• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just back from the new vets and ......

:wave: could somebody tell me what scruffing is please :oops:

Grabbing them by the fur on their neck. I've never seen it done, I've always been allowed to hold my rabbits while at the vets and any vet who made me not to, for a routine examination at least, I'd struggle to trust.

I've never seen a vet who's tranced either bunny.

I can imagine there may be instances where it might be necessary to do it very briefly with a very feisty rabbit - I wouldn't expect the vet to then advise the owner to do it daily and tickle their tummies at the same time though, as it's not something they would enjoy at all.

One vet I saw scruffed Alfie once and I think it can be a very secure way of holding them, provided the rabbit is supported under the bum with the other hand. The bunny shouldn't be dangling by the scruff. I felt far safer with this vet than the one who tried to hold Alfie 'normally' and was then wrestling him like a slippery sausage when he tried to make a run for it. :shock:

:shock::shock::shock::shock: thats terrible!

I held my buns in the carrier (top off) while they had their jabs, they werent even handled by the vet.

poor bun :(

My vet is incredibly gentle with my two and cradles them so she can check their bums but has never tranced or scruffed. She talks really gently to them too.

I'd bypass this vet for non-emergencies in future.

I've had some horror stories with vets examining my bunnies too, no trancing though. I have had one scruff Artie and dangled him, I could tell he was distressed and said I thought it was hurting him. When he was put in the carrier he banged his foot and it bled :cry::cry: I've had Tink (very fiesty) had a thick towel thrown over her and I was supposed to get a grip of her through the towel - I just had to pin her to the table, I didn't even know which end the head was at, it was a nightmare - this vet won't be handling any of my rabbits again :evil: Both of these caused me huge anxiety about future trips but I've just had to call it a learning experience, basically find another vet if you're not happy. Specify which vet you want to see when you find one you are happy with.

:shock::shock::shock::shock: thats terrible!

I held my buns in the carrier (top off) while they had their jabs, they werent even handled by the vet.

poor bun :(

Did you buns have a health check though? It's important that the vets gives them a health check before vaccination.

I would at minimum expect them to use a stethoscope to listen to their heart, they usually feel their abdomen, look in their eyes and ears, check their bottom, if they haven't been seen for a while wrap them in a towel and look at their teeth with an otoscope.

Oh no not good :( I changed from my normal vets for a short time as they were a bit cheaper bit they were clueless and misdiagnosed Alice when she had developed cancer :(

I returned to my normal vet shortly afterward and I will never go back. She's incredibly rabbit savvy and even told me about some online bunny cpd courses she has recently done whilst on maternity leave, which only a handful of other vets worldwide have completed - even then she was shocked at some other vets practices re: rabbits.

Moral of the story - stick with what you know. I have complete confidence in my vet to know what's she is doing and talking about. Trancing and scruffing is a no no IMO. My vet does the towel wrapping to check teeth and buns are fine.

Sorry you've had a horrible experience. Would you consider writing a letter to them, perhaps with the leaflet from another vet someone mentioned earlier about how trancing is bad?

Did you buns have a health check though? It's important that the vets gives them a health check before vaccination.

I would at minimum expect them to use a stethoscope to listen to their heart, they usually feel their abdomen, look in their eyes and ears, check their bottom, if they haven't been seen for a while wrap them in a towel and look at their teeth with an otoscope.

:thumb:

Back