• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kovu and Zazu...What to do for the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way I could house them close together is to section off part of the animal room which would make the room even smaller. So thats not really ideal at all,I did consider it at one point, maybe section off the space under the big guinea pig cage, but that would mean Zazu would only have about 4foot x 2foot space so thats no good.
Yes I was supposedto be getting a shed but due to money problems I cant afford it.

well people are going to run out of suggestions, just plopping them together could lead to more problems because if they have a BIG fight then they are unlikely to ever bond and their will be another bun in "the rescue system"

Unfortunately the way its going, Zazu may have to just end up in 'the rescue system' anyway as I cant keep 2 rabbits seperately for another possible 4months :(

well if that does happen then maybe wait until you have the money to get a wife for kovu.

if you go through a rescue then she will already be spayed and you can return her if the bond is unsuccessful.

i had a pot with Zola written on the side that i saved money in BEFORE i got him to make sure i had enough to neuter and vaccinate him before the bond, because 2 seperate french lops definately wouldnt have been possible

Well I'm afraid you shouldn't have taken him on..you were going to wait to get another bun when you had your shed.
Zazu looks as if he will pay the price for your impatience :(

and again..why do people expect others not to get so fed up with this kind of situation..I spend 7 days a week clearing up other people's "mistakes"..I am usually still dealing with rabbits at 11 pm each night..I do not get bank hoildays..even Christmas day I am working..

and here we are with someone who was advised to wait..who has got a rabbit without space or finances to care for it and now looks like they expect a rescue to take it as it is in their way..Good grief....

I get sooooo frustrated....and I know all other rescue workers feel the same...

Pass the trifle and make it a huge one....

Last edited:
I'm sorry but reading this you seem really irresponsible, what were your plans if Zazu was female? As "she" would have had hormones too....and may not have bonded with Kovu.
Dumping Zazu on a rescue is very unfair unless you are also handing over enough money to castrate and pay for his "keep".

When I rescued my last bun from gumtree (yes I know :rolleyes:) I knew the bond may have not been successful between her and Dusty and had enough space/time/money to keep them seperate if I needed to.

IF I do end up having to rehome Zazu then that will be the end of it, Kovu will remain a single house bun with human company. I will not be going to a rescue, or anywhere else, to get him a friend.

Well I'm afraid you shouldn't have taken him on..you were going to wait to get another bun when you had your shed.
Zazu looks as if he will pay the price for your impatience :(

and again..why do people expect others not to get so fed up with this kind of situation..I spend 7 days a week clearing up other people's "mistakes"..I am usually still dealing with rabbits at 11 pm each night..I do not get bank hoildays..even Christmas day I am working..

and here we are with someone who was advised to wait..who has got a rabbit without space or finances to care for it and now looks like they expect a rescue to take it as it is in their way..Good grief....

I get sooooo frustrated....and I know all other rescue workers feel the same...

Pass the trifle and make it a huge one....

Spot on.

HUGE trifle on its way x

Well I must say that to anyone who doesnt know the full situation, this does sound very irresponsible... and saying "Hes in my way now....." and "Just seems so much hassle!" is not coming across very well at all.

If you honestly cant afford neutering and vaccination now, how will you afford to pay for any injuries that could occur in a fight.... 2 males are probably the worst combination to have, and if you havent managed to set aside emergency funds by now, maybe you should seriously considering giving him up and not getting another bun, til space and finances have improved. Its a sad situation but one we can all learn by.

Would you like fishfingers with your trifle Jill.

your situation sounds like mine when i was working part time :? would it be possible for you to have maybe £10 a week put into a saving acount? i have a savings account which is basically money set aside for vet bills, hutches etc. its become extremely handy :) if your having money problems i wouldnt suggest you take on any of Buddabuns baby rats either :? by the sounds of it you are unable to promise any of your pets vet treatment if they need it at this moment in time.

I am fine when it comes to rats, I am experienced and have spent hundreds on them at the vets so dont bring that up please.

When I posted asking if 2 males would be ok together (once castrated yes) I was reassured that it would be fine...now people are saying that even once theyre castrated it might not work. So no wonder I'm getting it wrong...

IF I do end up having to rehome Zazu then that will be the end of it, Kovu will remain a single house bun with human company. I will not be going to a rescue, or anywhere else, to get him a friend.

Debs in all honesty, I think you should look into rehoming him if you can't afford him and don't have the room. I don't think 5ft x 2ft for the next 4 months is adequate at all. Unless you can give him a good few hours in another room or a run. It seems that you just got swept away with the excitement and didn't think things through which is a shame as it could have worked had it been planned better :D
If you get him neutered and vacc'd and they don't bond it won't be a waste of time as it will at least stop the new owner (if he has to be rehomed) from breeding from him in the future ;)
Maybe you have something you could sell to pay for the neuter?
Im having a clear out myself on ebay soon to pay for the building materials for my new runs that im using my overdraft for!
If thats not an option I think you should look at rehoming him through a suitable network such as on here or via a rescue that can help find him that perfect home, hopefully with a wife in the near future :D

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I am fine when it comes to rats, I am experienced and have spent hundreds on them at the vets so dont bring that up please.

i think her point was, that its not fair for the rats to be provided with the best possible care but not the buns and by taking on more rats you are taking money away from the buns.

with multiple pets the key is balance but yours seems to be tipped one way.

I didnt say they would do it, just said I wouldnt want to risk anything. I'm not a very trusting person as I have been let down by too many people! I'd rather keep my rabbits in my posession.

when bonding you can never be 100% sure that it will work so when someone does mention getting their rabbit a friend and going througha petshop/free ads for it i stress that they need to be prepared incase it doesnt work and if they dont have the room for 2 separate rabbits then dont get a 2nd one simple as.

what i dont understand is you would get your rats vet treatment but not Zazu? im confused if your having money problems surely you dont have a enough money for vet treatment for all you pets its not fair to just pick favroutes in my opinion. if your having priblems id suggest you decrease in animals instead of rehoming and getting more?

Maybe you have something you could sell to pay for the neuter?.

I've ran out of things to sell unfortunately. I owe about £400 to catalogue bills, aswell as paying off a loan plus other regular bills. And I only do 16hours a week. Now you can see why its so hard for me.

As much as I love Zazu I do own up and admit that I regret getting him. Hes a lovely gorgeous rabbit, much nicer in personality than Kovu, but the thing that makes me happy is at least I've given him a happy couple of months. I'm sure he was happy in his old home but he was in less than ideal accomdation!

I believe its a reasonable thing to bring up, if you can't afford the bun you wouldn't be able to afford treatment for the rats, it doesn't matter how experienced you are or how much you have spent in the past, we're talking about now.

Where's your nearest RSPCA? Try giving them a ring and ask if they are doing the neutering scheme. There's different policies in each branch, but many will send you a voucher even if you don't get benefits.

Not sure how much neutering costs in your area- but if it's quite reasonable like my vets at less than £35 you could be paying only £20 with a voucher (usually gives you around £15 off).

I'm afraid I do think it is your responsibilty to get Zazu neutered, whether you end up keeping him or not. If the bonding doesn't work then perhaps you could strike a deal with a rescue that you will swop him for a female to go with Kovu. Although they may not agree with the space you have...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back