• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Limping on with Star to try and see our vet tomorrow. UD post 11, UD post 17

Twas a vet nurse. Normally they are awesome, but she told me off for this before.

Sounds like she's one of those 'stick to the book' type people. Take it with a pinch of salt. You spotted it when his behaviour changed. You contacted the vet. Sod them, they dont know ****.

And I quote

'Star had some quite long spurs on his teeth. You need to pick them up sooner so that they don't cause problems but you picked them up fairly early although earlier would have been better'. :roll:

Good, because the vet found Star had spurs 2 years ago and we have closely monitored them and him until he needed them done, so as not to do an unnecessary procedure. His behaviour changed noticeably yesterday (minus the excess cecals). Had yesterday not been a bank holiday, he would have been at the vets then, but he didn't count as an emergency because I have the stuff at home to deal with it and could perk him up.

:shock: I don't know what to say in reply to that other than it's a load of bull poop and not to take any notice.

You were already aware he had potential problems and you did get Star to the vet for a dental as soon as he showed signs of needing one (even if you'd taken him yesterday, they wouldn't have performed a dental I doubt, just kept him comfortable until this morning, which you managed to do perfectly well yourself). Apart from suddenly becoming psychic, I don't know what more you could have done.

And I quote

'Star had some quite long spurs on his teeth. You need to pick them up sooner so that they don't cause problems but you picked them up fairly early although earlier would have been better'. :roll:

Good, because the vet found Star had spurs 2 years ago and we have closely monitored them and him until he needed them done, so as not to do an unnecessary procedure. His behaviour changed noticeably yesterday (minus the excess cecals). Had yesterday not been a bank holiday, he would have been at the vets then, but he didn't count as an emergency because I have the stuff at home to deal with it and could perk him up.

Just awesome.

But, I can pick him up this afternoon after my home visit.

Patronising much :shock:

I don't personally see the need to do a dental as soon as spurs are present, unless they hinder eating or are damaging the inside of the mouth. But then I'm not a vet nurse :roll:

I'm glad he's ok though, that is the most important thing :)

Back