• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost bunny handed to me tonight.....He is now back home :-) 14/10 PICS ADDED! & Video

Hi guys! :wave:

Thanks for asking! :p

My little "Lodger" is ok....he still has not done any poops which is a worry. :? He has very very runny ceacs....and is still drinking alot.

Ive just taken him to the vets and he is not micro-chipped....they dont know how old he is, I could already tell he was not neutered. He was so scared he was shaking:( He is now back in his indoor cage and Ive left him to it with some fresh grass. he has eaten almost nothing...maybe one strand of grass and one SS pellet.

I bought some recovery from the vets so will try to syringe feed him later - I just want him to calm down first.

Im ringing some other vets to let them know Ive got a lost bunny...and thanks Basirascal - I will pop down to the local pet food shop and put a notice up.

Im concerned that as he is not neutered, has gorgeous markings..that he may be bred from - so am reluctant to put pictures up - Id rather the owner described him to me first.

So....am very tempted to put pics up on here...but will leave it a few days in case..

Any advice will be grateful regarding runny ceacs and not pooping.

he loves to jump over and snuggle under the hay...and re-arrange it...but has yet to actually eat it.

^^ I didn't put up any pics either or a description, because I was scared that just anyone would claim him. The rabbit we found was a beautiful harlequin lionhead cross. I just said that I had found a rabbit on this particular day, where I found him and that I was temporarily looking after him and if anyone needed more details to telephone me. This way I was able to ask them to describe the rabbit first before they saw it.;)

I was going to suggest porridge oats.
I never have any luck with recovery food so I usually soak pellets and purée them with a blender. You can do that with porridge oats cooked in water too.
The recovery food always build up pressure and then squirts out all over the bunny and stresses them out more. :roll:

thanks for this...I will try some soaked oats or pellets..thing is he is not eating them by himself...so I may have to syringe the foods....and it does keep getting stuck...:roll:

still no poops...:( its been almost 24 hours:( The vet didnt seem overly worried but said if he doesnt eat I must bring him back....well, hopingt o get some more food into him somehow ....he seems fine otherwise:?

A brilliant tip from Abbymarysmokey is to mix the recovery food with a baby food such as Ellas Kitchen Ive used the broccolli one before! It makes a much smoother paste and doesnt clog the syringe up! I hope the little man will be ok sending lots of vibes and hope he has a lovely owner who is desperately searching for him!

thanks for this...I will try some soaked oats or pellets..thing is he is not eating them by himself...so I may have to syringe the foods....and it does keep getting stuck...:roll:

still no poops...:( its been almost 24 hours:( The vet didnt seem overly worried but said if he doesnt eat I must bring him back....well, hopingt o get some more food into him somehow ....he seems fine otherwise:?

Syringe the puréed, soaked pellets, it's a bit easier and doesn't get clogged, but the recovery food had better stuff in it.
I always cook porridge with water and a bit of apple and banana and purée that. Then I syringe it when it's cool enough. It goes down really well. It's not a recovery food substitute but because the rabbit loves it so much it has really seemed to me to help get their guts moving again and they have eaten better afterwards.

Hi Chelle! :wave:

Hope you can get the litle one eating properly - I'm surprised the vet is so relaxed about it :? Any sign of the owners yet?

Well done for taking him in. I hope he settles down for you soon.

With the syringing problem I found it easier to grind my normal pellets in a grinder to a fine powder, and mix it with some Critical Care powder, watrer, and a teaspoon of pure apple baby food. My Joey was on syringe feed for three weeks and this worked like a dream.

Its also easier if you make the hole in the bottom of the syringe bigger. After you've cut the tip off use a sharp knife and run it around the hole to pare off a bit more plastic. Use a nail file or similar to make sure the edges are smooth (run it over your tongue to check) else bunny will end up with a sore mouth.

Fingers crossed for you!

thank you all so much for your support...and thanks for the great tips about syringing, using baby food, pureed oats and fruit....and for the tip about filing the end of the cut off syringe...I didnt think of that but luckily had not tried to use it yet.

Im printing off this info so i can have it on file for emergencies etc. thank you all!

Ive just come back from posting out posters...and I ran out! Every shop I went to said they would put it up....a few funny ones where I had to get permission...but I will make sure I go back to them when bunny is back home so they can take them down again.

The local pet food shop also gave me some muesli as I asked if she had any...and she didnt want to charge me! I had to pay the vet for a packet of recovery food!:roll:.....so first thing Ive done as soon as Ive walked through the door was give my "bunny lodger" some muesli...he was very interested and started munching straight away!:roll: Poor thing is starving and just doesnt know what Ive been trying to give him is actually food.....looks like a possible no-hay eater...:(

Im hoping we may have poops soon!

Where can I get some info on bunny facts? correct diets etc?

Im embarrassed to say - I should know this already....Id like to have this all ready for the owner when they come to collect him.;)

thank you all so much for your support...and thanks for the great tips about syringing, using baby food, pureed oats and fruit....and for the tip about filing the end of the cut off syringe...I didnt think of that but luckily had not tried to use it yet.

