• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter box

Toffs and Pebbs

Warren Scout
Hi all

I've had my buns for about 2 years now and at first I didn't get a litter box but now I've decided I'd get one, well... At first I put it in their corner and they did their stuff then, I kept going up there and finding it tipped over and then, when I had made it harder to tip over, they moved where all their toilet corner was instead of going in the litter box. I don't know what to do, Ideas please and help.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope I normally put woodshavings and straw but will try now with hay.

Woodshavings aren't the best idea for rabbits, they're highly linked to respiratory problems. You could use megazorb though that can also be a bit dusty. Personally I love fitch. It was recommended by another member on here as one of my bunnies was suffering from a respiratory infection when I brought her home and the vet suspected allergies (which it turned out she didn't have in the end). It seems expensive but goes a long way, especially if it's just in the litter trays. Buying the big packs is a lot cheaper. I buy the 20kg one (this one: https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/fi...dding/fitch-pet-bedding-single-bale-20kg.html ), but then I have eight buns :p
Rabbits do love to eat hay while they use their litter tray. You can either put it straight in it or put some kind of hay rack just above/next to it. That way they can still access the hay but it keeps it clean. This works well with mine.

Are both bunnies neutered? Many rabbits don't litter train perfectly until they're neutered, though there are exceptions (several of mine did before their neuters/spays)
The other thing you can try is when they do their.. Business.. outside of the tray, scoop it and move it to the litter tray. They'll get the idea eventually ;) if you catch them using the litter tray you can praise them and give them a treat. When all else fails bunnies learn quickly if there's something like, say, a raisin involved :p

Woodshavings aren't the best idea for rabbits, they're highly linked to respiratory problems. You could use megazorb though that can also be a bit dusty. Personally I love fitch. It was recommended by another member on here as one of my bunnies was suffering from a respiratory infection when I brought her home and the vet suspected allergies (which it turned out she didn't have in the end). It seems expensive but goes a long way, especially if it's just in the litter trays. Buying the big packs is a lot cheaper. I buy the 20kg one (this one: https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/fi...dding/fitch-pet-bedding-single-bale-20kg.html ), but then I have eight buns :p
Rabbits do love to eat hay while they use their litter tray. You can either put it straight in it or put some kind of hay rack just above/next to it. That way they can still access the hay but it keeps it clean. This works well with mine.

Are both bunnies neutered? Many rabbits don't litter train perfectly until they're neutered, though there are exceptions (several of mine did before their neuters/spays)
The other thing you can try is when they do their.. Business.. outside of the tray, scoop it and move it to the litter tray. They'll get the idea eventually ;) if you catch them using the litter tray you can praise them and give them a treat. When all else fails bunnies learn quickly if there's something like, say, a raisin involved :p

Thanks I use woodshavings all over the hutch so is that a bad idea? I have two bunnies who are neutered and I will start using the moving their business inside of the litter tray thanks.

Robin doesn't have hay in his , he wouldn't go in and do his business when they was hay in it

Funny bunny

He just has savings newspaper and straw

is the tray large enough? i started off with those small corner ones, or small cat litter ones, and bisc and matt would wee over the edges or move them. they stopped that when i changed them to large under bed storage boxes (i got them from the range online) and garden potting trays work really well and come in lots of different sizes. i got those off ebay usually.

i also lined them with newspaper, fitch and then lots of hay :wave:

Thanks will invest in a bigger box and is woodhshavings ok for all around the hutch or should I switch to Fitch everywhere

Would a good size be this:
accd4b0ebcae406915fc90855391e24c.jpg

And would I put it here in the main part of the hutch:
0e9d1bd634e4774356af0f6c2195754b.jpg

Or in the bedroom where they poo and isn't mesh:
fb9554ec2cd019af21b2452722d33880.jpg

The underbed storage boxes make lovely big litter trays. I bought mine at Poundstretcher, 3 for £10. Some of my rabbits have 2 litter trays, a big one and a smaller one like you have. You can put them where you want to, perhaps where the rabbits do most of their toilet. Some rabbits become litter trained but some don't. These rabbits will use the litter trays but also go in other places as well. I wouldn't have rabbits directly on shavings but you could cover it with newspaper but better not to use it at all.

What do you all use for bedding as my mum said that the fitch suggested earlier on was to expensive

Newspaper straw and hay in three 32l underbed storage boxes for my group of four rabbits.

You can cut down on bedding needed and reduce costs by putting non slip vynil flooring down in the hutch, and just having newspaper and hay in the litter box. I use wood pellet cat litter. If you have bare floor apart from the litter box you will make it easier for the bunnies to learn how to use the box. Sweep up poops that they leave outside the litter box,and mop up any wee puddles and clean with water mixed with vinegar so that it doesn't smell of wee. The bigger the box the better, so they can both fit in it together. My bunny uses his as a bed too! You could get a big underbed storage box and use that as well as the box you have and put them wherever they seem to go to the toilet most.

You can cut down on bedding needed and reduce costs by putting non slip vynil flooring down in the hutch, and just having newspaper and hay in the litter box. I use wood pellet cat litter. If you have bare floor apart from the litter box you will make it easier for the bunnies to learn how to use the box. Sweep up poops that they leave outside the litter box,and mop up any wee puddles and clean with water mixed with vinegar so that it doesn't smell of wee. The bigger the box the better, so they can both fit in it together. My bunny uses his as a bed too! You could get a big underbed storage box and use that as well as the box you have and put them wherever they seem to go to the toilet most.

Hi Zoobec, so would you put the vinyl flooring all over the hutch, then for the mesh open part would you put hay as a bedding there and then would you for the bedroom (closed up area) put the litter box with newspaper and hay then straw for warmth where the box doesnt go. I wouldnt be able to mop up any puddles or anything but i would like to still keep hay and straw down for warmth and comfort at least. Would you put a lot of layers of newspaper in the litter box or only a few. Thanks for the ideas.

The problem is wherever there is hay then the rabbits will possibly use that as a toilet. Only put hay in the litter box. You will need quite a few layers of newspaper in the litter tray which, if they use it, will need redoing every day. Doing as Zoobec says should discourage the bunnies to toilet anywhere else except in the litter tray, as bunnies like to toilet on something soft. Rabbits will also sleep in their litter tray, this is ok.

The problem is wherever there is hay then the rabbits will possibly use that as a toilet. Only put hay in the litter box. You will need quite a few layers of newspaper in the litter tray which, if they use it, will need redoing every day. Doing as Zoobec says should discourage the bunnies to toilet anywhere else except in the litter tray, as bunnies like to toilet on something soft. Rabbits will also sleep in their litter tray, this is ok.

So would I put the vinyl down then a thin bit of straw everywhere apart from the litter box? In winter I would put more because of warmth.

Back