• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little Percy update...

Percybunny

New Kit
A follow on from his vet appointment on Tuesday.

He's a bit difficult to hold so it wasn't particularly easy! He's the friendliest little rabbit but prefers people on his level not being held.
So firstly the vet took a sample of his hair to look for mites to explain his bald patch, this showed positive so we have some spray to use and hopefully he will be clear soon.
His eyes are much better anyway but they couldn't check his teeth really due to him being panicky and frightened so that's being done next week when he has a GA and is castrated with the hope of finding him a little friend for when he's alone during the day.
He's eating his hay still and I'm cutting down his hard feed to a more acceptable level.
All in all once next week is over and done with for the poor little chap life is on the up for Percy!

One question, Up until the weather got cold he lived outside in a double tier large hutch and was out on the grass in a run in the day. Now he's inside in a big indoor wire cage and has free run of a room as much as possible. He did have the whole upstairs but started spraying wee (for some reason he never wee's in this particular bedroom so is contained to that one now). Do you bring inside in winter? As a kid we never did but so many people told me I had too.

Do you bring inside in winter? As a kid we never did but so many people told me I had too.
I wouldn't have with Lopsy if he hadn't been ill. As long as you take the right precautions (especially giving them a friend) they should be fine outside 24/7/365!

Glad to hear he's doing alright: Lopsy went through the same mass-examination-season and he was fine afterwards XD Teeth under GA is a good thing!

I bring my two in at winter time, I always have, especially when it starts to freeze as they have drinking bowls rather than bottles. Whilst it is still nice outside they will be out during the day but brought in at night.
I guess everyone is different and not everyone will agree to do one thing or another. I am aware they have a winter coat and they will always have an abundance of straw in their bed but I still couldn't bear to leave them out in the cold. When they are in they have a large indoor run with carpet so they are very cosy, they have carpet outside though saying that (!), and they are allowed to go in the lounge and hallway.

Ok, Well I think he will go outside again when the weather warms up enough for it not to be a massive shock to his system. Next winter I will play be ear, we are moving house and will have a larger undercover car port type area which is very sheltered and can be used in some way.
Thanks

Back