• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillian - advice please.

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
I dread coming on here and posting Lillian threads in health. I really do.
But here’s my latest woe. It’s been 5 weeks exactly since Lillian was last at the vet. 5 weeks. The vet rang me the other day - asked if we were ok:lol:
She’s been fine - no flare ups. Pooping and weeing. All good. So why the post?
Have just been stroking her - she is quite receptive to the occasional stroke, and as I ran my fingers down her back towards her rump, a huge clump of fur came off attached to the dried remains of skin. About the size of a 50p bit. Heck of a clump.
So I parted the fur and there’s this big squareish patch of now bald skin. Healed. Pink. Tiny bit of reminant of what was a scab. Skins a tad hard but if it’s been a wound then I can’t see any mark of injury ie bite.
The fact I’ve got this clump with dried skin means it’s obviously shed the fur and skin. But I’m lost as to how and what. She’s not shown any sign of heavy blood on the fur over the last week or so - or since we’ve been to vet.
I’m at a loss. I’m contemplating a vet trip just to get their opinion but with a healed wound, I’m not sure if they can elaborate. Am I missing something? There’s no other clumps coming off and nothing else obvious.
Any bun got any thoughts please?

Not sure if it applies to rabbits - though I see no reason why not - but I get this a lot with the ponies. Really dense coats, so you simply don't find wounds in the winter at all unless they are of the lifethreatening kind, but you do often find clumps of hair with attached dead skin that peel away to leave a bald patch, clearly long after the event.
It's always happened, I have no idea for certain what kind of injury would cause it but I imagine any bite, possibly a bruise, something like that could cause it. Given that you have the hair and skin attached, it's not something like ringworm. Unless there is a rabbity reason that someone else comes up with I'd be inclined not to panic, it will have most likely been a minor injury that has healed.

Before they had oral Baytril they injected it. If given sub q instead of im my rabbits got sterile abscess. Weeks later a patch of fur/skin came off like a mini toupee leaving a bald patch.
Could this be from some type of injections when she was ill?

Before they had oral Baytril they injected it. If given sub q instead of im my rabbits got sterile abscess. Weeks later a patch of fur/skin came off like a mini toupee leaving a bald patch.
Could this be from some type of injections when she was ill?

Ah- ha! BM you are a superstar. Yes this will be it. Although it was 5 weeks ago, they did give Lillian abx for possible secondary infection (injection) and I reckon the wound site is a good 2 weeks old.
Toupee you say? Yeah, I’d say I could use this clump of fur as a wig.
Thank you so much BM. Perfect advice. :love:

Can you post a picture

Yes jj - I will post later. Cant do just now as bit of a rough night for me. After the anxiety of having Lillian’s clump of fur, I got terrible upset tummy and headache and ended up on sofa for my few hours kip so I’m not going to get much chance before work to sort. Will post this evening when I get on my slaptop.

Ah- ha! BM you are a superstar. Yes this will be it. Although it was 5 weeks ago, they did give Lillian abx for possible secondary infection (injection) and I reckon the wound site is a good 2 weeks old.
Toupee you say? Yeah, I’d say I could use this clump of fur as a wig.
Thank you so much BM. Perfect advice. :love:
Jane is the superstar. I am the understudy of the understudy.
Glad it is healing nicely.

Thank you everybun for replying. I have attached the photo below - I hope Jane is able to make some detailed analysis of this. They are my man fingers - apologies for that. They should give some perspective of the size of the site. Luckily Lillian has a bit of floof that covers her now prominant bald spot. It looks pretty healthy and pink - a bit hard but that's just the skin healing I think.
So, observations anybun?
ROUFlDq.jpg
[/IMG]

It looks like a healing injection reaction, one given intramuscularly as it’s near her rump, rather than in her scruff where an intradermal injection is given.

Back