• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam photo sensitivity?/ Updated, spoken to manufacturers

:censored: Does that include the brown med bottles as I decant loads into it. Enough for a week. Does that mean Tulip is actually not getting any pain meds at all:cry:

My poor Tulip:cry: Are all vets being notified of this?

I don't know. From speaking to the company it doesn't seem like it is something new that has been discovered, it has always been a fact that Meloxicam is photosensitive. I guess it was just that my vet had just found out about it :?

Just seen this but seems you have found the solution already. We are told it is light sensitive at uni - all drugs that come in brown bottles are too. Like Liz said, you can probably draw it into a syringe and leave it for 20 mins or so, but i wouldnt leave any sat in direct sunlight or decant it into another container if you aren't going to use it within those 20 minutes. So there isnt any need for tinted syringes! Easiest way i find is to leave it in the original box and draw drugs from there.
Because meloxicam comes out of solution, i'm not sure if shaking it up would resuspend it or not? i.e. if you were concerned you had left it out too long?

:censored: Does that include the brown med bottles as I decant loads into it. Enough for a week. Does that mean Tulip is actually not getting any pain meds at all:cry:

Sorry to bump this but I'm confused, the Metacam I got for Smudge is in a brown bottle, that's how they gave it to me.

At my old vets I got it in a dropper bottle, but that was cat metacam and I was told to give Mini two drops. :roll:

i have the white syringe cat metacm for felix and draw it out that way, i never seen brown bottles. But this made me worry as i out in this food which he doesnt away eat stright (sp.) away so he propbery doesnt always get this full dose? :(

Sorry to bump this but I'm confused, the Metacam I got for Smudge is in a brown bottle, that's how they gave it to me.

At my old vets I got it in a dropper bottle, but that was cat metacam and I was told to give Mini two drops. :roll:

I think brown bottles prevent certain light wavelengths too. They have been used for medicines for donkeys years :wave:

I think brown bottles prevent certain light wavelengths too. They have been used for medicines for donkeys years :wave:

Ah good good, wonder why some give it in dropper bottles and some don't. I find the bottles and syringes much much easier.

The manufactures told me it should not be dispensed in to anything other than the white bottles it comes in. I specifically asked about brown bottles as I was putting a daily amount in one to make it easier to draw up and they said no to them, it can only stay out of the original bottle for a max of 40 minutes :?

The manufactures told me it should not be dispensed in to anything other than the white bottles it comes in. I specifically asked about brown bottles as I was putting a daily amount in one to make it easier to draw up and they said no to them, it can only stay out of the original bottle for a max of 40 minutes :?

ohhhh, thats not good :?, we always get it in those brown bottles

I wonder - is it cat or dog metacam you use? We always get the dog metacam in brown bottles at Trinity vets but our old vets gave us cat metacam in the white dropper bottles.

i got it dispensed into a clear bottle, but it was kept in a white bad, so its dark in there. :S hmm!! Im to much of a woos (sp?) to ask my vet about this, they think im a know all :p

I wonder - is it cat or dog metacam you use? We always get the dog metacam in brown bottles at Trinity vets but our old vets gave us cat metacam in the white dropper bottles.

Dog metacam

We use the 180ml bottles so once it had got below a certain level we couldn't reach it with a syringe so had to pour some into a brown bottle each day. But now we do as marie suggested and draw it up with the big metacam syringe and then put the 1ml syringe into that. A bit fiddly but there seems to be little choice :?

How strange. :? It seems to have worked anyway. Nutmeg never showed any signs of pain after her op :? I have noticed that 90% of the bottle is covered by their label which I suppose helps.

I started Tulip on a new bottle of Metacam after this news, and noticed no difference what-so-ever in her apparent comfort. It was stored in the brown medicine bottles before.

When she went on Prednicare she had to have a 24hr (vet would preferred longer but she was very ill.) break between finishing the Metacam and starting the Prednicare.

In that 24 hr period I saw a huge negative affect in her comfort level. I did think she could have died at one point. Thank God steroids work so quick.

Thank you for the warning though, have you noticed any improvements with your guys since learning this?

Its so hard to tell with our buns as many are deteriorating one way or another any way :(

It did cross my mind that they said about keeping it in the original bottles so that we have to buy whole bottles and therefore they sell more :? But all I can do is ask them about the issue of photosensitivity and pass that on to you.

If I can personally work it so the metacam isn't exposed to light then I will just to be on the safe side :)

Its so hard to tell with our buns as many are deteriorating one way or another any way :(

It did cross my mind that they said about keeping it in the original bottles so that we have to buy whole bottles and therefore they sell more :? But all I can do is ask them about the issue of photosensitivity and pass that on to you.

If I can personally work it so the metacam isn't exposed to light then I will just to be on the safe side :)

Have you tried taking the stopper/dropper part out of the lid of the bottle? It lifts out - you just have to get your nails in between the hard plastic neck and the rubber stopper insert. I always take the dropper out and then can use the bottle as a normal bottle i.e fits any size syringe. Well that's with the 35ml bottle anyway :wave:

Have you tried taking the stopper/dropper part out of the lid of the bottle? It lifts out - you just have to get your nails in between the hard plastic neck and the rubber stopper insert. I always take the dropper out and then can use the bottle as a normal bottle i.e fits any size syringe. Well that's with the 35ml bottle anyway :wave:

We always did this, but with a 180 ml bottle a 1ml syringe only reaches the metacam for the first few days then it is too low. This is why we dispensed some into a brown bottle daily to get it into the syringe, but we have stopped doing this now :wave:

Back