• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just a quick pets at home question

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
While I was away I went into a pets at home just because I am nosey and wanted to look, and the rabbits all had ok sized enclosures with plenty of hay and toys and werent kept with piggies.

I was thinking ok they dont look too bad, then I went round the corner and saw a rabbit in their adoption scheme thing, but it was in really small cage thingy. I dont know how to describe it, like the kind they have hamsers in shops but obviously a bit bigger. But still I think my rats cage was bigger than the space this poor rabbit had.

It was a big rabbit, bigger than my Buu and she isnt small or anything and all it had in their was like them plastic igloo type things you get for bunnies, but there was no way this rabbit would have been able to even get its head in there so it couldnt hide, and you could see it was petrified because he was squashing himself up right against the back and hiding his head behind the igloo thing :?

Are all the shops the same, because I would have thought the bunnies in their adoption scheme would should have the same as the ones they are selling :?

And who do I complain too, just their head office or am I best complaining straight to that branch? I did say something at the time but the girl who served me wasnt actually listening to me :?

Sorry forgot to mention, he did have hay, pellets and water x

If you dont know the address of the local branch then complain to head office. I think the branch details will be on their website

You can email them; I know some people have had sucess this way, I didn't tho. They just emailed me back and told me the RSPCA were happy with their stock levels which didn't even answer my query anyway :rolleyes: Am awaiting a further reply

I know what branch it was so I will send a complaint to them and a copy to the head office I think, just wasnt sure if I could mention which one it is on here :oops: I just wondered if it was the same in all the stores x

You can email them; I know some people have had sucess this way, I didn't tho. They just emailed me back and told me the RSPCA were happy with their stock levels which didn't even answer my query anyway :rolleyes: Am awaiting a further reply

So they dont really do much about complaints :? Its not like I can even go back and check if they do say they are doing anything

So they dont really do much about complaints :? Its not like I can even go back and check if they do say they are doing anything

I can't say they don't. I emailed because my store had moved them from a secluded corner with large runs to central position with tiny runs and put rabbits in with guineas.

The reply email said "Further to your e mail; I am sorry to hear about your recent experiences when visiting our Solihull store. I have passed on your concerns to the Store Manager, Area Manager and retail development team to investigate.

The Store Manager would like to express that animal welfare does come first and he, along with his Area Manager, are in contact with the development team to rectify this situation. However, he would like to assure you that the stocking densities have been reduced since the animals were removed from the aviaries and the RSPCA and local council are aware of the current set up and happy with the stocking amendments."

I emailed them back and said this wasn't what I had voiced concerns about but would appreciate a full report on what the " Store Manager, Area Manager and retail development team" investigations uncovered! :D

Sounds like the reply I got when I complained about the size of the adoption part of the store (as well as other issues) Our local store the cages are pretty much the same, they are like the hamster cages but bigger, but not big enough!

The adoption cages are tiny in my local store too - i was in there today & there was a chinchilla in a small glass tank with just his food,water & sandbath. Nothing to hide in or play with :(

From what I read the adoption centres are now being made bigger (there's a picture of one in another thread about P@H) not sure if it's for the ones already with adoption areas or new stores/new fittings.

Unfortunally there's no where else to put the animals for adoption except those tanks or out the back and it's less likely the animals will find a home if they don't see them. There were two large buns in my local store, but couldn't be put out together because the tanks were too small and they didn't want to split them, so were transfurred to another store with the bigger pens.

I think if some stores dont have the space they just shouldnt have the adoption scheme then :? They could easily just give customers details of the nearest rescue. I dont see much point in moving the buns they are selling into nice enclosures and then filling the tiny cages they used to be in with more buns :?

They would be better off out the back anyways if it allowed them to have more space because the poor bun I saw couldnt take more than one hop and he had to turn around again :(

I can't say they don't. I emailed because my store had moved them from a secluded corner with large runs to central position with tiny runs and put rabbits in with guineas.

