• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Late moults u/d pic p12

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Chibbs seems to be having her post-winter moult now. She did have a spring moult, but nowhere near her usual shedding. Now, she's got a lovely 'kerb moult', her longer fur in 3"! She must have sweltered during that hot spell. Yesterday she was sat in such a position that the 'step' or 'kerb' of fur made it look like she was hatching out of an egg! We're pulling stuff out of her as fast as we can as much as she'll let us, and she's pretty good at letting us, even if she hates me (I pick her up twice a week to clean the fur in front of her eye). Barrie's having a bit of a moult too, he's tatty but doesn't like having it pulled out, which is frustrating because he gets (quite minor) surface mats all over his legs but he seems to be OK to deal with them himself.

They're both fine. Chibbs was doing 2' binkies the other day: not bad for a linohead cross who'll be 10 in Autumn. Barrie is still an idiot, but he's started cleaning Chibbs' eyes :love: He does it by sitting at 90 degrees to her, cleaning the eye closest to him and then leaning over her neck really awkwardly. He is not smart.

Anybun else having a late moult?

Last edited:
Chibbs seems to be having her post-winter moult now. She did have a spring moult, but nowhere near her usual shedding. Now, she's got a lovely 'kerb moult', her longer fur in 3"! She must have sweltered during that hot spell. Yesterday she was sat in such a position that the 'step' or 'kerb' of fur made it look like she was hatching out of an egg! We're pulling stuff out of her as fast as we can as much as she'll let us, and she's pretty good at letting us, even if she hates me (I pick her up twice a week to clean the fur in front of her eye). Barrie's having a bit of a moult too, he's tatty but doesn't like having it pulled out, which is frustrating because he gets (quite minor) surface mats all over his legs but he seems to be OK to deal with them himself.

They're both fine. Chibbs was doing 2' binkies the other day: not bad for a linohead cross who'll be 10 in Autumn. Barrie is still an idiot, but he's started cleaning Chibbs' eyes :love: He does it by sitting at 90 degrees to her, cleaning the eye closest to him and then leaning over her neck really awkwardly. He is not smart.

Anybun else having a late moult?

Pleased that both of your bunnies are fine :love:

Not so much a late moult, but an all summer long never stopping moult for my two here :)

Casper has just started really moulting. Like Chibbs, he moulted a bit in spring, but not much. Right now he's got tufts of fur sticking out all over him. It's good to hear that they're both doing fine. That's impressive that Chibbs is doing such big binkies at her age. :love: And that's so lovely that Barrie has started cleaning her eyes. :love: It sounds like he could be more practical about it, though. :lol:

Also, I don't know if it's true, considering so many people say it's okay, but the general opinion among Dutch bunny groomers is that pulling fur from moulting bunnies is a bad idea because not all the hairs will be completely loose yet, which can damage the skin and hair follicles, while brushing will only remove the hairs that are actually loose. I know some bunnies won't tolerate being brushed, though.

Dara and Aoife are coming to the end of a big moult. JJ had a big moult in June. Aoife is usually moulting all the time, heavily too. I usually have to groom her every day. But at the moment she isn’t moulting at all, her coat texture has also changed a lot, becoming very course. I suspect that’s due to her current illness.

Also, I don't know if it's true, considering so many people say it's okay, but the general opinion among Dutch bunny groomers is that pulling fur from moulting bunnies is a bad idea because not all the hairs will be completely loose yet, which can damage the skin and hair follicles, while brushing will only remove the hairs that are actually loose. I know some bunnies won't tolerate being brushed, though.
She ain't going to get it out without help ;P We had this with Lopsy. We're careful, it's very much a 'if it ain't coming, don't force it' approach, and Matt has a great 'back of fingers' technique which is really hard to describe but really gentle. I've tried brushing reluctant Barrie with one of my old hairbrushes (mostly soft bristles), but it seems harsher and isn't as effective :S

Dara and Aoife are coming to the end of a big moult. JJ had a big moult in June. Aoife is usually moulting all the time, heavily too. I usually have to groom her every day. But at the moment she isn’t moulting at all, her coat texture has also changed a lot, becoming very course. I suspect that’s due to her current illness.
Poor Aoife. Coat texture is a really good way of telling if something's off with them as well :(

She ain't going to get it out without help ;P We had this with Lopsy. We're careful, it's very much a 'if it ain't coming, don't force it' approach, and Matt has a great 'back of fingers' technique which is really hard to describe but really gentle. I've tried brushing reluctant Barrie with one of my old hairbrushes (mostly soft bristles), but it seems harsher and isn't as effective :S

Poor Aoife. Coat texture is a really good way of telling if something's off with them as well :(

Yes, hate it when their coat goes really course and dry :(

Oh, that sounds fine, then. :) I just thought I'd mention it!

I wanna see Chibbs' moult. Eddy is moulting. I was starting to worry about him maybe being poorly as his fur was dull & coarse, though his eyes are bright & he is certainly not acting like a poorly bunny. Then I realised he was moulting :lol: He's a difficult one to groom, not many brushes /combs touch him but the silicone / rubber things have some impact. I swear every rabbit I've had has needed a different grooming aid

I wanna see Chibbs' moult. Eddy is moulting. I was starting to worry about him maybe being poorly as his fur was dull & coarse, though his eyes are bright & he is certainly not acting like a poorly bunny. Then I realised he was moulting :lol: He's a difficult one to groom, not many brushes /combs touch him but the silicone / rubber things have some impact. I swear every rabbit I've had has needed a different grooming aid
I HAVE taken pictures, I just, ahh, need somewhere to host them, give me a few days :D

Barrie looks and feels a bit coarse too, but his face in shiny and the coarse patches are where I'd expect for a moult, if that makes sense XD The grooming gloves (rubber gloves with rubber hairs I suppose?) work really well on him :D

I HAVE taken pictures, I just, ahh, need somewhere to host them, give me a few days :D

Barrie looks and feels a bit coarse too, but his face in shiny and the coarse patches are where I'd expect for a moult, if that makes sense XD The grooming gloves (rubber gloves with rubber hairs I suppose?) work really well on him :D

excellent. look forward to seeing them

369173930_10105013097835548_4954789970588039663_n.jpg

'Leave me alone!' XD

awww so beautiful with her interesting agouti moult :love:
Being slightly paler than Lopsy's B&W it looks a lot less like a pigeon died somewhere in the garden (repeatedly) XD

Chibbs begrudgingly accepts your praise. Or begrudgingly accepts it off me, anyway :lol:

Rodney is also moulting terribly and really slowly.
OMG he looks like a, mmm, well-loved teddy bear XD Does he look really skinny at the top? Chibbs looks like she's a completely different rabbit on the moulted bit, there's nothing of her by comparison, she looks emaciated!

OMG he looks like a, mmm, well-loved teddy bear XD Does he look really skinny at the top? Chibbs looks like she's a completely different rabbit on the moulted bit, there's nothing of her by comparison, she looks emaciated!
That's a perfect description!

We were at the vets for vaccinations and she held him up and showed me the literal inches thick of fur left on his hips that I need to target with my brush!

Rodney so far disagrees with this notion that he may need assistance and avoids the brush and my hands constantly [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Back