• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It was busy in Pets at home today...

P@h are in the centre of it while selling "stock " isnt what i call ideal, they are not the worst, just the easier target.

The main target should be the smaller pets shops, was bad enough when i was once in kingston, walked into a pet shop had to walk out, as not only did i see the normal, piggie and rabbit combo, fish etc, but 2 kittens in a huge bird cage and a puppy,

while pets at home are getting slated, these small pet shops are not getting enough media attention to ban animals from being sold in them

while P@h isnt ideal, I suggest you look around for more small petshops selling animals and you will see P@h are not AS bad

Theres two pets at homes near me as i am in the middle of both. One i like, its always clean theres always lots of hideys for the animals, theres even a hutch like hidey for them to completly hide if they want to. The staff are really good, and i like it there. Theres always loads of hay, and toys too.

The other has no hideys what so ever, not even one, never hay, and no toys. and they offer poor advice.

I dont dislike pets at home as a whole company because thats not fair, i look at each store at individual. I dont look for utopia or anything like that, and i certainly dont bash pets at home because there is a very good one near me!

I know - wasn't directing this at you specifically but in general :wave:

I think the problem here is education as I was having a discussion with a very good friend of mine (who has just got guinea pigs thanks to me but is aged 40+ and has never had a pet in her life :shock:~), and she said if it wasn't for talking to me, she would never have realised that putting a rabbit or guinea in a cage that size would be a problem :?

Thankfully, she's a sensible lady who did her research and I went through everything with her before she got the two little piggies. They are indoors with a huge run and very well looked after.

Unfortunately, doesn't matter how we look at it, we are in the minority regarding animal care and until that tide turns, we'll just have to keep on fighting and putting the word out ;)

P@h are in the centre of it while selling "stock " isnt what i call ideal, they are not the worst, just the easier target.

The main target should be the smaller pets shops, was bad enough when i was once in kingston, walked into a pet shop had to walk out, as not only did i see the normal, piggie and rabbit combo, fish etc, but 2 kittens in a huge bird cage and a puppy,

while pets at home are getting slated, these small pet shops are not getting enough media attention to ban animals from being sold in them

while P@h isnt ideal, I suggest you look around for more small petshops selling animals and you will see P@h are not AS bad

I agree that P@H aren't the worst culprits by a long chalk. HOWEVER, the way I see it is that, as a leading chain, they should be good role models. To use OFSTED parlance, P@H might be 'Satisfactory', but isn't 'Outstanding' what they should be aiming for? They could easily achieve this status if they so desired. That's what's getting to me. If they did become 'Outstanding' other pet shops would either be forced out of business or HAVE to raise their own standards, to try and compete.

For me, I'm sticking with 'The Hay Experts' - at least they DO have the animals' interests at heart!

Last edited:

You dont need to "suggest" i look around for small petshops like i need a lesson or anything - there is a pet shop near me that is AWFUL, they keep rabbits in hamster cages, and pets at home is my best pet shop in my area, so i know what other shops are like.

It was just a thread of some things i got for my bunnies and and how i didnt like the way the store was laid out with all the easter deals, i wasnt slating anybody or any pet shop it was an opinion on my local store.

Back