• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Licking Things

bunnykin

Young Bun
My bun is 4 years old and I've had him since March. He is neutered. In the last couple of days he seems to have started licking things and I haven't noticed him doing this before. I noticed him showing a lot of interest in my desk yesterday but thought he was just sniffing it very intently (all over - well, all the bits he can reach - I thought maybe he'd suddenly realised he could smell my little bun who died a year ago). This morning I was woken by a noise I did not recognise beside my bed - he was licking one of his wooden chew toys, licking it all over, but not chewing it. So far today I've noticed him licking toys in his toybox, then licking all around the legs of my desk and underneath the drawers where he can reach.

The only things that are different in his diet over the past couple of days are that he hasn't had any carrot tops and I did buy some plain mini shredding wheats (apparently nothing but shredded wheat - which he's had a few of, but certainly not a lot - are these OK for him to eat).

He's eating fine and seems happy and binkying, and clambering up furniture while keeping an eye on my reaction. I just wonder if anyone knows why he might be doing this licking?

I wouldnt feed my buns shredded wheat, but i have heard of some folk doing it.

My Kermit used to lick everything! I dont think there is anything wrong with it, just some buns get like that x

My bun is 4 years old and I've had him since March. He is neutered. In the last couple of days he seems to have started licking things and I haven't noticed him doing this before. I noticed him showing a lot of interest in my desk yesterday but thought he was just sniffing it very intently (all over - well, all the bits he can reach - I thought maybe he'd suddenly realised he could smell my little bun who died a year ago). This morning I was woken by a noise I did not recognise beside my bed - he was licking one of his wooden chew toys, licking it all over, but not chewing it. So far today I've noticed him licking toys in his toybox, then licking all around the legs of my desk and underneath the drawers where he can reach.

The only things that are different in his diet over the past couple of days are that he hasn't had any carrot tops and I did buy some plain mini shredding wheats (apparently nothing but shredded wheat - which he's had a few of, but certainly not a lot - are these OK for him to eat).

He's eating fine and seems happy and binkying, and clambering up furniture while keeping an eye on my reaction. I just wonder if anyone knows why he might be doing this licking?

My bun is exactly the same, he's a licky monster, sofas, floor, doors, walls, carpet, shoes, skin, everything and anything. I asked the vet when he had his jabs and he says his 2 buns are exactly the same, so i don't worry about it. Would be nice to know why though :)

Thanks for your responses. He hasn't actually done any licking today! I was more concerned because it had just seemed to suddenly start and he hadn't done any licking like that before.

I remember reading somewhere that house rabbits like to eat dust, so he's been doing some house cleaning for you! lol.

My doe started doing this a few months after I had her, she would lick the walls and the floor and the carpet and everywhere!

It could also be a sign of affection as your scent will be over everything, so it's like they are grooming you haha.

I remember reading somewhere that house rabbits like to eat dust, so he's been doing some house cleaning for you! lol.

Cor, I wish mine would!

I think it can be a sign of mites - don't quote me on that as I only vaguely remember reading it. I think equally it can be a sign of 'ah, I'm happy with life'.

Back