom section of her hutch, so obviously on a daily basis it is put under strain when putting on/taking off.

Me and my sister carefully put the cover on at approximately 10/10.30 every night, but last night it split slightly at the side while putting it on. I had a major panic but managed to carefully pull it on without making the tear worse, and again managed to do the same this morning.
But now I am really worried about putting it on later on – in case it splits further.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or know of any other hutch covers to fit a 6 foot wide double storey hutch?

I am really worried as I go on holiday Saturday morning for a week, and my neighbours are caring for Pip (they have a rabbit & have been a great help answering all our questions etc). Obviously if the cover splits ill be worried sick that she isn’t able to be covered up at night (we have a large fox population). I know the cover isn’t FOX proof – but its an extra deterrent.

On my return, I will probably un-pick one of the seams that goes right down one side and replace with a long zip, as well as adding zips to below the windows too. But now I am in a right panic with only a few days to go – eeek!:cry:

:wave: Hi Livi, I said on your other thread I don't actually rate those covers at all for this weather, I think they restrict the air flow too much, if a fox is intent on having a go at getting into the hutch the cover won't really offer any protection at all so I wouldn't panic too much. Is there anyway you can afford to get one of these http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-pet-play-pen-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-by-pets-at-home-24353 it can go round the hutch and you can peg the net over the top, that way she has plenty of air and the bars on these play pens are steel I think. I can see why your worried, if all else fails get a tarpaulin from B & Q and peg it to the playpen maybe leaving a gap at the bottom for air flow.

Thank you Vicki. The playpen looks good – Ill have to look into a few things first. Even if I can buy it – I am worried about delivery/getting the playpen in time for my hol....Sounds very secure though!

I am now seriously considering trying somehow to tidy the garage & get enough space to move her in there while we are away…..it is far cooler in there too I guess – but in reality I don’t think ill be able to do it because of space!

I have some fly netting I ordered from Dee’s Rabbit Accessories which is due to arrive in the next day or so, but I only ordered enough at this stage to make little curtains for all the open bits of the hutch – otherwise I could have draped & wrapped it the whole way round at night – covering the locks etc.

Thank you Vicki. The playpen looks good – Ill have to look into a few things first. Even if I can buy it – I am worried about delivery/getting the playpen in time for my hol....Sounds very secure though!

I am now seriously considering trying somehow to tidy the garage & get enough space to move her in there while we are away…..it is far cooler in there too I guess – but in reality I don’t think ill be able to do it because of space!

I have some fly netting I ordered from Dee’s Rabbit Accessories which is due to arrive in the next day or so, but I only ordered enough at this stage to make little curtains for all the open bits of the hutch – otherwise I could have draped & wrapped it the whole way round at night – covering the locks etc.

Oooh I am after some of that, can you post the link for me please, does it keep mozzies out aswell?

The playpens are in stock on the shelf at PAH thats why I suggested it, if you have one nearby you go in and buy it and take it away off the shelf. They also all connect together so if you bought two say, you would also have a good size rabbit run similar to the ones you posted - it would work out slightly cheaper, mine were £39.00 each and are six panels with rods - I have 4 well did have, gave one to next door to make their rabbit more secure while they were on holiday, it makes a good size run all connected together. I had to buy a new piece of net to cover the whole lot though, the individual bits that come with the playpens are cut to a hexagon shape - tight wads or what - it only cost about £6 for a massive section, I think I got about 8m x 4 m in total.

More advice sought – sorry everyone! *double posting* xx

My fly netting has arrived & I am trying to figure the best way of attaching it to Pips hutch…. I am thinking of sticky backed Velcro (as opposed to staples) so I can easily remove and thoroughly clean everywhere as & when needed.

But my concern is – how do I attach it to the mesh fronted bits of her hutch where her water bottles are? Am I better fixing it securely – without bottle & then marking out 3 openings in the correct places for nozzle, and fixtures to hold bottle to slip through – as I want the netting to be as snug as possible to prevent any sneaky flies approaching through a gap.

Opinions?

Thanks for the link I will have a look later :D Can you not use pegs ? I would go for the velcro and maybe pegs - I wouldn't worry too much about where the food is - as long as she is clean and dry and her little tray changed daily and some fresh hay for eating put in a little basket she should be OK, as far as I am aware, buns with flystrike will act differently aswell although by then it is advanced - just check her bottom and keep her nice and dry and clean.:wave:

Great link thanks for sharing this. I really want to know more about rabbits and would appreciate if you can share more links about it as well. Regarding the picture I really like the idea of the fence type it is not that big but still good enough for my rabbits to stretch their muscles. I like also the color of the black and white rabbit. Been looking for that since I was small and I also like the all black colored rabbit.

Back