• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just been to vet. FAO snuffle buns U/D p25

I have posted on another thread asking about the recommended dose of Baytril per kilo. I think it may have got lost, as it was on an another thread, so I may start a separate one.

The reason I am asking is that when I went to Bristol with a poorly bunny several years ago, a vet said that often "vets" do not give a high enough dose of Baytril. The dose they gave of 3 mls, I believe gave my incurable poorly bunny an additional 2.5 years.

I went to the emergency vet a week ago and they gave 0.6 mls of Baytril to a different bunny. When I went to my own vet, she has given 2.5 ml, which seems such a big difference.

Could Baytril not be "working" in some cases, because the dose isnt high enough??????

I want to start a separate discussion on this.

I'm sure you're right Lorraine - interestingly I've just looked at the datasheet on NOAH and it says 5mg/kg TWICE a day although I thought it was now widely known that it works better if given once daily. So 5mg/kg twice a day is a dose of = 10mg/kg daily. I know plenty of vets who even give 2.5mg/kg as that is what some of the older small animal books seem to suggest.

From memory, Santa had 20mg/kg injected once daily when we tried it for her snuffles - although it was way down the list of antibiotics before we got to baytril, it was far from the first resort! I think (but don't quote me on it!) that 10-20mg/kg is generally accepted as being necessary to get a good response from baytril in many circumstances now, although obviously you'd expect the vet to be aware of the individual animal's needs and take a judgement call on doses too :)

My bunny vet usually prescribes Zithromax for respiratory infections (although if you've already done a C&S test then you'll know if Baytril is the best antibiotic for the infection). But Zithromax always worked extremely well in my old snuffle-bun.

ETA - we treated with Zithromax for at least 10 days at a time as well.

My bunny Barney had respiratory issues, he was originally on Baytril in drinking water, after a couple of weeks with no result we went onto syringe feeding. He was on this for 2 months and i dont think it had any effect. My vet said that he tries drinking water first as it works for some and some minor problems. Barney is now a long course of antibiotics (injected) for another problem and the noisy breathing finally went about about 6 weeks ago!

He was living with my Flopsy until Christmas and Flopsy has never got the snuffles.

UPDATE!

Barney went to the vets yesterday, we saw a different one this time. She said that he was responding well to the Baytril at 0.4ml so to keep him on it for another 7-10 days. She also said I dont have to put it in his water, as long as I make sure he takes all the dose. I put it on his pellets this morning - is this a good plan? I could syringe feed it but most likely he won't take it without adding it to carrot juice.

If I was to syringe feed would I need to use a new syringe every time?

She also said that she thinks it is unlikely that it is pasturella, as she would expect to see different symptoms by now, and that the discharge from his eyes is not right for pasturella and there's no discharge from the nose.

She quizzed me about his diet and said it sounds good but if his eyes dont stop running they will have to check his back teeth.

I asked about tests to see if it is pasturella and she said they could take some and send it to the lab to grow to see if it is, but that it isnt needed if he continues to respond well to baytril. Do you guys think I should get it done anyway or should I assume its a virus? I'm thinking from a bonding point of view here. She said she would be very surprised if it was pasturella but never say never. If I did get it done, can it be done after hes better or does it have to be done when hes ill? Would I have to stop medication for the test? I didnt think to ask these questions then :oops:

Santa, Jack's-Jane and Thumps all advised me to press for a test to be done for Widget as she has been snuffly for some time. So I would get the test done. Mine have just been tested and the results so far are that its shown positive for pseudomonas in Sprocket but not in Widget, but the samples are still being cultured. You would have to finish your course of baytril before getting it done and your bun would need to be off the meds for a few days before it's done.

Santa, Jack's-Jane and Thumps all advised me to press for a test to be done for Widget as she has been snuffly for some time. So I would get the test done. Mine have just been tested and the results so far are that its shown positive for pseudomonas in Sprocket but not in Widget, but the samples are still being cultured. You would have to finish your course of baytril before getting it done and your bun would need to be off the meds for a few days before it's done.

oh okay, thanks, so they can do the tests even when they're not ill? How did they do the tests exactly, were you there? Just curious.

Its only £30 so I guess not much to pay for peace of mind, even though its the first issue he's had.

Back