The reply email said "Further to your e mail; I am sorry to hear about your recent experiences when visiting our Solihull store. I have passed on your concerns to the Store Manager, Area Manager and retail development team to investigate.

The Store Manager would like to express that animal welfare does come first and he, along with his Area Manager, are in contact with the development team to rectify this situation. However, he would like to assure you that the stocking densities have been reduced since the animals were removed from the aviaries and the RSPCA and local council are aware of the current set up and happy with the stocking amendments."

I emailed them back and said this wasn't what I had voiced concerns about but would appreciate a full report on what the " Store Manager, Area Manager and retail development team" investigations uncovered!

They read your complaint then :roll: :lol: Hope you get a reply

Its the same at our local P@H
The bunnies for sale had lots of room and were running around with room to play and toys etc
When we found flower she was in a cage with no toys etc and although it was scrupulously clean she wasnt able to exercise at all and just sat cowering in the corner watching the world go by.

She now spends most of her time in her run lolloping around:D

Its the same at our local P@H
The bunnies for sale had lots of room and were running around with room to play and toys etc
When we found flower she was in a cage with no toys etc and although it was scrupulously clean she wasnt able to exercise at all and just sat cowering in the corner watching the world go by.

She now spends most of her time in her run lolloping around:D

Aww glad she has a lovely new home :D I was actually stood in the shop for about half an hour going oh I cant leave him here, but I couldnt take him and then be unable to get him home with me :(

Awwwww!

I do feel terrible now :( Even my mum was like is there any way of arranging to bring him with us now :( And we do have space at home he could have been a free range housebun til we got him a friend. Poor boy x

My local P@H is the same, they had a huge giant in a pen for SALE but he had bright lights and was overheating.

I complained to the RSPCA and after 2 calls she was moved to another store.. yes I did find out which one and checked on her there too. Her conditions were much better she had fresh air and looked alot more happy!

I love but hate going into P@H. I always look at the adoption board but I cant take any more in :O( but I regulary go in there to check on the buns and their conditons.. I sound obsessive now :oops:

My local P@H is the same, they had a huge giant in a pen for SALE but he had bright lights and was overheating.

I complained to the RSPCA and after 2 calls she was moved to another store.. yes I did find out which one and checked on her there too. Her conditions were much better she had fresh air and looked alot more happy!

I love but hate going into P@H. I always look at the adoption board but I cant take any more in :O( but I regulary go in there to check on the buns and their conditons.. I sound obsessive now :oops:

I do that with the pet shops here, I never buy anything and all the staff are always watching me :oops:

We have a brand new P@H store in Ashford and i am really impressed with them! All of the bunnies are in huge enclosures and not kept with Guinea pigs etc. They all have plenty of food and heaps of hay and plenty of water and toys and hiding places etc. All the rat and hamster cages are plenty big enough and they have toys etc to keep them entertained!
The adoption housing is also very sufficient. Rabbits are kept in HUGE enclosures again with plenty of food water and hay and toys and hiding places etc. Also if any of the animals become ill whilst at the shop they are automatically taken to the nearest vets for treatment (i have witnessed this myself) Overall i am VERY impressed with my P@H and its only 5 mins away from me by car so thats where i go for all my pet goodies etc!

I have heard a lot of bad things about pets at home, at the back of my local store there is a river, and apparently they chuck any dead animals in there. Thats only what i heard though, i don't know if its true. The rabbits do have a lovely enclosure. It has improved a lot recently.

I hope that's not true - its illegal!!
My P@H also has tiny adoption cages - small wooden boxes with glass fronts and usually nowhere to hide and often with rabbits in so big that they could barely move more than one hop :roll:

I bought my first rabbit from P at H. Whilst I love her to bits I really wish I'd got one from a rescue centre. She had quite a big enclosure with toys etc but since then the store has had a change around and moved the rabbits into the centre of the store. One of the runs has a perspex front and is quite enclosed, making it rather warm. A little bit worrying.

Back