• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making the final move in bunny bonding....

I've finally had a breakthrough with the pair I've been trying to bond. My tried and tested method I had used before of regular bunny dating in a neutral space indoors until both were happy in each other's company to taking the plunge and putting them together in outside enclosure, failed with this pair.

They got on inside the house but then as soon as outside the female became really territorial and would constantly chase and pull fur from my male til he had large bare patches on his fur.

Anyway, they had a week apart, no dating and then I decided to try different method of moving them to mutual territory to live together rather than just bunny dating, in the hope this would strengthen the bond and be less likely to go wrong when I do put them back outdoors. For the last two days they have been moved into neutral space in the house, they hop around freely in the hallway then go in large indoor cage together at night or when I need to enclose them. Both constantly snuggling up, grooming, eating together etc. they appear like they've been together for ages.

So....the question is, how long til I take the plunge and put them in their permanent bunny house outside?i have totally lost confidence because it all seems to go wrong with this pair as soon as they are moved. However this is the first time I've shifted them to living completely indoors while I bond them rather than bunny dating.

They will be moved into a 7ft double hutch with permanent attached large run. When do I attempt to move them and do I give them access to all of it from the start or just part of it and gradually increase?it is brand new so neutral territory for both. I do have two other rabbits who live in same garden but they won't be visible from their new enclosure. I ideally want to move them ASAP as haven't really got the space indoors for it to be for too long plus I have two cats who I have to shut out of the hall when they are running free, but it am prepared to keep them inside long enough to hopefully increase it being successful when I move them.

Really scared of messing it up at this stage so would really appreciate some guidance.

Im not knowledgeable about bunny bonding but I know things usually have to be done slowly and carefully and id be inclined to keep things as they are for longer waiting for the bond to deepen more.As long as possible I would say.Sorry not too helpful or specific but that's what I would do.

Good luck.

i have just re-bonded mine, it's such a worry. but i put them straight into their forever home, which is the cattery.
i put everything in new. i sat and watched, they were great for 4 hours. later there was fur everywhere and a lot of chasing, him trying to mount her all the time. but that all died down and they are loved up now. this is day 2 together, he still occasionally chases her to mount her. i put lots of fresh greens all over the house ladder shed and that does take there mind off each other, when they were eating i would rub both their ears so that they thought they were being groomed by the other. don't know if this has helped. but good luck with your two.

I have read on here that you should wait until they have been together 48 hours with no chasing, humping, fur pulling, etc.

I was very cautious with my quad and kept them in their bonding pen for two weeks before moving them out to the shed.

I have read on here that you should wait until they have been together 48 hours with no chasing, humping, fur pulling, etc.

I was very cautious with my quad and kept them in their bonding pen for two weeks before moving them out to the shed.

Thanks for your replies so far, so grateful for help. I am finding this bond so tricky compared to all the others I have ever done!the chasing and fur pulling has started again. My female wants to desperately be friends and constantly wants to lay and lick him, but then I think he starts getting fed up with it all, so starts to thump feet and bolt into other side of enclosure and then she'll hop over and he'll bolt off again, then she'll get frustrating and start to chase or nip. Nightmare as always had it so easy in the past. This is only day 4 of second bonding attempt so I know early days but bunny dates went on for weeks prior to moving them inside for permanent living quarters til they were bonded and we keep getting set backs and don't seem any further forward than first meeting. This prob sounds really impatient but so tired as can hear them in the night and always in edge or running downstairs to check what's going on. Just not sure my male is ever going to warm to her! Wish they were outside in permanent living quarters as will have the worry of moving them again even if they do bond, but couldn't have them outside right now as just couldn't keep on eye on them like I can with them in the house. Never realised how lucky I was with all the other pairs I've bonded in the past, so easy compared to this.

Not sure if anyone will read this but if so, a little update, we are a week on indoors in neutral space, so far so good now. Hoping to be able to move them to final outdoor home soon, but won't rush anything til certain will be ok as just over the moon they've managed to live together for a week now inside and the chasing and fur pulling as almost completely stopped so it is looking good. They eat and cuddle up together all the time, the male still refuses to groom the female whereas she grooms him loads, but regardless they both seem happy and settled in each other's company. Definitely my most challenging bond yet but still probably nothing compared to some but think I must've been lucky to have it so easy in the past!

Good luck, I have no bonding experience as both of my pairs were bonded when we got them but things sound more positive now :)

It's always nice to hear updates, and I'm glad they seem to be getting used to be a pair! Hope the move goes smoothly when the time comes.

Back