• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jaspers Thymoma Update P81

nkariuz

Warren Scout
Last week while undergoing routine health check at the Vets I mentioned that I thought Jasper eyes were slightly bulging in last few days. As a black bunny I never normally see the whites of his eyes and had began to notice them.

Initially the vets thought it might be a heart issue so they whisked them off for an Ekg test, blood pressure test eat.... but his heart was fine.

So yesterday I brought him back to vets for a Ct scan which showed a large chest mass and after night stay at the vets today he got a a biopsy during an ultrasound.

So it seems he has a Thymoma and after discussing it with the vets and major chest surgery ruled out as the odds are not good.

Radiation therapy seems a lot better option, so Jasper is booked in next week for a 1-2 week stay at the vets for 6 sessions of radiation.

Has anyone ones bun been through this ?

Here is a pic of my plucky little guy who is now in a major sulk hiding under the bed and mysty who is also sulking as she is keeping jasper company in all his vets visits.

Last edited:
No experience but sending you and Jasper vibes.

I'm hoping the radiotherapy works well , and maybe his girlfriend can stay with him?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks, will pass on the vibes.

Yes mysty will be staying with jasper through everything as they are never apart.

What a gorgeous couple :love: Sending loads of vibes for his radiation therapy. I'm sorry I have no experience of this, but I really hope the radiation gives good results. Well done to Mysty as well for standing by her man.

Last week while undergoing routine health check at the Vets I mentioned that I thought Jasper eyes were slightly bulging in last few days. As a black bunny I never normally see the whites of his eyes and had began to notice them.

Initially the vets thought it might be a heart issue so they whisked them off for an Ekg test, blood pressure test eat.... but his heart was fine.

So yesterday I brought him back to vets for a Ct scan which showed a large chest mass and after night stay at the vets today he got a a biopsy during an ultrasound.

So it seems he has a Thymoma and after discussing it with the vets and major chest surgery ruled out as the odds are not good.

Radiation therapy seems a lot better option, so Jasper is booked in next week for a 1-2 week stay at the vets for 6 sessions of radiation.

Has anyone ones bun been through this ?

Here is a pic of my plucky little guy who is now in a major sulk hiding under the bed and mysty who is also sulking as she is keeping jasper company in all his vets visits.

What a gorgeous pair of bunnies :wave:

I'm so sorry to hear of Jasper's thymoma. There's some info here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ioration-how-does-it-happen&highlight=THYMOMA

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...y-Chemotherapy-Radiotherapy&highlight=thymoma

I take it you are happy and trust your vet? As of course this is paramount with something that's not so common in rabbits.

I wish you all the very best of luck with this xx

Thanks for the links MightyMax.

I am very happy with my vets. I use the Royal **** Vet University just outside Edinburgh. The staff there are excellent.

They just finished treating a rabbit with radiation therapy and after 6 months he is doing great. So fingers crossed.

I found this excellent article on a rabbit going through radiation therapy ( some cows.com/Thymoma/ ) this plus other reading and consultation with vets seems to be the right course of action.

In the above article, Neoplasene is mentioned has any tried it with their rabbits and what were the results?

Jasper had his first round of radiation therapy this afternoon.

The vet just called me to let me know it went well and Jasper was hopping about and getting syringe fed.

He will also get some medication for bacteria infections and some pain relief as well.

He will be kept separate from Mysty until they are sure he is passing poo and eating and then they be reunited.

Depending how the mass and Jasper respond the vet says anything between 4 - 6 treatments and will take about 2 weeks.

It is weird after having house bunnies and being so used to they being about. House feels empty.

The vet just called me to let me know it went well and Jasper was hopping about and getting syringe fed.

He will also get some medication for bacteria infections and some pain relief as well.

He will be kept separate from Mysty until they are sure he is passing poo and eating and then they be reunited.

Depending how the mass and Jasper respond the vet says anything between 4 - 6 treatments and will take about 2 weeks.

It is weird after having house bunnies and being so used to they being about. House feels empty.

I am glad Jasper is coping well with it. When does he come home?

Yes I know that empty house feeling - very weird ..

I hope that the Radiotherapy gives some reduction in the size of the mass and that Jasper will continue to cope OK with the ongoing treatment. Hopefully both Jasper and Mysty will be home soon.

The vet expects the timescale to between 1-3 weeks stay at vets.

I dropped the off yesterday.

The Royal **** vets has a no visit policy but the vet said I might be able to visit 1 - 2 times a week to see my bunnies.

The Royal **** vets has a no visit policy but the vet said I might be able to visit 1 - 2 times a week to see my bunnies.

Aaaww poor darlings - you'll miss them terribly :love:

I really hope you get to see them. Can you take them goodies such as fresh herbs? I did that when one of mine was staying in for a while

I hope you can as I am sure you are missing them alot x

So he'll have all the relevant treatment during that time, and when he comes home you'll know a bit more about his future prognosis maybe?

When i sneak in the building to see them will take them some tasty treats.

They said the treatment is very fluid depending how the mass reacts and Jasper, so it might be radiation therapy and that's it or maybe surgery after to remove mass. but will know more in a week or two.

The estimated cost is somewhere between £3000 - £4000 for one course of treatment and I am hoping Pet plan insurance will stump up to the maximum £2000 and i will have to pay the rest.

Between broken bone 6 years ago, a lump removal from side last year and then this, he is fast becoming a very expensive bunny !!!

But when he hops on to the bed at 4am and starts licking my eye to tell me its time to get up feed him breakfast its all worth it !!!!

When i sneak in the building to see them will take them some tasty treats.

They said the treatment is very fluid depending how the mass reacts and Jasper, so it might be radiation therapy and that's it or maybe surgery after to remove mass. but will know more in a week or two.

The estimated cost is somewhere between £3000 - £4000 for one course of treatment and I am hoping Pet plan insurance will stump up to the maximum £2000 and i will have to pay the rest.

Between broken bone 6 years ago, a lump removal from side last year and then this, he is fast becoming a very expensive bunny !!!

But when he hops on to the bed at 4am and starts licking my eye to tell me its time to get up feed him breakfast its all worth it !!!!

Oh my goodness he's put you (and himself) through the mill, hasn't he? Bless him :love:

That's an awful lot of money. I really hope your insurance will cover as much of the cost as possible xx

Today was a rest day between treatments and the vets were nice enough to allow me to visit.

Even after one treatment there was a difference in Jaspers head and less eye bulging. They kept Jasper and Mysty apart last night to watch for eating and droppings but although Jasper seemed ok Mysty was a bit stressed out missing Jasper and stopped eating, but when reunited this morning Mysty was back to normal.

Here is a pic of Jasper today.

Today was a rest day between treatments and the vets were nice enough to allow me to visit.

Even after one treatment there was a difference in Jaspers head and less eye bulging. They kept Jasper and Mysty apart last night to watch for eating and droppings but although Jasper seemed ok Mysty was a bit stressed out missing Jasper and stopped eating, but when reunited this morning Mysty was back to normal.

Bless him, what a brave little chap :love:

I am glad that he seems to be coping well and hopefully Misty is happier now she's back with her friend xx

Oh how lovely :love:

Thank you for posting that photo.

I'm glad Mysty is reunited with her beau. It makes all the difference I find :D

I hope the treatment works well for him and will be interesting to follow. Good luck Jasper xxx

Our experience of thymoma in Homer was very short as it grew rapidly.

Back