• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Luna seems "unwell" - U/D, she's home & stoned

thank you for all your wishes, i'm having some time to rest (my back has given up) before getting ready to collect her very soon. I can't wait to have my little muffins home, its too odd not having them there!

she’s home, very spaced out and her eyes look popped out of her skull [emoji15]she doesn’t really move, just sits there. she can barely hop, wobbling all over the place. mostly shuffling.

I don’t think anesthesia and her are friends [emoji20]

she’s nibbling little bits, and took the recovery food well.

she’s very cold so I’m keeping her warm.

I feel bad, she looks so miserable but I know she’ll be okay.

Orion kept greeting everybody for attention, going in their pockets etc. he’s very needy. kept trying to take her recovery food too.

they weren’t sure if she peed/pooped yet, but she’s pooped on me and weed on the carpet so I think so!

poor little thing. she’s stoned [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I shouldn’t but I just wanna scoop her up and carry her with my everywhere.

she turned to ice and doesn’t move, and won’t use the heat pad, so i’ve bundled her up for a few moments.

a23acf970e0e36074a3ef3f6aa13049c.jpg

she’s turning her head away from the baby food, so I don’t think she’s hungry. she can have a gut stimulant around 8pm, ill syringe if she doesn’t take the food.

Bless her, I'm sure she'll be fine once it's out of her system. At least she's poo'd and weed, so that's good xxx

I hope she perks up a little bit soon.

I'm feeling pretty exhausted at the whole ordeal, mentally more than anything else. nobody else understands my concern. I would like to shower, but nobody wants to watch her. I don't feel comfortable leaving her "be" when she is so wobbly, gets cold so easily and just is so out of it. parents think I'm being too OTT and boyfriend doesn't share the same concern I guess, he just wants to do his own thing as he's exhausted from work. which is playing video games, so he's gone off to his room. I understand, he's tired, he works hard on the go all day as he had a physical job. but I'd just appreciated a bit of company and physical support :( I've slept three hours if that today.

I know I'm probably being OTT but she is my life line and I would kick myself if something happened. I was panicking about leaving for a few moments to get some recovery food made up and grab the baby food :(

she’s home, very spaced out and her eyes look popped out of her skull [emoji15]she doesn’t really move, just sits there. she can barely hop, wobbling all over the place. mostly shuffling.

My rabbit Snowy did that last time she had GA. It was horrible to watch as she just looked so fragile, but the next morning she was much better after the anaesthetic had worked its way out. Hope your little fluffy is back to her normal self soon x

Edit: Just seen your last post. I know it's hard but try and think of yourself too. GA can make some rabbits like that and they just need time to rest. Go for a shower and she can have a little time to rest on her own while you're gone :)

Last edited:

she’s nibbling little bits, and took the recovery food well.

she’s very cold so I’m keeping her warm.

I feel bad, she looks so miserable but I know she’ll be okay.

Orion kept greeting everybody for attention, going in their pockets etc. he’s very needy. kept trying to take her recovery food too.

they weren’t sure if she peed/pooped yet, but she’s pooped on me and weed on the carpet so I think so!

poor little thing. she’s stoned [emoji23]

BC - Vetergesic (Buprenorphine) makes a lot of rabbits appear 'stoned' and spaced out.

It should wear off after 8 hours. Some rabbits are more sensitive to it than others.

It's often used together with anaesthesia x

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...chniquesRabbit/MedetomidineKetamineRabbit.htm

https://www.vaajournal.org/article/S1467-2987(16)30575-X/fulltext

Last edited:
I have read about that MM, but I would have thought they would have mentioned it? they told me everything she's had, feeds to the emeprid injection.. would it say anywhere on the bill perhaps?

I really don't like how the drug is having read on it from this forum. I'd just prefer not having the added stress of a bun already sleepy from her ordeal today, to have that on top. we're looking at 10pm if it takes roughly 8 hours to wear off :?

she's due some emeprid at 8pm, how long does that take to work? I was just thinking if she doesn't eat within an hour or so after, to syringe some food into her. I don't want to load her too much too quick though.

I'll also give some infacol as an in case, it won't do any harm.

