• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

looking for wifey bun :( Feeeling like giving up

Photo-0006.jpg

The problem I can see with that is that the run doesn't look permanently attached. It looks like it's just placed in front of the open hutch. How is it secured?

my bun has only been in it of a nice warm day when I have been sat on top of it. As he hasnt been in it when I'm not there - I havent looked at attaching it - any ideas?

Hello :wave:

Without knowing everything about your set-up it is hard to say exactly how your really gorgeous bunny lives (you obviously love him very much) but from the piccie you might find it hard to get a rescue centre to let you rescue a bun. Most rescue centres have very high standards - 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch plus run space. Maybe if you were able to adapt the living quarters you might have a more positive response?

Also, lops are really cute but so are all bunnies. Mine chose me - Huppie came from a friend and Rambaldi was the least popular at his rescue centre. Why don't you be a bit more flexible with your choice of partner, the most important thing is that the bunnies are happy in a pair. Even if you find the pretty one you are after your bun might hate her, it happens :lol:

Good luck

Emma

but thats half the problem.
one rescue says thats ok - need to ammend afew things - I did - I got the ru - bunny proofed the kicthen
and then another erscue turns round and says I need to do something else
its a bit disheartening.

one rescue says thats ok - need to ammend afew things - I did - I got the ru - bunny proofed the kicthen
its a bit disheartening.

:wave: Different rescues have different ideas on how buns should be kept and what size cage they require. My local rescue doesn't bond rabbits or keep them together because the woman who runs it believes 2 rabbits kept together will eventually fight.

its not good when all you wantis a ffriend for your bun and to give a rabbit in need a home....
several times ive thouight - why bother!!

Very true! I had a real palaver getting Rambaldi. They do have different rules and sometimes rescue centres don't understand how you are going to keep your bunnies, in the end I wrote an essay and sent about 20 photos to make myself clear. It worked fine in the end and I have even been told I can foster now (hubby won't let me :cry:). Try writing it down very clearly like this, I am basing my notes on the fact that you seem to have a kitchen, hutch and non-secure run (it really would be worth while getting a secure run, although to be honest it might be cheaper to buy a shed :roll:):
- Hutch space
- Run space
- Kitchen space
- Length of time locked in hutch each day
- Length of time spent in kitchen each day
- Length of time in hutch/run combo each day
- Type and amount of food giving x times a day
- Cleaning rota
- Personality type of rabbit (this can help find a good match which is more important than their appearance, sorry, not what you want to hear I know)

Write it as clearly as you can and be completely honest - rescue centres always seem to know if you fib (if you only spend an hour with your bunnies a day say that, they don't mind if the bunnies have other buns as company and good enough run space).

I hope this helps, good luck!

Emma

Last edited:
:wave: Different rescues have different ideas on how buns should be kept and what size cage they require. My local rescue doesn't bond rabbits or keep them together because the woman who runs it believes 2 rabbits kept together will eventually fight.

:shock:

its not good when all you wantis a ffriend for your bun and to give a rabbit in need a home....

There are a few lady buns around not that far from you that are looking for a home I think its hard as you are looking for something quite specific

The problem is your story about what you do and don't have seems to be ever changing. You say you have an attached run but you don't. The point of rescues asking for an attached run is because your hutch is really too small for comfort and they need extra space to live in.

You have attached the run in a way that would make it safe for permanent use, which hasn't happened, therefore the rescues will not want to rehome to you with that set up.

its a bit disheartening.

This is why I think it's best to go to a rescue, find a bun that you like, find out what you need to do to meet their requirements, get going on making the changes you need, and stick with it until you get a bun from there. You could go round in circles forever trying to meet the requirements of different rescues.

I have to say though that I agree with Lucy - one of the usual minimum standards is a 6*2*2 hutch with at least 4 hours exercise per day...from what you've said there your bun doesn't get that, because the run is only used in nice weather when you are sat on top of it. The hutch does 'technically' meet the square footage of a 6*2*2 but the space is less 'useable' so some rescues don't like these, especially if used without a permanently attached run.

All of it is 'easily solveable' if you stick with having a dialogue with one rescue, and do genuinely make the changes that will make life better for both yours and a new wifey bun.

sorry that didnt seem to make sense
"You have attached the run in a way that would make it safe for permanent use, which hasn't happened, therefore the rescues will not want to rehome to you with that set up. "
Do you mean its not attached and thats why
My 'story' changes because different people I speak to ask me for different things.
Im happy to listen to advise but when everyone's advice is so different its very dificult to ahve any consistency.

Whiskey my male netured bun, lives predominantly in my kitchne free range, he has a 36" dog crate as a base which is never **** his litter tray toys and full kicthen which has now been proofed.

i'd like him to be outside when its sunny and warm which is why I got the hutch and run. Thsitle Hall before I got it , I was told that it would be fine for two buns with a run - now im told now that i have it - it isnt big enough. I got the run - size i was told it was ok. Hes raresly in the run when Im not there. I move it from the hutch to the grass so he can munch (its been too wet lately so so far this has only happened once.

When summer comes and its nice I would like him to be in hutch and run - so will be looking at securing run to hutch (if I can find out how)

I spend a few hours a day playing with whiskey and more at weekends. I dont like him alone which is why I wnat a friend for him.

Does the above make sense?

