• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

legs / feet akimbo

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Boo often seems to have her feet all over the place, her front paw will rest on her back one for instance - though there are lots of variations. This photo shows another

EojyuSDl.jpg

Eddys feet always seem placed where you'd expect them to be.

Anyone noticed this with their buns? Does it mean anything? Is it an older bunny thing?

She has had the wonky toe thing going on for over a year now - i forget if thats an older bunny or an EC thing

Huh, I don't think I've ever seen a bunny sit like that before... I wonder if it's a balance thing, placing her feet like that? Or maybe it's just more comfortable... Like Pets mum, I wouldn't be surprised if it's an older bunny thing... I know the wonky toe thing is an older bunny thing. Both Casper and Sophie have a few wonky toes. Though I've also read that wonky toes can be the result of toes that were broken; apparently it's not uncommon for bunnies toe break their toe and not givea single hint that they're in pain, and then they just heal on their own, but often wonky. What a lovely photo of them both, by the way. :love:

Oh bless her, I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing it's an older bunny thing.

Thanks petsmum. I'm sure Mousey did similar. I can see me trawling through every thread in stories & photos now - see you all in a few months :lol:

Huh, I don't think I've ever seen a bunny sit like that before... I wonder if it's a balance thing, placing her feet like that? Or maybe it's just more comfortable... Like Pets mum, I wouldn't be surprised if it's an older bunny thing... I know the wonky toe thing is an older bunny thing. Both Casper and Sophie have a few wonky toes. Though I've also read that wonky toes can be the result of toes that were broken; apparently it's not uncommon for bunnies toe break their toe and not givea single hint that they're in pain, and then they just heal on their own, but often wonky. What a lovely photo of them both, by the way. :love:

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I may get her to the vets when Bob is off next month for a thorough check-up with my fave faraway vet. Maybe its time to get her EC status checked or started on honey drugs for arthritis? this is her only "symptom" I'm aware of though. I never knew that about bunnies breaking toes & them not saying anything & healing wonky. The brave little soldiers. Joey didn't really have wonky toes but he wasn't so big a jumper as Boo (thinking less opportunity for injury)

My bun Lilac sits like this, or variations of it, all the time. I've often thought it's a bit odd but now I see someone else does it! Lilac is about 7, to my knowledge she doesn't have arthritis and she doesn't show signs of mobility issues. Maybe it's just how some buns posture is?

My bun Lilac sits like this, or variations of it, all the time. I've often thought it's a bit odd but now I see someone else does it! Lilac is about 7, to my knowledge she doesn't have arthritis and she doesn't show signs of mobility issues. Maybe it's just how some buns posture is?

I'm reassured Lilac does it too - especially as she seems healthy otherwise! Boo does too though she slowed down when her eyes gave up completely so difficult to gauge

My Fiver had serious spinal issues that caused his feet and legs to lean to one side or other and much as a senior human being there would be positions he sat in that were clearly the only way he was comfortable but they looked the complete opposite.

How old is The Boo now? If you've stated her age and I've missed it, my apologies...it's still early morning before coffee for me here. :oops:

My Fiver had serious spinal issues that caused his feet and legs to lean to one side or other and much as a senior human being there would be positions he sat in that were clearly the only way he was comfortable but they looked the complete opposite.

How old is The Boo now? If you've stated her age and I've missed it, my apologies...it's still early morning before coffee for me here. :oops:

Hi MM. She was found wandering by the RSPCA so her age estimated by them to be 1-2 years (feels right) when we adopted her 2014, so 9 or 10. Poor Fiver :( were there other signs other than the wonkiness?

I think Tethra used to do a version of this. Also, I think I noticed your Joey doing something similar on one of his pics. I tried searching for Joey, but of course it brings up all of your posts because of your user name :roll:

I think Tethra used to do a version of this. Also, I think I noticed your Joey doing something similar on one of his pics. I tried searching for Joey, but of course it brings up all of your posts because of your user name :roll:

my search in photos ended early cos it was mainly woofs n cats but I looked through a few photos of my & yes saw Joey and Mouse doing it but nowhere near as much. Boo was doing it in photos 2019 - haven't looked further back yet

Hi MM. She was found wandering by the RSPCA so her age estimated by them to be 1-2 years (feels right) when we adopted her 2014, so 9 or 10. Poor Fiver :( were there other signs other than the wonkiness?
Well he was a minirex so he had pretty bad sore hocks that became difficult to control. He didn't hop well after awhile. It was long ago now so it's hard to remember. I'm not even certain I have any photos of him sitting wonky, but I can look back into his history.

Sadly, at some point he had some kind of incident with his lower back that caused a saddle thrombus (suspected) and his left rear leg lost it's blood supply. The rest of him was fine but with his poorly spine and a dead leg, making him a tripod wasn't an option and we had to let him go. :cry:

Well he was a minirex so he had pretty bad sore hocks that became difficult to control. He didn't hop well after awhile. It was long ago now so it's hard to remember. I'm not even certain I have any photos of him sitting wonky, but I can look back into his history.

Sadly, at some point he had some kind of incident with his lower back that caused a saddle thrombus (suspected) and his left rear leg lost it's blood supply. The rest of him was fine but with his poorly spine and a dead leg, making him a tripod wasn't an option and we had to let him go. :cry:

I remember now as you helped me out on the Joey leg amputation thread. Thanks for sharing your experience & hugs - I can tell it still hurts

I'm reassured Lilac does it too - especially as she seems healthy otherwise! Boo does too though she slowed down when her eyes gave up completely so difficult to gauge

This thread actually got me thinking last night that maybe Lilac isn't normal! But it's hard to know, she certainly doesn't outwardly show pain and she runs everywhere really quickly, like she's in a rush! Maybe it is age related for some buns. When Lilac sits like that her back looks really rounded, not sure if Boo does that too?

This thread actually got me thinking last night that maybe Lilac isn't normal! But it's hard to know, she certainly doesn't outwardly show pain and she runs everywhere really quickly, like she's in a rush! Maybe it is age related for some buns. When Lilac sits like that her back looks really rounded, not sure if Boo does that too?

been thinking the same about Boo! & now you mention it, I'm not sure she has normal rabbit posture
Going to look at photos from a while ago - I'll report back

Blossom does this but I think it's more due to her double joints.

When she meerkats up her feet cross.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I remember now as you helped me out on the Joey leg amputation thread. Thanks for sharing your experience & hugs - I can tell it still hurts

No worries. I just thought I should answer in case this is a spinal issue for Boo, or if she hasn't been the most mobile bunny I suppose it could be muscle wastage as it can be the same for us as we age. I don't think, despite having exercise pens, that Fiver ever really moved enough to keep himself fit, plus he had a bad start in life being the plaything for 4 rambunctious boys aged about 8 years old. He was returned to Petco and adopted out again to a place where he was kept in a dark basement pen and returned again. Then we found him.

Perhaps Boo is just aging, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your vet about it if it's really troubling you. I kind of wish I'd bugged my vet about Fiver more instead of just chalking it up to arthritis and thinking metacam would keep things level. But it's still sad to see our companions get older and frail. ((((((Huge hugs)))))) xxxxx

Back