Your vets seems quite knowledgeable and they wouldn't of let them home. It must be the side effects of the GA. It's horrid to watch, our Charlie bear cane hone off his nut after an ear ablation surgery. Keep wrapped up and some nasty herbs/fave noms at the ready

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I took a shower, kevin was more than apologetic. we’re both very stressed.

she’s nibbling little bits here and there.. orion keeps pushing hay towards her. I think he’s trying to bring the food to her? it’s sweet either way.

she had her emeprid at 8:30pmish, as at 8pm she was nibbling some hay and I didn't want to bother her. so I took a shower instead in that time. she's not interested in the baby food or recovery food (Orion is :roll:). she's taking tiny bits, it seems like its exhausting her? she's moving around a tiny isny bit, she's sat by a box spaced out but keeps having a little nibble every now and again of it.

its like she forgets that she's here, and is daydreaming. snaps back into reality, nibbles box..fades out again. I do get worry she's cold but she won't go and use the heatpad and objects to blanket nests :(

I feel exhausted so I'm gonna sleep until 10:30pm (I hope) and review the situation then on how she's doing and if she needs possible feeding etc. a tiny power nap should help, I hope. I plan to get up early so I can spend the day with her and if anything is wrong, I can call first thing.

I took a shower, kevin was more than apologetic. we’re both very stressed.

she’s nibbling little bits here and there.. orion keeps pushing hay towards her. I think he’s trying to bring the food to her? it’s sweet either way.

she had her emeprid at 8:30pmish, as at 8pm she was nibbling some hay and I didn't want to bother her. so I took a shower instead in that time. she's not interested in the baby food or recovery food (Orion is :roll:). she's taking tiny bits, it seems like its exhausting her? she's moving around a tiny isny bit, she's sat by a box spaced out but keeps having a little nibble every now and again of it.

its like she forgets that she's here, and is daydreaming. snaps back into reality, nibbles box..fades out again. I do get worry she's cold but she won't go and use the heatpad and objects to blanket nests :(

I feel exhausted so I'm gonna sleep until 10:30pm (I hope) and review the situation then on how she's doing and if she needs possible feeding etc. a tiny power nap should help, I hope. I plan to get up early so I can spend the day with her and if anything is wrong, I can call first thing.
Sounds like all of mine after an op tbh, I think you're doing everything you can, and vetergesic would be on the bill if you've got the break down version.

I hope she sleeps it off and starts nomming more as she recovers xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sounds like all of mine after an op tbh, I think you're doing everything you can, and vetergesic would be on the bill if you've got the break down version.

I hope she sleeps it off and starts nomming more as she recovers xx

This :thumb: fingers crossed she feels better soon xx

Hope you manage to get some sleep, sounds like it's wearing off slowly, and good that she's nibbling. Sure she'll be fine by morning xxx

shes nibbling, but still refusing to eat any baby food or critical care by herself. I'm not happy as I don't think she's eaten enough really, so she's just had 15ml of critical care. its a tough call because the critical care will fill her up, but she also isn't eating too great for herself.

she just seems to "stop responding" lol. with hay, digging, grooming. she just stops and then seems to remember that she was doing something!

she likes the hay cookies, but ofc Orion is munching on those too, so I don't think she'll get much of them :(

I haven't been able to sleep, started retching. but she's a bit more full of life and less floppy/dead looking, so I'll probably sleep through until 6am if I can, and check in then. Kevin will check when he goes to sleep, so I think we're set. she's doing good and I don't have any concerns. I hope she is okay through the night.

sometimes having one bun is easier, nobody else to steal the food etc so you can leave it be lol!

theres no listed mention of vetergesic as I have an itemised bill. so I think she just has a bad reaction to the anaesthesia :? I know some buns seem to cope better than others. both of my boys have bounced back rather quickly, Orion you probably wouldn't have known had been in for an op. when she had her spay she was dreadful, so I think its much of the same now. she just doesn't mix well I guess.

I have read about that MM, but I would have thought they would have mentioned it? they told me everything she's had, feeds to the emeprid injection.. would it say anywhere on the bill perhaps?

