• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've saved a family of rabbits from certain death and not sure what to do next!

Jent

New Kit
Hi everyone! I've been on this forum for a long time but never really posted as havent needed to. I myself have one male indoor rabbit, panda, who is soon to be 7.

Anyway! I have paid £10 to rescue a mummy, daddy and 6 baby rabbits - it's a long and distressing story so I'm not going to go into it again, I can't bare it!! Babies are 9 weeks old and dad has now been castrated - him and mum fight so they are separated!

Babies and mum are on the lean side so I want to build them up before trying to rehome them.

So I suppose what I'm asking is:
When do babies need to come away from mum?
When do boys and girls need separating? I read it was 3 months but wanted to check.
Should I vaccinate all the babies before rehoming?
Should I ask a small amount of money to be sure people are serious? I will do home checks.
And most importantly - which of you wonderful people would have room in your heart for one if these babies?!! Lol!! Only joking -well kind of!

Mummy is actually gorgeous and very friendly so I may be asking about bonding advice later!!!!!
Thanks in advance
26b18bdc83ebc9778619289bd31f7684.jpg
[/IMG]
f03e098c602b0351612bc8228822d582.jpg
[/IMG]
dbe16554fece9fdc1e4f960c8bbc402b.jpg
[/IMG]
d0a79495827056ce72cc20705c7572df.jpg
[/IMG]

not to sure about the questions you asked so no help there:lol: (sure someone more experienced will be along soon!) but just wanted to say they are sooo cute! also is that pictures of your set up? if so are they woodshavings i cant really tell but woodshavings arent great for bedding if they are:thumb:

also is that pictures of your set up? if so are they woodshavings i cant really tell but woodshavings arent great for bedding if they are:thumb:

Thanks for reply! No that is what they were on when I got them. They are on hay now!

They are lovely :love: Answers to your questions below:

So I suppose what I'm asking is:
When do babies need to come away from mum? The boys need to come away at 12 weeks, but after 11 weeks I'd be checking regularly for signs of the balls dropping, as that is when they become fertile. The girls don't have to come away from mum. If you wanted to remove them from now you can do so, they are old enough.
When do boys and girls need separating? I read it was 3 months but wanted to check. It depends when you are getting them neutered. If you get the boys neutered as soon as the balls drop (about 12 weeks) then there is no need to, also you could get them all neutered at 15-16 weeks together if your vet is good enough. If you are not planning to neuter them yet, I'd remove the boys at about 12-14 weeks old.
Should I vaccinate all the babies before rehoming? Yes, I would, and neuter them too if they are old enough when they leave. This will help ensure they go to the right homes who appreciate that these things need to be done.
Should I ask a small amount of money to be sure people are serious? I will do home checks. Yes, or you will attract the wrong sort of owners. I'd ask for £30 if not neutered or £50-70 if neutered and vaccinated. The way to look at it is, if they aren't willing to spend that on getting the animal, will they be prepared to spend money on vet fees?

Was Dad in with mum when you got them? If so, I would probably separate the babies from her now, as she will probably have another litter on the way.

Not sure what situation you found them in, but well done for getting them out of it.

Last edited:
:wave: hi, and welcome to the forum :D well done for rescuing them :thumb: theres an excellent thread about taking on baby bunnies here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies that may provide answers to a lot of your questions about when to separate them etc. I would vaccinate to be sure they were done. I would ask for money to cover the costs of vaccinations etc. and to be sure they were serious. I would have mum spayed to avoid her getting cancer of the womb, a high percentage of adult females die from it if left un spayed (I think it's 80%) I would make sure the babies are spayed/neutered too, either before or after they are rehomed.

Back