"You have attached the run in a way that would make it safe for permanent use, which hasn't happened, therefore the rescues will not want to rehome to you with that set up. "
My 'story' changes because different people I speak to ask me for different things.

I thought it all made sense. Rescues generally are asking for a permanently attached run, because the thistle hall on its own is not big enough...you said earlier in this thread that you have now permanently attached a run to your thistle hall...but later on you've said that it's not been properly attached because your bun only goes in it sometimes when you're sitting on it.

By permanently attached, rescues mean exactly that - attached in such a way that the rabbit/s will be safe to stay in it all the time...not just when you're sitting on it. At the moment, a fox could easily drag the run away from the hutch, or get a paw down the gap at the top (or a bun could get out the gap at the top!). So from a rescues point of view, it is simply a temporary structure until you find a way of getting it properly attached so that it is secure, gap-free, and foxproof :)

but for when the bun goes in when im not there it will be
how to I attach it so I can 'de attach' it?
All im asking for is how to rectify the problems you have raised

Im happy to listen to advise but when everyone's advice is so different its very dificult to ahve any consistency.

Whiskey my male netured bun, lives predominantly in my kitchne free range, he has a 36" dog crate as a base which is never **** his litter tray toys and full kicthen which has now been proofed.

i'd like him to be outside when its sunny and warm which is why I got the hutch and run. Thsitle Hall before I got it , I was told that it would be fine for two buns with a run - now im told now that i have it - it isnt big enough. I got the run - size i was told it was ok. Hes raresly in the run when Im not there. I move it from the hutch to the grass so he can munch (its been too wet lately so so far this has only happened once.

When summer comes and its nice I would like him to be in hutch and run - so will be looking at securing run to hutch (if I can find out how)

I spend a few hours a day playing with whiskey and more at weekends. I dont like him alone which is why I wnat a friend for him.

Does the above make sense?

No, not really. Uee my post (on the previous page) as a guide. Copy it and provide the measurements and length of time in each place. I was trying to be polite and subtle and I am really really sorry but I am just going to have to be a bit blunt and rude. I don't mean to be, I am trying to help. Your posts are very hard to understand. This recent one was much better because you took more care over spelling and punctuation. I know it sucks but being clear helps a lot with this type of thing.

Here is what you should do:
1) Write out very clearly, in bullet points, how you look after your bunny
2) Give up on the very specific idea about which bunny you want
3) Choose a rescue near you (maybe one on here), send them your new clear info (we can help check it if you want).
4) Ask their advice about your set-up
5) Change your set-up to meet their specific requirements
6) Take your bunny to the rescue centre for a bonding session - when you see your bunny with another, all thoughts about which type you want will vanish, I promise!

Sorry if this comes across as rude, blunt, patronising (or all of the above:oops:) but I - and everyone else posting here - just want to help you have another bunny to love in the best possible way.

Good luck

Emma

All rescues have different idea's this is what i found when looking into it ;) i have 2 dogs which was not a problem with some rescues but another rescue wanted me to take the dogs into the rescue centre to check them :? now i can understand this, but they are not a problem here at my house they actually look after floppy, but if i was to take my dogs a bunny rescue you think all these bunnys running around, in a strange place i cannot guarantee that my dogs are not going to react its a totally different atmosphere :( when i do bring another bunny in i will do it correctly over a period of 4-8 weeks like i have done with all my animals, i'm not one for just bringing them in and letting them get on with it i do it gradually which some rescues were fine with ;) my hutch is 4ft 9 by 3/4ft in a permanent run of 12ftx4ft some say thats fine others say the hutch is too small :? all very confusing if you ask me but when the time comes i will do whatever to make it right with the rescue i choose :? i think its a case of choosing a rescue and sticking with them and making the correct adjustments to their specs ;)

i think its a case of choosing a rescue and sticking with them and making the correct adjustments to their specs ;)

I agree, I think if you stick with one rescue you will find yourself less confused and frustrated. I know you have said you want a specific type of bun, but it's really best to let Whiskey choose. When I took my bun to a rescue to find a wife he only liked one girl, or should I say only one girl liked him, as he was a bit of a sex pest. Of course we chose her and as a result bonding was instant and stress-free (for us and the buns!) Good luck, and don't give up:)

but for when the bun goes in when im not there it will be

But the point is that it isn't at the moment...rescues can't rely on people's good intentions to do what they say they will, they need to see it already done first. Too many people say that they are going to do x, y or z and then never quite get round to it. Rescues have a responsibility to make sure that the rabbits in their care go to appropriate homes and the only way to ensure that is for the work to already be done before they let the buns go.

As for how to do it - I think the reason people haven't really answered that is because it's not hard to work out for yourself in all honesty. You have plenty of choices depending on what would work best for you.

For instance you could drill through the ends of the run through the hutch and screw large bolts (the type where you fix a nut on the end) through, two on each side (top and bottom) so that it can't be dragged away by a fox. You could then make a flip-top lid (securely
attached) so that you can get in and out and get the buns in and out.

Or you could get hasp and staples (if you don't know what they are, do a google search and you should find some pictures) again two on either side, top and bottom, attached with padlocks or carabinas, so that you can easily attach and detach the run.

Either way you also need to block off the hole above the run - exactly how to do this really depends on how the door goes back on it, although if the run is permanently attached and the door never closed, you could just permanently screw a solid piece of wood across the gap.

Back