• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping piggies and rabbits outside

Guineas are fine outside aslong as they are kept dry and away from draughs. Its the draught and damp that does them much more harm than the temperature itself. Mine are in an unused garage now but were fine when kept outdoors. I used plenty of extra bedding, snugglesafes and lots of silver loft insulation to cover the hutch. Also hutches were moved into the most sheltered part of the garden.

If you do bring piggies indoors remember to have your heating on a low temp permanently. If like me dou only have it on a few hours a day this can be as bad for the piggies as being outdoors because of the huge drop in temp.

The trio of buns are outdoor permanently and although they have a ice cosy hutch with thick cover, plenty of bedding and snugglesafes they rarely use it. They get huge winter coats. I have corrugated roofing on the run and windows on some of the sides to reduce wind/rain but I think I worry much more about the cold than they do. Aslong as they have each other to snuggle they are happy.

this is a good point. i have ours on constantly and it never drops under 15. :wave:

I don't know about temperatures but I know the rescue I support are building lots of sheds to bring the piggies and rabbits into them for winter.

Back