• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training: poos!

Harriet

New Kit
Hi everyone,

My two mini lops (Trevor -1 year and Betty -9 months) are neutered/spayed and have good litter habbits in their hutch (its really spotless) but when they come in the house they poo everywhere! They still wee in their tray (thank goodness!) but loose all their good habbits with poos. I know a few around the place to mark their territory is normal, but this really is a lot more than that!! I keep picking them up and putting them in the tray, but doesn't seem to do any good.

Any ideas? Thanks,
Harriet x

I'm afraid it sounds like territorial markings. You're taking them out of their 'territory' and placing them in an unusual 'territory' - and so they are marking. I have one bunny who is EXACTLY the same but lives indoors and is territorial EVERYWHERE.

Ahhhhh...litter training!!!!! Can make or break a humans spirit! :roll:

Rolo (free-range house bun) is litter trained. Well, HIS idea of litter trained. Meaning he will wee in his tray at night when hes put to bed. And sometimes will hop back in during the day. But...left to his own devices would much rather wee in the bathroom!!!!!!! He poos about abit, usually on the sofa. (major battle of wills over who owns it, him or us!:evil:)

Somedays hes better than others. But he does tend to spread his poo about when Ive just cleaned up. Almost like he's trying to make it smell like him again.

I've got used to picking up the poo balls, its one of the joys of rabbit ownership. Drives hubby and kids up the wall though. But I'd rather pick up his poo than the mess the kids make!!!

Rach x

Thanks. I'm happy to pick them up, just wondered if there was any further training that might be possible, but it sounds as if I'm stuck with territorial buns! x

ihave managed to get my indoor bun to wee and do most poos in the tray(s) but i still get presents, sometimes none for hours, then about 20 in a minute! luckily i have a hard floor with mats on so just sweep them up :)

That's what they are like, I'll be watching TV and suddenly look down and the will be a huge pile of them! Funny bunnies! xx

Back