Im printing off this info so i can have it on file for emergencies etc. thank you all!

Ive just come back from posting out posters...and I ran out! Every shop I went to said they would put it up....a few funny ones where I had to get permission...but I will make sure I go back to them when bunny is back home so they can take them down again.

The local pet food shop also gave me some muesli as I asked if she had any...and she didnt want to charge me! I had to pay the vet for a packet of recovery food!:roll:.....so first thing Ive done as soon as Ive walked through the door was give my "bunny lodger" some muesli...he was very interested and started munching straight away!:roll: Poor thing is starving and just doesnt know what Ive been trying to give him is actually food.....looks like a possible no-hay eater...:(

Im hoping we may have poops soon!

Where can I get some info on bunny facts? correct diets etc?

Im embarrassed to say - I should know this already....Id like to have this all ready for the owner when they come to collect him.;)

At least he's eating something! Sounds like you're doing a great job, if one of mine went missing I'd be so relieved if someone like you found them :)

thankyou!!!:D:D:D

At least he's eating something! Sounds like you're doing a great job, if one of mine went missing I'd be so relieved if someone like you found them :)

aah thats reall kind...thankyou! :oops::D

I gave him a cuddle earlier and he kept hopin on and off my lap on the sofa and digging at the blanket and making snorting sounds...very cute....until he wee' all over me...:roll::lol:

Im just still waiting for poops...but he is eating and is perky and acting normal:)

Poor little bunny. In a way it may be best that he stays with you ;) At least he'll be well looked after!

I took in a stray bun a few weeks ago and it took the owner 3 days to come forward, I notified the local vets and rescue centres the moment I found him. I couldn't believe the owner took sdo long to come forward and it was a neighbours friend that told him I had the bun. The bloke came round with his 2 kids (who didn't seem particularly happy to be reunited with their bunny) and the owner picked the bunny up by his ears. I was absolutely horrified :evil: I wish I'd refused to let the poor bun go back with them now. I did shout at the bloke and tried to educate him on rabbit care (which he did seem to take on board).

Well done you for looking after this poor little guy - maybe you can start weaning him off the muesli and getting him onto some pellets and hay - so when/if his owner does come forward you can show them what his diet should be like ;)

Good luck with it all xxx

Hi all...sorry about not updating sooner...I kept sitting down to do it and then had to do something else!

I stayed up till 1:30 am waiting for bunny to poop and was rewarded with 3 tiny tiny poops! wahooooo! lol!

Then last night I was printing off all the info for bunny care that was linked to this thread and I got a call....it was from a young girl who had lost her bunny 2 days ago...lived a few houses down and he had escaped when free ranging in the garden....she thought he would not be back after 2 days missing and was so happy that he was close by! Its was because I put posters up and a friend told her! yeah!

Ive given her all the printed out info on buns...she was really lovely - she met my buns and of course Archie took hawthorn from her:love: She was abit astounded at the size of my buns as her was a neatherland dwarf...I explained about the dfiferent size breeds and diet etc.

The Bunnylodger is calleed Bugsy! He is an absolute sweety.....he is not much of a hay eater - I dont think he realises its proper food....Anyway - Bugsy's owner left with loads of info, some aubiose to try out instead of shavings, a load of SS pellets so she can start changing his feed over, info on where to buy feed etc from and info on vaccinations and neutering and also on a rescue to possibly get him a good hay eating friend. I think it would really help him to have a friend, I think he is quite lonely and of course needs to be neutered, but having a friend to show him to eat loads of hay would really benefit him. I explained about dental issues with non-hay eaters, boredom of not grazing through the day and how their teeth dont stop growing and of course that they eat their poop...:p

She has an apple tree in her garden so I told her to always leave a log or branch in for Bugsy to chew on and to store the apple leaves for winter and how to dry them. I also wrote her a list of easy to find forage food that she can introduce for extre fibre.

The owner was really lovely and as we live a few houses apart Ive offered to be of help if she ever needs any...she is alot younger than me - but Im really hoping she gets some financial help with sorting him out and getting him some company...he is an absolute sweety and deserves to have his needs met, have a good diet, feel better and have a friend!

Thanks again all for all your help and advice! Ive told the owner about RU and mayeb she will join too and we will get to see Bugseys journey! thanks again! yeah - he is safe back home now! :love::love::love:

yeah...Im sure she will..she was really interested and was glad to have some help with how to improve his diet etc....I'll text her to keep updated on Bugsy....hopefully I helped abit. :)

Im sure the owner will not mind I share him with you after all your help & advice...here he is and Im so pleased he is back home safe & sound...:p

The gorgeous bunny-lodger....Bugsey!

P1100432.jpg

P1100430.jpg

Unusual markings...well I thought so :)
P1100431.jpg

small video clip....clicky!

Isnt he just too cute! :p:love::love::love:

Back