• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Medium to large scale rabbit housing - construction plans?

AmberUK said:
Is plastic covered ok? Don't they chew it?

Given that Cassidy has savaged every attempt to pretect mains cables from her (and her from them), going through spiral wrap, hosepipe, steel shower hose and even having a go at braided Kevlar wrap, I think a bit of plastic is the least of our worries!

Actually, ours have mostly grown out of chewing now, apart from their various toys. Thanks again for all the ideas - I'm tempted to build something based around some sort of cupboard with an open-topped run attached...

I have cages/beds made from PWS Greenline panels and also the smaller cubes. The small cube panels are plastic covered metal. I gave up on the funny connectors and the whole room is held together with cable ties.
The PWS Panels are huge and make a nice big bed. Coco has a PWS one, he's a pretty big boy (frenchie cross I think) and he can stand up on hind legs and push the bed without tipping it over or even moving it. He has also taken to having tantrums with the door and pushes against it really hard (must think he's super bunny :lol: ) it hasn't budged bit. The smaller cubes are great, you can make some great beds with those. I have a 2 level one, which has a 'hole' so they can jump up and down to get about. Then Sophie has a 3 level one, it's not very wide so I built it up the way so I didn't lose anymore floor space. Angel will soon have a similar one as his is a bit titchy just now. Oh there is one other bed as well, it started out as 3 levels as well but has now been spilt into 2 beds as Jasper needs her own space (she used to live with Coco) The only problem I have with these beds is that the levels need to be covered so no bunny loses a foot or anything, I have been using cardboard to do this. The bunnies think this is great as when they are shut in they have something to do dig and rip up the cardboard. Fun for them and a pest for me, I have to replace them every month or so, less for Boo and Chloe. While replacing sounds easy enough it also means I have to pull apart the beds everytime. If anyone can think of anything which isn't too expensive but will last that would be great. Andi, Bertie if you want piccies let me know and I will see what I can find. The beds have been converted so much I have a few different variations.
Angela

bluebunny said:
i would love to see pics angela!

Oh yes please me too Angela :D

where did you get the cubes from?
Just what I was thinking Blue bunny....it looks like a brilliant idea, and we are always looking for new set ups for the Sanctuary bunnies.

There's this that I have seen before - gives some good ideas on how to put the cages together for guinea pigs http://cavycages.com/howto.htm. the link on the left 'Finding Materials' has an 'England' option and lists some ideas for where to find the items needed.

I have white covered cubes I bought from Homebase when I cleared out my local one! They were selling the packs off at £10 each but I have a feeling it was so they could clear all the stock and that they no longer stock them. If you want to try them they are in the bathroom section as mentioned by someone else as they are intended for bathroom storage. If they do still stock them the original price was £20 a pack for 13 panels I think it was. Costco also sell these as storage cubes. I have also been lucky enough to be at a local car boot fair and find someone who was selling them, I got so lucky that day 42 panels for £2!!!!!!!!!!!! The poor people were so scared as I almost pounced on them through excitement of spotting some of these. I was so chuffed I was grinning and the people kept giving me such strange looks wonder why?? :lol:
I found a site the other day selling think it was the 16 panels like what Bluebunny got from Kathy, in silver. Bear with me and I will trudge through my favourites to find it (got about 100 of them to go through can't remember the site name) 16 panels for £20, is a wee bit expensive but not that bad I think. Will get some piccies for you tonight as well.
Angela

On that Cavy Cages site I have listed above - at the bootom right of the first page is a link to photos and testimonials - lots of pics on there for guinea and bun cages.

these 'cube' things could prove really handy. i think i'm erring towards a dog crate for the bun's main home (as i'm NO diy expert) but the flexibility that the PWS Greenline panels / cubes can make, especially helping with the bunny proofing, may be essential.

nb the link to the pws greenline site from rr didn't work for me - hope this link does... http://pwsgreenline.co.uk/webstore/product_info.php/products_id/49 nb (to quote rabbit :) )

ps - pics please!

:oops: I think I am losing the plot. Last week I seen a link to a piggy cage site, from their I found a UK supplier of the panels. I also had a look at the correx/coroplast stuff seen on the piggy sites. I have been looking since I last posted here about this, I have searched through my favourites as I knew I had put it there............... it's gone, I have searched through my history........................it's gone but there is all the correx sites I went to there. I know I found a site selling them, it was a stationary one it had silver/chrome panels just like the ones BB and Kathy talked about on General Chat. Maybe I dreamt it all.............................ok please tell me I didn't coz if I did Im away to hide!
Will keep looking just incase it was real.

Angela

Iwant to make my pigs a cage like this
kidscage1.jpg

bluebunny said:
Iwant to make my pigs a cage like this
quote]
I want to make my Mr Piggy a bed like that too!
Rightyhoo it would seem that I wasn't dreaming and I am not losing the plot so the men in white can stand down now.
The Monarch panels are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay expensive. I did however find these guys, I have no idea how though https://secure2.xcalibre.co.uk/secure.shelvingdirect.co.uk/productdetails2.asp?page2=2277 I worked it out at 16 Panels a pack, so including VAT and delivery your just over £25. Next problem you'll have Marie is finding the correx/coroplast. I haven't found anyone online who sells 1 sheet on its own. Maybe you will have more luck trying local sign shops?
I need some of the correx to use for the base of some of the bunny beds, saves them ripping up cardboard at 2am!
Angela

Thumps said:
The Monarch panels are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay expensive. I did however find these guys

The Monarch ones work out to £1.50 a panel, the others to £1.25 a panel (both including VAT but excluding postage). Not a huge difference...

Helps if I stopped to work out the prices/panels etc. 25p difference isn't much at all. Will post piccies in a new thread for all to see!

Angela

The shelving direct one does come with more of the corner nodule thingies though. Relatively speaking. So it's a bit cheaper and a bit more flexible in terms of how you can arrange it, I'd think.

Re: Medium to large scale rabbit housing - construction plan

Andi said:
However, we'd like some sort of luxury accomodation for the little fuzzballs. We've had a good look at an awful lot of sites doing pre-made hutches, but I was wondering if anyone has done something similar and made it themselves?

In particular we'd be interested in construction plans which we could take away and apply wood and power tools to and end up with something that the rabbits will look at and think "Blimey" for at least a moment or two before proceeding to trash the entire thing.

Some sort of multi-storey affair would be good, I think. As I mentioned we have plenty of links to pre-made stuff but haven't done so well finding construction plans, so any help would be much appreciated.

Binky on!

Hi Andi

Your can find 'wendy house plans' on the famous auction site e-bay priced around £5.00. All you do is scale down these measurements to your aquired size.

Having said this, if you are housing your buns inside i would consider buying second hand kids plastic houses like 'little tykes country contage' you can pick them up in good condition second hand for around £10.00 plus they are easy to clean and have height which you will definately need for biiiiigggggg buns. some of these kids plastic houses have stable doors too. Kids plastic tunnels and tents are a thought as well, and if you dont mind the mess, a kids sandpit is ideal to fill with dirt so he/she can have a good old digging session :lol: some sant pits come with a lid so you bun has something to climb onto as well

Back