• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray

Katev41

New Kit
Hi there I am new to this forum (and forums generally) but have had a gorgeous house rabbit for the last 8 years. Jingles is a female dwarf lop and is normally really well house trained. This summer however has been really tricky with her litter tray. She has two trays and is now not using either of them properly. She is constantly using areas around the sitting room and her own bed instead of her tray. Her litter trays are really clean. We have had some extra people in the house refitting a bathroom and I’m not sure if it’s the stress of this that has caused the problem but they left a week ago and the problem persists. Please can anyone suggest a way to persuade jingles back to using her litter trays? Thanks everyone

Welcome.

Given Jingles age its quite likely she has some arthritis which can make rabbits reluctant to jump in to their litter box. If this is the case there are options (I've used plastic dog beds & old carriers, others using potting trays) - nice & easy access. Its probably worth a vet check to assess her joints etc, just in case . Arthritis is really common in older bunnies. Of course it could be something else but if a different box (with low entrance) gets her back to good toilet habits then it would suggest she has.

It does sound like she's been a bit spooked by the workmen being there - lots of strange sounds and smells. Hopefully she will settle again, but you may have to go back to basics - maybe even restrict her range until she gets back into her usual routine.

Sometimes, I think a too-clean litter tray can be counter-productive. She may need a little reminder of what they are there for - so leave a small amount of used litter in to see if it makes a difference.

What is different with her bed area that she prefers that to the trays? Most rabbits like to eat and poo at the same time - so some hay in the tray and a supply of clean hay above the tray usually works.

J&B and Shimmer have already given you some great advice, but I was wondering if she's pooping or peeing outside of the litter tray, or both? Peeing outside of the litter tray could be bladder trouble, and pooping outside can be territorial, which would make sense after strange people have been in her space. If she's doing both, that does suggest that there could something going on with the litter trays themselves, like J&B mentioned, too. Have you changed the litter, or have been cleaning the trays with something new, or moved the litter trays, or any other changes that could make her not want to go there?

Back