• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

male rabbit humps during bonding stage help

Bolt

Young Bun
So we took Kiwi to the vets today for her final checkup regards to her spay is fine and almost healed up, shes been spayed 2 weeks now and Bolt about 6 weeks ago.

We tryed to bond them today and are looking for advice, at first they didnt seem to mind each other, Kiwi tucked into the food bowl whilst Bolt sniffed her and walked about and sniffed her again. Prior to all this, both rabbits were in their seperate cage and are close to each other in the living room for 3 weeks.

Bolt started to hump her and he made this quiet grunting sound, he just kept at it, Kiwi's tail is a bit wet after that. Bolt then layed in the corner and relaxed whilst Kiwi just stood there.

After that, Bolt was at it again but this time Kiwi seems to be fed up and kept walking away.

He bite her fur once but it doesnt seem to ever end this humping so we stopped and put them back in the cage, we will try again tomorrow.

Any tips so far??

IMG_6466800x600.jpg

IMG_6470800x600.jpg

IMG_6473800x600.jpg

IMG_6478800x600.jpg

IMG_6486800x600.jpg

IMG_6490800x600.jpg

IMG_6463800x600.jpg

IMG_6465800x600.jpg

we tried to bond them again, this time Bolt didnt seem to want to mount her much, but when they were both in his cage, he keeps wanting to mount her.

i'm begining to think bolt may still have another testicle left as the vets only found one.

Any help please?!

thanks for reading

Humping, nipping and chasing is all very normal when bonding and they should be left to get on with it. It is part of their need to sort out their heirachy, it is not a sexual activity. The more you interfere with them when this happens the longer they take to settle down together.

Looking at the pictures you have posted, you would be better to reduce the space to approximately 4 x 2 foot and leave them in this for at least 48 hours and then slowly increase the space.

I assume that this space that you have placed them in is totaly neutral - a place where neither have been before as individual rabbits.

Please only pull one away if they are properly fighting, otherwise keep them together for ever from now on. You will need to supervise them constantly for at least 48 hours after you have put them together.

hi,

it seems bolt just keeps trying to hump Kiwi, they are in his cage but its been cleaned out and disenfected.

i suppose i'll have to let them just do whatever, they dont seem to be fighting, just Kiwi keeps running away from Bolt.

Shes goes about and eats and lays down fine, bolt just keeps tryin to mount her and smell her poop

If they are not fighting leave them to it, but do ensure that they are on neutral territory and do not have too much space.

humping-- when a little refuge from pestering is welcome

Our Netherland dwarf cross, neutered 6 years ago at age 3 still sometimes has spells of pestering his mate Rose mercilessly, by chasing and spraying constantly. We have a small plastic stool in their exercise area which is just rabbit sized, and Rose gets under this if he is really annoying her . So when recently they have had to come indoors together for convalescing if one is ill, I always bring the stool so Rose can get some peace if she wants. Usually they are fine togehter . He doesn't seem to hump, just chase and circle and spray. She was spayed about 5 years ago when we rescued her.

I tried to bond this established pair with a new young rescued male who had been done 6 months, and there was a lot of humping going on between the boys, jostling for dominance. It might have worked, however we stopped it because the bonded pair got symptoms of E cuniculi, and we treated them all with panacur but kept the new male a bit of a distance away to try to prevent him getting it if he didn't alrready carry it...
Good luck with the bonding. They don't necessarily stop humping just because they have been 'done.' Shebunkin

thought i'd update this post.

Both Kiwi and Bolt seems to be fine now and the bonding is done, there were in seperate cages for about 3-4 weeks next to each other.

On the weekend Kiwi slept in Bolts cage with him and there was no drama, they both look happy together when they cuddle up and grooming each other. Occassionally theres a little humping from Bolt but that seems to have reduced alot.

So only took 1 or 2 days of actual bonding they both living together happy!

thought i'd update this post.

Both Kiwi and Bolt seems to be fine now and the bonding is done, there were in seperate cages for about 3-4 weeks next to each other.

On the weekend Kiwi slept in Bolts cage with him and there was no drama, they both look happy together when they cuddle up and grooming each other. Occassionally theres a little humping from Bolt but that seems to have reduced alot.

So only took 1 or 2 days of actual bonding they both living together happy!

Even though they appear happy now, don't increase their space massively. Its still very early and the bond could break down if you introduce too much space too quickly :)

NB: this is from reading, not experience, i've never done a bond, but wanted to not read and run!

Yep agree with Graham. I had a very similar experience although the humping attempts were half hearted and Jessica my new doe always hopped away. I made the mistake of letting them run free together and although they continued to get on well i did have litter issues. She was weeing everywhere but Jasper (my buck) also started to wee outside his litter tray, although still in his cage. He is neutered and has been well behaved litter wise for a long time now. After posting on here i came to the conclusion that although they appeared bonded they still had territory issues to thrash out. I reduced their space dramatically and gradually gave them more and more. Now they have the run of my apartment again and everything seems fine :)

Also agree, reduce space slowly...you will more than likely still see some humping and chasing from time to time, perfectly normal.... leave them to it unless they're fighting. :D
Bolt wants to be the dominating one.
My trio still have their tiffs despite an easy bond.

Back