• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Josie Has Myxi UD p99 :)

Thanks guys. Typically, she'd perked up and eaten all her pellets and forage by the time we left for the vet. The vet thinks it's just the strain of fighting the myxi for a week and a half. I can up her Metacam dose and give some probiotics.

Maybe she has some nodules in her mouth ?

Wish I'd seen that before I left! Is that possible? I could try soaking some pellets. Actually, the last few pellets were soft, as I put them in the bowl with the wet fresh forage while I was sweeping and she scoffed the lot. Josie could usually win awards for her hay eating, so it makes sense that her mouth could feel sore.

Glad she has taken some food Helen, they have a habit of perking up just before the vet visit don't they? I think you may have to threaten her with the vet more regularly ;)

Hope you are OK :wave:

Really sorry she's had a set back but hopefully it's just a temporary one...

Sending vibes.... :wave:

Josie was back at the vets yesterday. Her eye is worse :cry: It seems there's a nodule inside her eye. The eye itself is now swollen, with a white cloudy bit and blood. She has eye drops, but I think she's completely blind in that eye and may lose it. The vet said it may burst, but she's not well enough to have it removed, so we just have to wait and see.

She'd finished the Baytril, so she's now on a course of Septrin. She's been choosing new areas in her pen to use as litter areas, I guess that's a combination of not being able to smell and see properly to find her litter tray. She's still eating, drinking, pooing and weeing properly, but it helps if I put the food right under her mouth.

And this is 'mild' myxi in a vaccinated bun :cry: She only has three large nodules and a few smaller ones under her fur. Her breathing and lungs are luckily still fine. She's still on Metacam twice a day and probiotics. She's still fighting.

Josie was back at the vets yesterday. Her eye is worse :cry: It seems there's a nodule inside her eye. The eye itself is now swollen, with a white cloudy bit and blood. She has eye drops, but I think she's completely blind in that eye and may lose it. The vet said it may burst, but she's not well enough to have it removed, so we just have to wait and see.

She'd finished the Baytril, so she's now on a course of Septrin. She's been choosing new areas in her pen to use as litter areas, I guess that's a combination of not being able to smell and see properly to find her litter tray. She's still eating, drinking, pooing and weeing properly, but it helps if I put the food right under her mouth.

And this is 'mild' myxi in a vaccinated bun :cry: She only has three large nodules and a few smaller ones under her fur. Her breathing and lungs are luckily still fine. She's still on Metacam twice a day and probiotics. She's still fighting.

Bless her. I highly recommend celluvisc for her eyes. It is very 'pure' and a fantastic soothing lubricant which can be used several times a day. You can buy it OTC from pharmacies and I really would give the Vet a call to see if she is happy for Josie to have them

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/Celluvisc-1-wv-Eye-Drops-Single-Dose-Containers-30.html

Bless her. I highly recommend celluvisc for her eyes. It is very 'pure' and a fantastic soothing lubricant which can be used several times a day. You can buy it OTC from pharmacies and I really would give the Vet a call to see if she is happy for Josie to have them

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/Celluvisc-1-wv-Eye-Drops-Single-Dose-Containers-30.html

Thanks. She's on Fucithalmic twice a day. Would you use the Celluvisc as well as the Fucithalmic or instead of?

Strange that she doesn't have the classic myxi swelling around the eyes. I haven't heard of myxi affecting the eyeball in this way, but the vet has seen it before.

Thanks. She's on Fucithalmic twice a day. Would you use the Celluvisc as well as the Fucithalmic or instead of?

Strange that she doesn't have the classic myxi swelling around the eyes. I haven't heard of myxi affecting the eyeball in this way, but the vet has seen it before.

You use it aswell as Fucithlmic if the Vet gives the OK :)

You use it aswell as Fucithlmic if the Vet gives the OK :)

Thanks. I've left a message with the nurse to ask the vet when he's free.

Here's a little video of Josie today, bouncing about and grooming my foot! :shock::lol:

And some pics...

Good eye
JosieMyxi3b.jpg

JosieMyxi5b.jpg

Bad eye
JosieMyxi4b.jpg

JosieMyxi7b.jpg

JosieMyxi6b.jpg

JosieMyxi8b.jpg

JosieMyxi9b.jpg

JosieMyxi10b.jpg

Flopped under the dining table. (There's a Snugglesafe under the orange flower thing)

JosieMyxi11b.jpg

Back