• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kidney issues advice please

He's eating grass dandelions and green veg really well but won't touch hay or pellets.
He's pooing loads but really tiny and dark.
Vet has provisionally discharged him. But wants him eating pellets and hay obviously.
Tried doing pellets in water and readigrass and 3 types of hay.
He played out in the sun yesterday
Any advice appreciated thanks

Forgot to say he's on baytril 2ml a day. For a week. Panucur on order as the vets is expensive and they asked me to wait a few days to see how He Was before getting some

He's eating grass dandelions and green veg really well but won't touch hay or pellets.
He's pooing loads but really tiny and dark.
Vet has provisionally discharged him. But wants him eating pellets and hay obviously.
Tried doing pellets in water and readigrass and 3 types of hay.
He played out in the sun yesterday
Any advice appreciated thanks

Grass will be as beneficial as hay. I would make sure you don't overload his system with it too soon though if he's not used to having lots, in particular as it's new Spring grass and will be starting to get rich this time of the year. If he needs pellets to maintain his weight, I think you should start giving him top-up syringe feeds, either of pellets mixed with water or one of the recovery-type feeds.

It sounds as though he is doing well :love:

Good update. While more hay is desirable, make changes slowly to keep him eating so he does not get Gut stasis.
Sending more vibes.

Thank you so much. He's always eaten a bit of grass etc. I tend to grab a littke bit a couple of times a week. But i have increaaed it alot while he's been ill.
Good to know it's as beneficial as hay. I will try again with soft pellets today and if not I will syringe him when I can catch him lol. He's wise to the syringe now.
I'm scared of him stopping eating so don't want to just give him hay and pellets and say There you go. It's that or nothing in case he chooses nothing

When my boy got diagnosed with CRF he stopped eating hay & nuggets. I got so many types of hay, fibre first type sticks but he just won't go there. My vet was not at all surprised.
I started a thread about diet & renal failure & it was others experience that wet & fresh food was preferred. I agree with Omi about syringe feeding - excellent way to get fluids in to him which is really important. Lots of vibes for Stan xx

Thank you.
We are waiting for the insurance to pay then the vet wants to repeat his bloods.
The feeling is it was acute kidney failure due to going over the weekend waiting for a dental.
He is slightly quiet but played out on the patio yesterday and did a bit of weeding for me!
I have seen him drink once. I know that's not alot but the bowl is going down but the cats share it too! Despite having their own.
I'm wetting veg and grass etc.

Blooming bunnies eh!

I think rabbits sometimes know which foods to avoid when they have a problem and if he is eating lots of grass and a few Dandelions and veg I don't think he will go far wrong.

tonibun;7147240[B said:
]I think rabbits sometimes know which foods to avoid when they have a problem [/B]and if he is eating lots of grass and a few Dandelions and veg I don't think he will go far wrong.

I agree. When I reconciled myself to Rudey not eating hay being because hay wasn't right for him I felt a lot better. It is a pain feeding them at this time of year when forage is scarce. Brambles are easily available though & good for fibre / digestion.

When my boy got diagnosed with CRF he stopped eating hay & nuggets. I got so many types of hay, fibre first type sticks but he just won't go there. My vet was not at all surprised.
I started a thread about diet & renal failure & it was others experience that wet & fresh food was preferred. I agree with Omi about syringe feeding - excellent way to get fluids in to him which is really important. Lots of vibes for Stan xx

Please could you point me in the direction of the thread. Ive just given him 3ml of water, he wasnt impressed and has gone to thump in his box. Going to do a proper syringe feed in a bit. Really need his poo to be bigger than mouse droppings lol

I was told years ago if a Guinea Pig has a UTI then don't feed dried food, just give veg and grass.

Today hes had greens, celery and grass. Hes really enjoying the grass. I also buy a dried dandilion salad and hes had some of that. Hes eaten all day . His poo is slightly bigger and look a little less dried up. I got my hubby to come and look:oops:.
His litter tray has wood pellets then hay over the top and Ive checked and the wood pellets are wet so he has wee'd.

I wonder if the antibiotics are playing a part in how he feels/eats at the moment

Today hes had greens, celery and grass. Hes really enjoying the grass. I also buy a dried dandilion salad and hes had some of that. Hes eaten all day . His poo is slightly bigger and look a little less dried up. I got my hubby to come and look:oops:.
His litter tray has wood pellets then hay over the top and Ive checked and the wood pellets are wet so he has wee'd.

I wonder if the antibiotics are playing a part in how he feels/eats at the moment

They may be x

I am glad he is eating better today and his poos look better too. Your asking your husband to look at bunny poop made me smile. Now, I go one step beyond looking at the poo and attempt to determine the poo's consistency by crumbling it between my fingers. I did it at the vets and my vet offered me the use of the sink.
It is nice to hear he is making enough wee too.
I wish I could find dried dandelion salad. This week I had to go to three stores to locate some dandelion greens and the ones I finally found seem old.
Keep up the good work.

Back