• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump near spay wound? :(

Yea it's so difficult too I'm such a worrier when it comes to all the buns [emoji38] you did put my mind at rest a little tho so thank you :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I have a first class honours degree in stressing out about my Rabbits and Morse (Dog). Of course that makes me of even less use to them than I already am !!

Sending anti lumpy vibes for Lady P :love:

Yes saw Avon this morning, she's a really good vet :)

She felt the lump, didn't think it was a hernia. Then stuck a needle into the lump and sucked a load of red watery liquid out of it.. Penelope wasn't best pleased about that...

Anyway, lumps gone now, she's back on loxicom, got another appointment Thursday with Avon to check again, if it comes back in the meantime she said to bring her back and they'll do a scan.

I said on Saturday was the first time they'd both run around properly after the op, and then Saturday night I'd put them back in their hutch with attached run - Avon thinks she stretched too much or something and basically it was a pocket of fluid... But not infected? Not 100% sure what caused it, but they're both back inside now so gunna keep a close eye on it and Avon said to limit their space again just maybe til the end of the week xx

Glad you saw Avon :)

Having seen the lump on your photos (which I only caught this morning) it did seem to be some sort of cyst and I'm pleased Avon's drained it.

I hope it doesn't return. "Not to worry" vibes being sent from here :wave:

I have a first class honours degree in stressing out about my Rabbits and Morse (Dog). Of course that makes me of even less use to them than I already am !!

Sending anti lumpy vibes for Lady P :love:

[emoji38][emoji38]

Yea know the feeling!

And ah thanks :) x

Glad you saw Avon :)

Having seen the lump on your photos (which I only caught this morning) it did seem to be some sort of cyst and I'm pleased Avon's drained it.

I hope it doesn't return. "Not to worry" vibes being sent from here :wave:

Thank you :)

Also it's Ivone not Avon Idk why I keep doing that haha

Last edited:
I'm glad you got Penelope seen today and that the vet was not concerned. Hopefully now it's been drained it will stay away.

I'm glad you got Penelope seen today and that the vet was not concerned. Hopefully now it's been drained it will stay away.
Yea I really hope so, keeping a close eye on it, just hoping it stays away.. But at the same time there must have been a reason it formed... So why would it not again?

That's what I'm thinking anyway [emoji38][emoji51]

Thank you, I'll try and remember that! :)

Perhaps it was your autocorrect?
Sorry I wasn't correcting you! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] I think it may have been or I'm just losing it! [emoji38][emoji38]

So lumps back, appointment is this afternoon anyway.. Not really sure what this means.. Ivone said it wasnt infected... What would cause a build up of fluid like this? Anyone have any ideas?

Also I can feel a little hard lump, within the lump, which is concerning me a lot :(

So lumps back, appointment is this afternoon anyway.. Not really sure what this means.. Ivone said it wasnt infected... What would cause a build up of fluid like this? Anyone have any ideas?

Also I can feel a little hard lump, within the lump, which is concerning me a lot :(

Cysts often refill quickly after being aspirated, in fact they can fill up even more than they were in the first place. The harder area may be granulated tissue which again can be exacerbated by having a needle stuck in it. It could all settle down on it's own over a period of 2-3 weeks. Do try not to panic (yeh, I know, that's rich coming from me :oops:). You have great Vets on the case and I am sure they will give you the best advice, which may be to just 'watch and wait'.

A herniated spay is usually quite obvious to feel. But an U/S may be suggested. This can be done without a GA, Lady P will just need another shave of the fur from her tummy if it has already grown back a lot.

Sending vibes for her x

Cysts often refill quickly after being aspirated, in fact they can fill up even more than they were in the first place. The harder area may be granulated tissue which again can be exacerbated by having a needle stuck in it. It could all settle down on it's own over a period of 2-3 weeks. Do try not to panic (yeh, I know, that's rich coming from me :oops:). You have great Vets on the case and I am sure they will give you the best advice, which may be to just 'watch and wait'.

A herniated spay is usually quite obvious to feel. But an U/S may be suggested. This can be done without a GA, Lady P will just need another shave of the fur from her tummy if it has already grown back a lot.

Sending vibes for her x

Thanks Jane that's all really helpful :) also makes me feel a bit calmer as I was convinced the hard bit meant something bad.. Just gotta breath and see what they say in a bit I guess - ivone mentioned doing an U/S to be sure, but didn't think it had herniated, so I may just have that done also to make sure, but we'll see what she thinks first :) x

To be honest it doesn't surprise me, but I personally wouldn't be worried about it. If it's not infected and it's a blood filled cyst, then it should reabsorb after time. I use an excellent remedy that helps that along beautifully, but I am sure Ivonne will have her own suggestions.

Good luck at the vet!!

So she's on baytril too now, they sucked more liquid out, doesn't look infected.. But I think they just wanna be sure..? Idk. They're hoping it'll go away and that It could be the stitches. Worst case scenario they have to open her back up and change the stitches. But gunna see how she goes - trying not to worry!

So she's on baytril too now, they sucked more liquid out, doesn't look infected.. But I think they just wanna be sure..? Idk. They're hoping it'll go away and that It could be the stitches. Worst case scenario they have to open her back up and change the stitches. But gunna see how she goes - trying not to worry!

Sounds like a little haematoma. I hope all will be OK.
You've had enough scares with spays, haven't you? xx

Sounds like a little haematoma. I hope all will be OK.
You've had enough scares with spays, haven't you? xx
Yea honestly I never ever want a female bun that I have to get spayed again [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I'm with you there!

After I had my tiny ex-breeding mite spayed, I was sooo stressed!

Awh!

Yea I say all that but I've only had 2 male buns and 5 females now [emoji38][emoji38] I seem to fall for female buns apparently!

Awh!

Yea I say all that but I've only had 2 male buns and 5 females now [emoji38][emoji38] I seem to fall for female buns apparently!

Most of mine have come direct from Rescue Centres so are spayed/neutered and vaccinated.

Much less stressful ........ :)

Back