• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Gracie ... recovering from blockage surgery

Just seen this and wanted to send her a million vibes. It's always difficult to judge when it's something more serious, especially when the only symptom is not eating! I usually give my buns about 2 hours to rally themselves and if not they go to the vets. I've been there with getting stuck on a hill in icy conditions. It wasn't fun and made worse by the fact that we had a poorly bun in the car...I had to double back and go a different way, wasting nearly 40 mins. Fortunately the bun was fine after the usual treatments.

Sorry, I missed this,, Hope all is going Okay for Gracie... Loads of vibes coming your way. Xxx

Thanks for the good wishes.

Gracie is doing well. She is quite bright and lively, she hasn't eaten for herself yet but that's not of undue concern, everything else about her is looking positive.

She probably won't be coming home for a day or two as she needs to be eating and pooping well and for them to be sure she is okay, given that her intestines needed a lot of handling etc.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Gracie is doing well. She is quite bright and lively, she hasn't eaten for herself yet but that's not of undue concern, everything else about her is looking positive.

She probably won't be coming home for a day or two as she needs to be eating and pooping well and for them to be sure she is okay, given that her intestines needed a lot of handling etc.

Oh wow that's tremendous news :D So pleased! Good luck for a speedy recovery at the vet and home soon :thumb:

Gracie is very bright today, she has pooped overnight but isn't eating for herself yet. She's staying in again.

Poor Gracie what a horrible ordeal. You don't realise how fragile a situation can become when they don't eat but good she was operated on so quickly. Sending millions of vibes Gracie is eating soon and back home fairly soon.

Thats great news . . we still have Willow with us who had gut surgery for a total blockage about 6 years ago!!! She was like a little football ad yet came back bright as anything after a couple of days.

You are an absolute hero :D it just shows that if a rabbit doesnt eat it can become an emergency very very quickly. Arthur has had a couple of times where he hasnt wanted to eat at a meal time. I always think to myself that I will allow him an hour, but both times he ate very quickly.

So glad Gracie is on the mend, hope she can come back home soon, and your journey to collect her is uneventful

xx

Thats great news . . we still have Willow with us who had gut surgery for a total blockage about 6 years ago!!! She was like a little football ad yet came back bright as anything after a couple of days.

That's great to know. It is over 2 years since Elijah had his too. There's always the worry about adhesions too, particularly as in Gracie's case the faecal pellet had to be eased carefully right along her intestines so there was a lot of handling. But the more times they do these surgeries the better they get at them and their ability to avoid/reduce the chance of adhesions. I'm so lucky I was at home with Gracie when it happened - she would have been like a football if had found her later. Fortunately the practice protocol is to x-ray on admission, which meant they picked up the signs early. I see my outdoor bunnies less frequently of course and if one of them got this at night .... doesn't bear thinking about.

Sending more vibes for her. I hope she starts eating soon but surely pooing is a very good sign? :)

A really good sign - I just hope they've got someone stood next to her taking them off her as she pops them out so that she can't eat the darn things! :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this. So glad to hear that Gracie is doing better. Just as well you acted so quickly.

Sending lots of vibes for her x

That's great to know. It is over 2 years since Elijah had his too. There's always the worry about adhesions too, particularly as in Gracie's case the faecal pellet had to be eased carefully right along her intestines so there was a lot of handling. But the more times they do these surgeries the better they get at them and their ability to avoid/reduce the chance of adhesions. I'm so lucky I was at home with Gracie when it happened - she would have been like a football if had found her later. Fortunately the practice protocol is to x-ray on admission, which meant they picked up the signs early. I see my outdoor bunnies less frequently of course and if one of them got this at night .... doesn't bear thinking about.

Sadly we just lost Lola Lovage to a gastric torsion that happened in the night. Even if she had been an indoors bun we would not have seen it in time as it must have happened after midnight - she was still doing the last poos when we found her - then nothing and she passed away an hour or so later at the vet in shock from the torsion.

Sadly we just lost Lola Lovage to a gastric torsion that happened in the night. Even if she had been an indoors bun we would not have seen it in time as it must have happened after midnight - she was still doing the last poos when we found her - then nothing and she passed away an hour or so later at the vet in shock from the torsion.

:( So incredibly sad that if it had just happened at a different time of day she may have stood a chance.

Back