• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

london excel show 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accept that not everyone agrees with breeding and showing and understand why, but I don't agree with when people talk "down" to them :roll:

I'm an honest person who doesn't beat around the bush :lol: or so I've been told :lol:

what a :censored: stupid argument :censored: sorry to put this so strongly but sometimes I sit here and steam comes out of my ears.... (not a pretty sight!)

I agree this forum is for everyone who loves rabbits but being a discussion forum we should be allowed to put forward our own opinions.

I do not hate breeders but strongly dislike the hobby you choose.

I do not agree with breeding but do admit some breeders are more responsible than others..ie homecheck, give out care sheets and keep in touch with new owners, etc..

However breeding bunnies to supply a garden centre and selling them on free ads is not responsible..
that is just my personal opinion which I hope I'm allowed to have.

Also I wouldn't agree to a rescue pet show as rabbits would not enjoy it..a lot of travelling ..., kept in a small box in a noisey room, being man handled by strangers for the sake of a rosette isn't a bunnies idea of fun:(

agree absolutely !! animals are not a comodity, nor a toy, they are living beings that have become in many cases reliant on the human race, we, as a collective have historically bred animals for our own gain. i do not know what the answers are to correct the situation however if i could have a wish it would be that no more pets are bred until there are homes for all who are currently homeless.

I wouldn't have kids and sell them into prostitution and neither would I let my animals have babies and sell them to make money - absolutely no difference to my mind.

I cannot understand how you can bring a life into this world and not cherish it, but just wave bye-bye without a qualm about its future for the next 10yrs.

I don't think bunlover was proposing a national show but rather something much more locally. I agree though that bunnies don't tend to take well to travel but I also heard of lots that don't seem to have affect from it.

I don't think it should be based around the same ideas as standard rabbit shows. Not sure there should be prizes and rosettes, it should be more like a get-together for bunny lovers but open to the public to spread the word about rescues. There don't need to be many rabbits there either, perhaps just a couple from local rescues or local people with rescue buns. The rest of the place could be made up of stalls, rabbit toys, good sized hutches even rabbit related crafts etc.

I don't think you should dismiss the idea so quickly... I realize that the idea of a "show" may sound bad, but if done correctly and ethically even on a small scale, chances are it would make the local papers and that can't be a bad thing.

the charity i work with runs two fun dog shows a year - we are trying to get more charities to attend with stalls etc to promote other causes. yep, bring stalls of info and offer advice - just no live buns please - if anyone is interested the next show is in Oct at Harry Mitchell Centre West Midlands, I don't have dates to hand but PM me if you are interested in having an educational presence, or even to sell produce (brik-a-brak etc) to raise money for your cause.

Attacking other members is not acceptable. If you don't want to read about breeding don't look at posts about it. If you don't want to read individual members posts - add them to your ignore list (via the user cp).

Anyone attacking other members will be given an infraction (warning), if you get several you will end up with a temporary ban.

Admin

all this aside can i ask one question do rescue centres ask for
money or a donation when they rehome anmals i know the rspca, dogs trust does

I believe so, how else would they be able to keep going? I'm not sure it's much and I think you are only asked to give as much as you can afford, although I think a general rule is £30 -£40 (correct me anyone if I'm wrong ;) ) it also helps to ensure that the bun is going to a home that is going to be able to afford the up keep costs of the rabbit.

Why do you ask?

Yes, they ask for a donation to help cover the cost of the work that's done on the animals but they need to fundraise as well to cover everything

Vaccination against VHD & Myxi costs £30
Neutering costs £30-60

Most rescues ask around £20-35 donation so no where near how much they spend on fixing the animal up.

well im sorry but isnt that the same as selling them?:shock:
your taking money for an animal so its a sale, i sell mine so the money goes into food, cages, bedding and toys so is it not very much the same?

well im sorry but isnt that the same as selling them?:shock:
your taking money for an animal so its a sale, i sell mine so the money goes into food, cages, bedding and toys so is it not very much the same?

No. Rescues take unwanted animals, look after them and re-home them. Its not the same as making a choice to bring a life into the world and then sell it on.

You need to buy food, bedding cages and toys because you have chosen to bring rabbits into this world, just as all rabbit owners do. Rescues take care of animals that are not their own and they were not responsible for their birth, they simply have the love and generosity to want to help abandoned animals and without funding they would no longer be able to do this. There are many animal charities that recieve no funding whatsoever who pay for neuter, vaccinations, and vet bills for sick animals out of their own pocket.

wats wrong with bring a life into this world and
making someone extremerly happy new pet:D

I was answering your question about the fact that you thought it was the same for a rescue centre to ask for a donation as it is for you to sell an animal. I have voiced my opinion on the more general matter earleir in the thread - please refer back.

i dont charge ppl i ask a dontations of £35 to help the up keep of the buns for the bedding, feed, worming, treats, veg, cages, vet care, showing fees ::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i dont charge ppl i ask a dontations of £35 to help the up keep of the buns for the bedding, feed, worming, treats, veg, cages, vet care, showing fees ::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you have missed the point.

When you breed an animal you're making a conscious decision to bring that life in to the world and taking responsibility for it.

A rescue accepts existing animals from those who can't or won't take responsibility for them.

A breeder creates a new animal a rescue a place existing animals pass through.

Being a rescue is not the same as selling animals - if it was, rescues would need pet shop licences.

ok i accept that. but im afraid i am going to continue breeding as i really do enjoy it, i feel espeacialy with the hares i am giving somthing bak to the breed because there is so few of them, this is going to be the first litter of hares im selling and there is quite alot of interest in them ppl are even coming down from up North because there just arent any around.
but any way i put this post up about the excel show to see if i would see any of you guys there not to defend myself sorry if you feel like that but if you have any of my buns handed into your centres let me know and i will come pick them up. :D

I don't have anything against responsible breeding :D

I didn't realise hares were quite that rare I think I've heard of about a half dozen going through rescues so far. Which isn't a lot compared to other breeds but still seems quite common if there are only a few breeders altogether.

Tam

well my hare is number 01008g05 and he was born in december so that year only maybe 1008 were born but becoz you have to order rings in a pack of 6 there might of been less. there 6 breeders of hares in the country (regestered) im the 7th, tan hares nobody seems to breed niether and its taking me so long to find that someones willing to part with almost 2yrs now so i cant wait:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back