I really don't like how the drug is having read on it from this forum. I'd just prefer not having the added stress of a bun already sleepy from her ordeal today, to have that on top. we're looking at 10pm if it takes roughly 8 hours to wear off :?

she's due some emeprid at 8pm, how long does that take to work? I was just thinking if she doesn't eat within an hour or so after, to syringe some food into her. I don't want to load her too much too quick though.

I'll also give some infacol as an in case, it won't do any harm.

I had this discussion with my vet, and apparently it's part of the anaesthesia protocol that she uses, so it's unavoidable.

It might not itemise that on the bill - it may just say 'Rabbit Dental' but you can ask them to look on the computer and find out for you.

Infacol is only ever a good thing :) Emeprid should begin working within 20/30 mins but you may have to wait a while to see any output.

so for their overnight feast they have..
16 fibre sticks broken up..theyre going soft anyhow due to being open so long :lol:
4 meadow hay cookies
1 entire bowl full of hay
2 handfuls of various forage
1 handful of various herbs etc

Orion has no idea where to start!

Luna did perk up and ate some forage, a throw of a hay cookie and some herbs. she has tried a fibre first stick too.

I hope the various bits available scattered everywhere, seriously everywhere you turn is food, it will encourage her to eat. she's nibbling at the moment, which is good.

her leg is very tender as she had an IV in it.. she's keeping it slightly up which won't do her any favours neither. she stretched it out and winced in pain poor girl. I shouldn't have, but I gave her 0.4ml of metacam just to hopefully take the edge off. she had her usual allowance of 0.8ml, but with it debated that rabbits go through it quicker.. I figure on this one off it won't hurt.

she had some infacol too as an in case.

and at this moment I'm off to try and get some sleep.. I figure she'll be ok through the night as she shows signs of progress slowly but surely and is nibbling. I've set 7 alarms to go in the morning to make sure I am up to check on her and feed her. and if she isn't okay, back to the vets it is.

shes nibbling, but still refusing to eat any baby food or critical care by herself. I'm not happy as I don't think she's eaten enough really, so she's just had 15ml of critical care. its a tough call because the critical care will fill her up, but she also isn't eating too great for herself.

she just seems to "stop responding" lol. with hay, digging, grooming. she just stops and then seems to remember that she was doing something!

she likes the hay cookies, but ofc Orion is munching on those too, so I don't think she'll get much of them :(

I haven't been able to sleep, started retching. but she's a bit more full of life and less floppy/dead looking, so I'll probably sleep through until 6am if I can, and check in then. Kevin will check when he goes to sleep, so I think we're set. she's doing good and I don't have any concerns. I hope she is okay through the night.

sometimes having one bun is easier, nobody else to steal the food etc so you can leave it be lol!

theres no listed mention of vetergesic as I have an itemised bill. so I think she just has a bad reaction to the anaesthesia :? I know some buns seem to cope better than others. both of my boys have bounced back rather quickly, Orion you probably wouldn't have known had been in for an op. when she had her spay she was dreadful, so I think its much of the same now. she just doesn't mix well I guess.
Awh I hope she picks up throughout the night, and yes have to agree with anaesthetic and effects varying - can honestly say Clementine was discharged within an hour of waking up both times she went under and by the time we was home it was like nothing had happened - yet Atticus fell apart [emoji38] Apricot and Penelope both reacted very differently too - so I think it's normal :) xx

I had this discussion with my vet, and apparently it's part of the anaesthesia protocol that she uses, so it's unavoidable.

It might not itemise that on the bill - it may just say 'Rabbit Dental' but you can ask them to look on the computer and find out for you.

Infacol is only ever a good thing :) Emeprid should begin working within 20/30 mins but you may have to wait a while to see any output.

alright, I will ask next time I see them/call to give an update. theres an itemised bill of the anaesthesia, dental, fluids, medication etc. so I would have thought it might be listed but its fair if not.

I was hoping it *might* increase her appetite and I'd see some more nibbling, but it hasn't seemed too sadly. I've given them plenty to eat over night and hopefully tempt her to eat some. she's having output of very small poops and they're very dark, so I can see they're hers.

she's currently in a Sphinx position, with her eyes shut and ears back, so I presume she's taking a nap. Orion is too.

I hope to open the bedroom door in the morning and to be greeted with my normal Luna :)

Back